Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Tournament Resistance Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceptilious

Hi,

Is there a formula for manually calculating a players resistance ?
I know the tournament software automatically calculates it now, but is there a formula for calculating it manually ?
Can you tell me what the formula is ?
Will the formula end up with the same value as the tournament software ?

Thanks.
:pokeball:

To calculate a player's OP Win%, you look at the scores of the player's opponents. You add the Win % of each player he or she played and then divide the sum by the number of opponents that player had (you are trying to find an average)

To calculate a player's OP OP Win% you add the Win% of his or her opponent's opponents and then divide appropriately to find the average.

As to whether you get the same number as the tournament software, it depends on whether you include byes. Currently, if you want to find a players Win% who played 5 rounds, got one bye, 2 losses, and two wins, you are not allowed to count the bye, so you should say that the player has a Win% of 50 (2 wins out of the 4 rounds he or she played). However, TOM would give that player a Win% of 60 (3 wins out of 5 rounds- including the bye).

This unfortunately, is one of the ways that TOM makes the TO run tournaments in a way that violates POP rules. However, TMS does calculate OP Win% correctly by not including byes.

Last edited:
yeah, i still don't understand how they calculate you win % and lose % if you got a bye...i mean, byes have no experience whatsoever.

Take for an example a 4 round tournament.

Player A went 3-1 and played the following people with these records

Player B 4-0 (100%)
Player C 3-1 (75%)
Player D 2-2 (50%)
Player E 1-3 (25%)

Average the Opponent's Win % to get your Op. Win% stat: 62.5%
Op. Op. Win % is the same except it averages all of your Opponents, Op. Win % stats.
Losing always helps your Op. Win% stat, winning always hurts it, initially.

I don't know how TOM handles byes though. :/

Professor_Chris said:
I don't know how TOM handles byes though. :/
Read post 3. A bye does count as a win in TOM. In a five round tournament, a player who was given a bye still has his or her Win% counted as though he or she played all of those rounds. THAT is how TOM does it (even though it is in violation of 2005-2005 TO procedures).

EDIT: the correct way is to just ignore the round that was a bye.
If I played in a five round tournament and got one bye, my Win% would be my number of wins divided by four (because I played four rounds).

Number of wins (byes excluded)/ number of rounds played = Win%

Last edited:
ninetales1234 said:
Read post 3. A bye does count as a win in TOM. In a five round tournament, a player who was given a bye still has his or her Win% counted as though he or she played all of those rounds. THAT is how TOM does it (even though it is in violation of 2005-2005 TO procedures).

EDIT: the correct way is to just ignore the round that was a bye.
If I played in a five round tournament and got one bye, my Win% would be my number of wins divided by four (because I played four rounds).

Number of wins (byes excluded)/ number of rounds played = Win%
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to count your opponent's Byes for your Op. Win%. Otherwise that's punishing you for playing against someone who happened to get a bye.

Now, if you get a bye, when you go to average your Op. Win% you should ignore that round. But, if you're figuring out your Win% you count your bye. Win%=Wins/Rounds. If you went 3-1 and had a bye, you still won 75% of your games. The very first "tie break" is Record and your Win% is DIRECTLY tied to your record. People with like records then look at the average of their opponent's Win% (Record). If you got a bye, thats not a real opponent, so it's ignored when calculating Op. Win%.

Player B 4-0 (100%)
Player C Bye
Player D 2-2 (50%)
Player E 1-3 (25%)

Your Win% should be 75% (based on actual record) your Op. Win% should be 58.333%

Atleast thats how I think it should be done.

Professor_Chris said:

Player B 4-0 (100%)
Player C Bye
Player D 2-2 (50%)
Player E 1-3 (25%)

Your Win% should be 75% (based on actual record) your Op. Win% should be 58.333%

Atleast thats how I think it should be done.

TMS would calculate your Win% as as 50, because you won 50% of the rounds you played. When calculating the OP Win% of a player for whom player A was an opponent, player A's Win% would be considered 50. That is the correct way to do it according to the TO procedures.

2005-2006 TO Procedures said:
If there is an odd number of participants, the player without an
opponent is given a Bye, which counts as a Win but is not included
when calculating tiebreakers
unknown said:
http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.p...66&postcount=4
That information is outdated. That's from back when a win gave you three points and a tie gave you one point (EVEN THOUGH THERE'S NO SUCH THING IN A POKEMON MATCH). Also, the thing about player drops is outdated as well.
If a player dropped from the event before it was completed,
then that player’s win percentage is the number of wins
divided by the number of rounds in the tournament with a
minimum of 1 win. This buffers the impact that dropping
early in the tournament has on the opponents of the players
who drop. For example, if a player loses the first match of a
5-round tournament and then drops from the tournament, his
win percentage will be counted as 1/5, or 20%, instead of
0/5, or 0%.
I don't agree with that rule. I think that only counting the rounds that were actually played (like what unknown's post suggested) is better.

Last edited:
ninetales1234 said:
TMS would calculate your Win% as as 50, because you won 50% of the rounds you played. When calculating the OP Win% of a player for whom player A was an opponent, player A's Win% would be considered 50. That is the correct way to do it according to the TO procedures.
So TMS is doing it wrong. You get credit for your Opponent's Byes, just not your own.

If there is an odd number of participants, the player without an
opponent is given a Bye, which counts as a Win but is not included
when calculating tiebreakers
I'm pretty sure what that means is that if you have a bye in one of your rounds, you ignore that round when averaging Op. Win%. You still get full credit for your Opponent's Byes.

ninetales1234 said:
I don't agree with that rule. I think that only counting the rounds that were actually played (like what unknown's post suggested) is better.
I disagree. The buffer is a VERY good thing. It helps keep bad players who quit from hurting a good players % too much. A lot of people at Nationals got royally screwed because their early round opponents bombed and dropped after like 3 rounds to go play in side events. :/ Had these people kept playing they might have won one or two games.

Professor_Chris said:
I'm pretty sure what that means is that if you have a bye in one of your rounds, you ignore that round when averaging Op. Win%. You still get full credit for your Opponent's Byes.
then isn't a guy gonna be at a disadvantage if A got a 3-1 record and B did 3-1 too, but the first guy got a bye so odds are he has lower resistance if the other guy loss to some really good guy.
i think byes aren't that good tho.

Okay, drop the part about the drops and the part about the byes, which yes is outdated. The part about the three points and the the first tie break (Op win %) is still correct. I just verified that with a CC I just ran. I looked at four people, and did the first tie breaker manually, and it came out just as the program did. You still get three points for a win, and no points for a loss. The points are not important to your record, but it still is instrumental in calculating your Opponents Win Percentage.

Edit: Figured out the part about the bye:

If you have a bye, there are NO POINTS AWARDED. To find the Op Win % add the scores of the opponents (3 pts per win) and divide by the total possible points that could have been scored by our opps.

For example:

Player [A] :
Had a bye first round.
Played somebody who went 1/4
Played somebody who went 4/1
Played somebody who went 3/2
Played somebody who went 3/2
-------------------------------
Total points earned by opponents: 33
-------------------------------

Possible points:
4 Opponent each able to earn 3 points per round times 5 rounds.
So 4 x 3 x 5 = 60

33/60= 55%

Player [A]'s Op Win % was infact 55%.

Last edited:
Just checked TOM and it performed exactly like I thought it should.

Any round you recieved a bye is ignored in the calculation.
You count your Opponent's byes.

Op. Win%=Total value of all real opponents' Win%/Number of rounds you did not recieve a bye. (i.e. average and treat the bye round as if it didn't exist)

Win%=Games Won (Byes included)/Rounds played

Chris' way is correct, and is the easiest. My way is not incorrect though, it is just the longer way to get the same answer as Chris. I noticed that I ended up multiplying by three and then just dividing it out again.

I remember there was a guy who've posted the whole formula in this board...it was much more complicated than this if I remember.

The buffer is a VERY good thing. It helps keep bad players who quit from hurting a good players % too much. A lot of people at Nationals got royally screwed because their early round opponents bombed and dropped after like 3 rounds to go play in side events. :/ Had these people kept playing they might have won one or two games.
I think the buffer is good too. I just don't think TOM should count a bye when calculating OP Win%, because we don't know if those opponents would actually have won that round had they actually played a match.

Thanks everyone for responding !

I guess this is why your resistance is so bad when someone you played drops from a tournament :nonono:

:pokeball:

Tournament Operations Manager 1.X (TOM) follows the 2005-2006 Tournament Operations Procedures when calculating tie breakers (and all other procedures).

Please note that TMS 1.16 (Tournament Management System) is now not supported by POP, so we will not discuss how tie breakers are calculated with that program.

If you feel that a tie breaker was incorrectly calculated in a tournament that you played in or ran as a TO, please email (or have the TO do it) the tournament file to [email protected] and provide a thorough description of what you think was incorrectly calculated. Please do not email opinions about the 2005-2006 Tournament Operations Procedures. All of those comments should be directed to [email protected].

Thanks,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back