Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Virginia Gym Challenge, May 20, 10:00 A.M. Updated w/ Final Results at end of thread

totoro

TOURNAMENT INFO:
Get that pesky invite out of the way early!!

Date: SATURDAY May 20, 2006

Time: Registration is from 10-10:45 A.M. Please arrive promptly!! Players not registered by 10:45 A.M. may receive a first round loss!! Tourney starts promptly at 11:00.

Location: New venue!! Room for all! (Don’t disappoint me, guys!!—let’s fill the house!!)
Richmond Airport and Hotel and Conference Center (formerly Holiday Inn Richmond Airport, transitioning to a Best Western)
5203 Williamsburg Rd
Sandston, VA 23150
(804) 222-6450

Directions:

From the North:
I-95 S to Exit 84A (I-295 S toward Rocky Mt)
I-295 to Exit 31B (Airport Dr toward Highland Springs)
Appox 3 miles later, make a right onto US 60 (Williamsburg Rd)
Hotel is 0.8 mi on left

From the South:
I-95 N to exit 46 (I-295 N)
Take exit 22B onto New Market Rd
Rt on S. Laburnum Ave (3 mi)
Rt on Williamsburg Rd (0.4 mi)
Hotel on rt

From the West:
I-64 East to exit 195 (Laburnum Ave). Bear rt at the fork to go onto S. Laburnum Ave
After 1 mile make the left onto Williamsburg Rd.
Go 0.4 mi on Williamsburg Rd.
Hotel on rt

From the East:
I-64 West to exit 197A Airport Dr.
Make the right from Airport Dr onto Williamsburg Rd
About 0.8 mi down rd, hotel is on left

Locals: pm me for directions!!

Make sure to have your POP# if you have one! If you need a POP ID #, one will be provided for you onsite.
Deck Lists are required (of course), please download and fill out the list here http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/content/events/docs/2005-2006/Gym_Deck_List_HL.pdf

Blank lists will be provided on site, but please have all lists completed and submitted by 10:45 A.M.

Entry Fee: FREE

Tournament structure: The Virginia Gym Challenge is run using the Modified Constructed Format and Age Modified Swiss pairings. Podded Swiss will be used if attendance warrants. See the Pokémon Floor Rules for information about the Modified Format. The number of Swiss rounds run will depend on total attendance at the event. There will be a cut to finals. Finals will be played in a best two of three format with a 1 hour time limit.
(Max top 8 cut per age group)

Prizes are awarded to the top 8 players in each age category (10 & Under, 11-14, and 15 and up)
Participants will receive a Pokémon TCG Gym Challenge promo card, a commemorative Gym Challenge pin, and two POP promo packs while supplies last!

The top 8 finishers in each of the three age categories receive the following prizes:

1st Place
An invitation to the Pokémon TCG World Championships in 2006!!
A Travel Award for the winner (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2006 World Championships in Anaheim, California.
36 booster packs of the most current Pokémon TCG expansion

2nd Place
18 booster packs of the most current Pokémon TCG expansion

3rd & 4th Place
9 booster packs of the most current Pokémon TCG expansion

5th through 8th Place
4 booster packs of the most current Pokémon TCG expansion

Coloring Contest
Open to all!! Random winner will receive a Spinda Plushie!!

Door Prizes
Straight from the Pokémon Center! Rayquaza hat!
Straight from the Pokémon Center! Groudon hat!
Combo pack of Legend Maker/Unseen Forces packs w/coin and POP 1 Metagross holofoil!
Plushies!! You want 'em, you got 'em--Sableye, Poochyena, and the ever-popular Spoink!!
Straight from Japan--Pokémon Craft DX--part origami, all fun!!
For the anime lovers--Pokemon DVDs (thanx, Kim!!)

Side Events
Holon Phantoms Booster Drafts will be held. Cost: $15.00 for 5 packs. Each player will receive one additional pack at the conclusion of the draft tourney (more for winners!)

Special Note: Please be aware that Gym Challenges are a “one and done” this year. Players who have won an invite to World Championships 2006 may not participate in the main event.

Hope to see everyone there!!

Mr. T.

Last edited:
No, Nats is the place where a worlds "pass down" is a possibility. I imagine that there'll be a lot of questions about this as Gyms approach.

when is the draft, like after top 8 is posted or after the tourny. cuz if its after the tourny i'd like to judge it, but if its during the top 8, i'll be too busy playing ;-)

I should be able to come on the 20th if I don't work. I was going to ask off on that day, but it seems the managers aren't letting anyone ask off for any dates in May. Rodney won't be able to go but I'll be there for sure.

ShadowCard said:
What are the places for lunch?
Ahh, Shadow asks the truly important questions. Arby's, Mickey Dees, and Wendy's are all really close. There's a Mexican restaurant (called, strangely enough, Mexico Restaurant) right next door.

And what's up with MD?? Without RR to post, I've seen absolutely nothing about the event. "He who must not be named" might want to go up....

Mr. T.

totoro said:
Ahh, Shadow asks the truly important questions. Arby's, Mickey Dees, and Wendy's are all really close.
*bows*
Define "close," please. Is it a distance that takes 5 minutes driving or is it possible to walk there is in under 5 minutes? When I write "close" on my flyers, I don't want anyone else who may come to yell at me about my definition of close :wink:

totoro said:
And what's up with MD?? Without RR to post, I've seen absolutely nothing about the event. "He who must not be named" might want to go up....
Will you be playing in the event as well?
I got my info from the dream wizards website :/

ludicolous said:
im there- PROMISE this time :-D
I'll see you at table one - the game after you'll be at table 2 :tongue:

Mexico is right next door--easy walk, same side of street, etc. The hotel is on the main rd between the city and the airport, so I wouldn't walk anywhere else!! But the Arby's is less than 1 minute away, across the street. The others are about a 3 minute drive.

totoro said:
Mexico is right next door--easy walk, same side of street, etc. The hotel is on the main rd between the city and the airport, so I wouldn't walk anywhere else!! But the Arby's is less than 1 minute away, across the street. The others are about a 3 minute drive.

How is Mexico right next door? :tongue: :lol:

But seriously It'll be nice right after exams to relax at a pokemon tournament (looks at prizes) WAIT ONE MINUTE I CAN'T RELAX YET! There is something I want on the line. So Sunday I'll be relaxing with my invite:biggrin: :eek: :clap:

Miamisportsfan45 said:
I'll probly win one before this GC anyways so yea but just in case its safe to get a ride.

This is the first possible chance to win a GC--how can you win one before VA????:confused: :confused:

Back