Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The End of SP

darksoulSP

My good friends... The day has finally come. With Gyarados sweeping Cities, the new and improved Machamp, and VileGar locking up Trainers and Leveling-Down Dialga GX, the once powerful archetype known as SP has finally died. I played against two SP decks these past few Cities and maimed both of them, with only one in Top in a few of the areas. The time to rejoice is here. It is FINALLY here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still playing sp, and I did pretty well yesterday with BLG :D
Unfortunetly, Kiko and I seem to be the only one's playing it here :p

Uhhh Im not to sure on what results youre looking at, but it still looks like Luxchomp is dominating with Gyarados close behind, and Vilegar still not winning much in masters.

I don't think it's exactly dead. Luxchomps are still winning, and DialgaChomp was only topping with some of the best players at the helm, plus, it's only been a week.

Last edited:
SP isn't "dead", per-se, but certain not as dominant as it once was. I'm pretty happy about that, I'm liking the variety of our format right now, in truth.

I don't think Sp is dying at all, I think everything just finally got on par with it's Speed and Resources. I'm suprised Gigigas isn't winning as much as I thought it would. But oh well.

I don't think Sp is dying at all, I think everything just finally got on par with it's Speed and Resources. I'm suprised Gigigas isn't winning as much as I thought it would. But oh well.

cause' not many people are playing gigas TBH. Plus it has a bad machamp matchup.

SP isn't dead at all. Its just that there are now other good decks that are balancing the format so SP's are having a tough time consistently coming out at the top like it used to. By no means does this signal the SP decks death. Its still incredibly strong.

sp is far from dead, its not being played as much as it was. hell palkia lock ,ight just make a comeback just for the matter that ppl are now playing things other than luxray

My thought is that the 'death' of SP decks won't happen until all or the majority of the cards that make SP good are rotated.

Of course, you will get the players that are mad and are going to quit playing, because that is all they have ever played and have no clue about anything outside of SP decks.

But, we had that same situation with Pidgey, Holon, Claydol...

SP is far from dead as it is still a solid deck to pick.
SP however DID get plenty of new adversaries and old upgraded adversarires.

I count like 15 masters wins for SP decks in the 'What won Cities' thread.

If you think that means dead, I'm glad you aren't my doctor.

Aaaahhhhhhaahahahahahahah! You, are you serious? SP is FAR from dead. People just haven't adjusted fully to the new decks, and all that. All in all, it's just the matter of SKILL. The best players use SPs, because they are the best decks in general.

The typical SP deck doesn't get any boost from Triumphant (but well, Staraptor with Black Belt is still nice), while most other decks did. Gyarados and Machamp have cards that make them so much better, and even Vilegar can benefit a lot from Twins, Recue Energy and Gengar Prime.

So it's obvious that SP isn't as dominant as it was at Battle Roads, but it's still a tier 1 deck that wins matches and tournaments.

Back