Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Virginia States Info--March 13

totoro

Plan on attending the 2009-2010 Virginia State Pokémon Championships coming March 13!!
We're back in Dale City this year (same site as the 2007-2008 State Championships)
Details:
Location: Dale City Volunteer Fire Department, Desanto Community Hall
13511 Hillendale Drive, Dale City, VA 22193
Registration Time: Decks will be checked against a completed decklist beginning at 8:30 AM. Players not in line with a completed decklist by 9:30 AM may receive a round 1 loss. Players are encouraged to complete their decklist legibly--the "SteveP" decklist generator found here on PokeGym is highly recommended by the PTO and staff.
Additional details and prizing will be announced here as information becomes available!

Well, I'll make sure to put this in my calendar, and will also hope it doesn't snow!

We're back in Dale City this year (same site as the 2007-2008 State Championships)
And still the location of my best tournament performance! It will really be interesting to see what HGSS will bring to the table in terms of the types of decks played.

I'll have to try to find some time for deck building/testing. I've been so "out of it" pokemon wise this year. :(

I take it we'll have the Pittsburgh/Eastern OH PTO in the house!! Pretty cool, since my wife Pam grew up in Pittsburgh!! AJ, I'm not in the NoVA area myself, but the largest VA player base is, so this is where I run the State Champs. I can tell you from past experience, that most of the major chains are represented in the Dale City/Woodbridge area in the Potomac Mills Mall vicinity. PM is a mega-mall that attracts shoppers from the VA/MD area. A bit north and south, respectively are Fairfax and Fredericksburg/Stafford. I've found these areas to have slightly cheaper hotels than in Woodbridge/Dale City(again, the major HI, Hilton, and Mariott brands are all there) so it comes down to price/distance. I'll be spending Fri and Sat night up there myself, so I'll be room-hunting, too. (That is unless we all crash at the Sanyers!!! :wink:)

Anybody have any recommendations or warnings about hotels near the venue?
Like totoro said, we're still looking into it. I'll put a list together and get it up on the website this Thursday. In Potomac Mills, there are various hotels which are about 10-15 minutes from the fire dept. Fairfax (GMU) is 45 minutes north of Dale City; Stafford is about 30 minutes South of Dale City.

(That is unless we all crash at the Sanyers!!! :wink:)
Tell him there's a booster draft at his place. He won't be able to resist :biggrin: *mwhahaha*

... is highly recommended by the PTO and staff.
Are you subtly hinting that I am playing this year? :frown:

Yup, I'll be there! I have tickets to a Jonathan Coulton in Alexandria on Friday, so I figure might as well come out! Plus, it'll be good practice to test out the metagame since I'm head judging Ohio States, it's always nice to familiarize myself with the details.

This info will be everywhere soon enough, but here is the prizing structure for SPTs this year: (all per age group, natch!)
1st Place: 36 packs / Trophy / Playmat
2nd Place: 16 packs / Trophy
3rd Place: 8 packs / Trophy
4th Place: 8 packs / Trophy
5th thru 8th Places: 4 packs

Last edited:
Shadow C, IIRC, there was a 4th place trophy in the past but I don't think we had one last year...

Of course, you da man when it comes to data gathering!!

Edit: of course, you are correct! 2009 was the first year we went to a trophy for 4th--previous years only had top 3. I'll edit, sorry!

Anybody have any recommendations or warnings about hotels near the venue?

Here's a list of 8 places, 4 in Potomac Mills and 4 in Fairfax. There were more in the search results for hotels but these 8 are what I settled on when I got down to making the list. http://sites.google.com/site/virginiapokemon/tournaments/upcoming/hotel

If anyone would like to add any hotels to the list or would like to recommend or unrecommend a hotel currently on the list, let me know in this thread.

Shadow C, IIRC, there was a 4th place trophy in the past but I don't think we had one last year...

Of course, you da man when it comes to data gathering!!

Edit: of course, you are correct! 2009 was the first year we went to a trophy for 4th--previous years only had top 3. I'll edit, sorry!

I for one am glad that they finally realized that the difference between 3rd and 4th, even more so when there's no playoff between them, shouldn't mean the difference between getting and not getting a trophy. Before that, being 4th really sucked. Now, 4th is awesome! (not as awesome as first obviously, but still awesome :p)

I'll have to try to find some time for deck building/testing. I've been so "out of it" pokemon wise this year. :(

Me too my friend, me too.

If I can convince my dad to take me, I'll go just to try and get back into the game a little bit.(as a side note for anyone from the Richmond league, I haven't quit, I've just been busy the past few weeks) If I go, I'll just go with a Gengar and hope to win a couple lol. Either way, good luck to all the competitors.

Back