Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What should be reprinted in X and Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokedan24

So far in X and Y, it looks like we're getting a reprint of Juniper and Cheren (but with different names), Eviolite (that's not limited to basics), Energy search (that gets you two), and Dark Claw (that's not limited to Dark Pokemon). What other cards do you want to be reprinted?

My definite picks.

Skyla: The best search supporter in format. Not many other cards can fetch trainers and being a supporter keeps Skyla from becoming too broken.

Bianca: We need more simple draw supporters other than Juniper and Cheren reprints. N is insanely broken (how many games have come down to N to 1s?), Colress is terrible early game, and a lot of the other draw supporters are either too weak (Hugh) or too random (Ghetsis). That leaves the simple, but effective Bianca as the best secondary supporter.

Switch: This just seems like a format staple.

Float Stone: Same as above. It performs the same function as switch, but in tool form.

Energy Switch: Another format staple. This allows for some tricky plays and provides pseudo acceleration for any deck.

EXP Share: More pseudo acceleration.

Tool Scrapper: As long as good tools exist, this is a must.

Bicycle: The perfect draw item and the perfect card to make Skyla non a dead draw. Much better than the flippy Roller Skates we're getting next set.

Ultra Ball/Level Ball/Heavy Ball: I couldn't imagine a format without these cards. Ultra Ball is the perfect search card, allowing a player to get any pokemon with a drawback to keep it balanced. Level Ball and Heavy Ball are great as they make it so Pokemon with low HP or high retreat costs get the benefit of an easy search.

ACE Specs: I really the concept of ACE specs and was worried when no new ACE specs were printed in the X and Y set. Computer Search and Dowsing Machine are the big ones that I hope to see reprinted, but I also hope we get tactical cards like Scramble Switch and Scoop Up Cyclone.

And one I'd like to see: A supporter that shuts off your opponents abilities (and not your own) until the end of your opponents next turn. With disruptive supporters becoming more and more common, this would be a welcome addition. Most importantly, it would shut off Trevenant, giving you the freedom to play items for a turn.

Tool Scrapper is a must sometime in the next few sets, since Garbodor was reprinted in LTR.

I miss Pokémon Communication. Energy Exchange might be interesting in this format too.

A Supporter search card like Pokémon Collector might be overpowered in this EX-heavy format.
Just short of that, Roseanne's Research was a wonderful Supporter card for consistency.

But I'm also all for new cards. Looking forward to Super Potion and Evolution Soda.

I don't really want to see anything reprinted. We've been playing with nearly the same draw engine for far, FAR too long, and I'm bored of it. Let's stop reprinting cards over and over and get some new stuff.

Most people will have said this already and it probably will be unlikely but I would like Tropical Beach.

Most likely I find that will be reprinted:
  • PlusPower
  • Switch
  • Pokemon Communication

These are the ones I find most likely to be reprinted. If you feel I am wrong, please feel free to correct me, I'm only going off past sets.

Most people will have said this already and it probably will be unlikely but I would like Tropical Beach.

Most likely I find that will be reprinted:
  • PlusPower
  • Switch
  • Pokemon Communication

These are the ones I find most likely to be reprinted. If you feel I am wrong, please feel free to correct me, I'm only going off past sets.

Switch was already reprinted in the Kalos Starter Set.

I'm pretty sure that Muscle Band is the complete replacement for PlusPower. It seems to work in a way similar to the original PlusPower effect, but more appropriate for the way the cardgame works right now: Trainer cards that attach to a Pokémon being counted as tools; not having to discard it after use. Same goes for Hard Charm working similarly how Defender did.

Communication, I agree. It would be nice to have.

I'd like to see some of the technical machines reprinted the one that gives evolutor as an attack would be useful for bringing stage 2 back into the game

Switch was already reprinted in the Kalos Starter Set.

I'm pretty sure that Muscle Band is the complete replacement for PlusPower. It seems to work in a way similar to the original PlusPower effect, but more appropriate for the way the cardgame works right now: Trainer cards that attach to a Pokémon being counted as tools; not having to discard it after use. Same goes for Hard Charm working similarly how Defender did.

Communication, I agree. It would be nice to have.

Yes I am aware of that. All my 'said' predictions are based on past sets mainly DP and HGSS.

A short-list of stuff that I'd like to see either reprinted or have something with a similar effect:

Professor Oak's New Theory
TV Reporter
Holon Mentor (this one, I'd like to be identical to the original)
Pokemon Communication
Roseanne's Research with an EX restriction.
Dual Ball with an HP restriction.
Luxury Ball

I'd love to see Mr. Fuji reprinted... except it already is being reprinted!

I'd also love to see a supporter that did the same thing as Nightly Garbage Run. No idea how it would fit thematically, though.

I honestly feel like we get reprinted cards far too often. If it's not a direct reprint, it's a "copy" (Muscle Band copying Dark Claw, Hard Charm copying Eviolite, etc). Part of the fun of the game is the ever-changing formats and strategies. If we keep reprinting the same cards (like Juniper), then you never have to come up with new strategies. Other than "staple" cards that have been reprinted since the beginning of time (Potion, Switch, etc), I'd be pleased if we didn't get reprints for a very long time. Lol. (Especially when you consider the fact we just got a whole set of reprints!)

I don't think a dang thing should be reprinted. We need NEW cards. New out of the ordinary abilities on pokemon and trainers with different/weird effects that open new avenues for strategy to creep back into the game.
Maybe a reprint of rare candy to give us T1 stage 2's again or broken time space?
Those would be the only cards I would consider being good reprints. Plus power would be stupid to reprint.
4 plus power + muscle band + benched deoxys, damage would be getting out of hand on a consistent basis, as if it isn't already.

Maybe a pokemon center ace spec card if they would still reprint ace specs.
Heal all damage on your entire side of the board and remove all energies attached to those pokemon.
A HUGE card to bring back that would probably single handly change the format would be boost energy.

On the other hand, not having reprints, and also not having cards that serve similar functions, make those cards expensive and difficult for new players to acquire. For example, I've found it difficult lately to help new Junior & Senior players build simple decks without a lot of good Basics search in the format. Level Ball is old enough that it's really expensive, Poke Ball and Great Ball are poor substitutes (gosh I wish they would stop re-printing those cards), and Heavy Ball and Team Plasma Ball are too specific. A re-print of Level Ball or Dual Ball, or a new Ball trainer, would be nice. Or Pokemon Communication would help.

Evolution Soda is coming, that should help.

I had no idea Level Ball was so hard to get now. Interesting.
(Gonna go home and count how many I have tonight.)

Communication, Super Scoop Up, Pluspower, Tool Scrapper and Revive are probably the headliners of my choices. I like a few of the other suggestions in this thread, too, particularly Energy Exchanger, which I think would be a very nice fit in this format. Supporter-wise, I think we're fine at this point. Between Juniper, N, Skyla, Colress and Cheren/Tierno, we have everything we should need. I'd be fine with some more Supporters that do things other than search or draw, though. Things like Marley's Request and Hooligans Jim & Cas. (Yes, I know we still have the latter, just an example of what I meant. ;p)

And rileysill32, Pluspower is weak, not uber-powerful. You could get almost the same effect as you described with just Laser and Virbank City Gym instead of 3+ copies of the one card which isn't easy to amass. (Indeed, even Deoxys is easier to get multiples of.) It's not a useless card, either, but Hypnotoxic Laser does make it really, really weak. (And it kinda fell out of use before Laser even came out anyway.)

Bianca being a strong draw option sucks, because it means supporter draw is weak in the format.

I'd rather see something like Oak's New Theory, or maybe a generic discard 1 draw 4 supporter.

You know what'd be cool to see back since they made a point of rotating Eelektrick And Nothing Else? Juggler.

Also, to go along with the heavily-hinted-at-and-probably-inevitable Gen 3 remakes, Steven's Advice <3333333

preemptive edit: I know some of the newer (like started in the last 2-3 years) players will probably disagree with me about Bianca.

EX:Ruby&Sapphire had a card called Professor Birch, it was the same exact thing as Bianca. Didn't see an ounce of play. Wasn't playable until EX:power Keepers reprinted it and something like 3 format rotations happened, getting rid of TONNES of other, better Supporters. It only became playable once the format got to a point where all the other Supporter options sucked.

Call energy - And a true reprint (maybe with an errata to exclude EXs) so we can use the player reward cards we got late. That would give those without Tropical beach something to do that first turn.

Scramble energy, call energy, Claydol, pidgeot, Magcargo, swoop teleporter, pow hand extension, double rainbow energy, special darkness/metal, giant stump, Desert ruins, Pokemon retriever, ATM rock, Scott, castaway, cursed stone(that hits abilities).

There ya go, beautiful format, did I miss anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back