Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What is your favorite RPG?

moza

Pretty much what the title says. Mine has got to be Kights of the Old Republic, a star-wars based RPG with an amazing storyline and an involved point-allocation system. What is your favorite RPG, and why? *205th post :)*

Hmm...Aren't the Fire Emblem games considered Tactics/RPG? Then I'd have to say that, because it's a blend of the two most awesomest genres ever =P. Then again, so is FFTA...so it'd be a tie between those two.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority that post on this thread are going to say some kind of FF game or a clone of it. Just because of the kind of audience that frequents this board. Not a bad thing, thats just the nature of the beast. However, I agree with KOTOR, it did win game of the year for a reason. I also liked Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale (both on PC)

I will have to give my vote to either Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Paper Mario(1 although 2 was great), or Final Fantasy II(FFIV for you purists).

For me Dragon Quest 8, Final Fantasy 7 and 10 (FF Yes I know) or Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories GBA these are all up at the top of my RPGs

I really enjoyed FF2 for GBA. I think that the storyline was more engaging than FF4, the characters were more personable, and the levelup system has yet to be matched by any RPG that I've played. I'm also really liking the Golden Sun saga. I say the saga because the first game was too short (20 hours first run, and I could probably make it in under 15 on the next, really pathetic for an RPG. It also ended right in the middle of the game, which ticked me off no end.) The entire saga is very well done with challanging puzzles and a massive world to travel. I do miss the whole "the world is round" thing that FF has going, tho...

well, im gonna have to go along with fastphil's comment there, yes one of my favorites is a Final Fantasy. BUT, its Final Fantasy 3 (the NES one, all US SNES numberings are considered null and void by now since theyve had correct numbering on re-releases), which the vast majority of the people in here havent played :thumb:

but aside from that, my favorite one, and the game thats been perhaps the most influencial to me as a game developer, is Castle of the Winds. This was a two-part roguelike RPG made for Windows 3.0, which has nowadays been made for free by the author, so you can go download it and play it. Despite its age, it actually runs with no problem on practically any Windows system (except if you're running XP Pro x64, which it will not run on becasue its a 16-bit compiled executable and not 32-bit), so you can go download it and play it right now. Go do it!!:clap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds <-- Wikipedia entry, links on there lead to downloads

bullados said:
and the levelup system has yet to be matched by any RPG that I've played.
*gotta comment on that one* didnt we get any of the Romancing SaGa series over here? I know at least Romancing SaGa 3 used that same leveling system and i was under the impression the rest of the series did as well.

Note the last part of that sentance. I haven't really played many RPGs, having only really started in earnest late last year. I've got a LOT of catching up to do.

Professor_Chris said:
Disgaea for the win. Can't wait for Disgaea 2. :3

I'll probably agree with you when they REDUCE THE DAMN PRICE.

Does San Andreas count as an RPG? I mean, you take over your character's life, there's side missions and talking to people, stat upgrades, equipment upgrades, evolving storyline, even a sword for traditionalists. If it does, that'd be mine.

If it doesn't, uh, probably Link to the Past or Terranigma or Grandia. I don't have the time to devote to proper RPGs much anymore. I never was a fan of FF.

Dunjohn said:
I'll probably agree with you when they REDUCE THE DAMN PRICE.

Does San Andreas count as an RPG? I mean, you take over your character's life, there's side missions and talking to people, stat upgrades, equipment upgrades, evolving storyline, even a sword for traditionalists. If it does, that'd be mine.

If it doesn't, uh, probably Link to the Past or Terranigma or Grandia. I don't have the time to devote to proper RPGs much anymore. I never was a fan of FF.
Well, you can blame a limited print run and rabid fan base for that. :x I had to buy my used copy off ebay somewhat recently for $45-ish. :/ It was worth it though. I love it.

Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X all the way. DragonQuest VIII is pretty close, as is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

My all-time favourite? I don't really have one, too many good RPGs. I'd say it's a tossup between Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy Tactics, Bahamut Lagoon, and Tales of Phantasia for me.

Back