Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why Changing Format wont change the fact its still a crapshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianS

After reading the possibility of a format change pre-nats
i found this to be a bandaid solution for our donk format.

My rant here is pretty simple and short.
They change the format
we lose every deck, if I am not mistaken.
meaning there is not "format" we will not even know what decks are good for nationals.
meaning nationals will still be a crapshoot.

The whole point of the past 10 years ive been playing this game
is to rotate sets after worlds.
because if you do it before worlds
its like starting back at spring BR's
where we dont know what exactly what does,
what is good against what
or what combos are possible we have not yet found

By changing the entire game-play before nationals(if not the biggest event of the year)
you are not giving the time for the format to develop actually.
the whole point of a season is for decks to grow and for decks to fall out.

Thus by doing a end-season change(hardly mid-season change)
you are not allowing any decks to grow, be analyzed,studied.
Thus making your deck choice one heck of a crapshoot to be honest.

Every year that has gone by ive played this game, it continue to be more and more luck based.
Though this is my final year playing, im sad to see the game ended up like this.

Ban some cards nintendo.
all it takes
if WoTC can do it so can you

if a late season rotation occurs, you can see many players dropping the game or not attending nats this year. i agree with you on this. theres not enough time to play test new concepts. granted im not pro/against banning cards, i'd rather they just didnt adapt the new rules for B/W. This would stop banning cards, and still keep a healthy format with new cards being introduced.

Sorry Seb, I disagree.....

if anything it allows the better players to strive leaps and bounds over the mediocre ones.

Those who put the time and effort into playtesting the format with friends / self, will not only have a good idea of which decks will be good / played. They'll also have an soild list and good knowledge of the match ups.

Those who dont put much if any time / effort into it however will feel like it's a crapshoot. Not knowing what decks are good / bad or even how to play the match ups.

And for those who rely on others for decks? Good luck finding a list online for you to copy!

quite a nice answer there buddy.
maybe you can show me your skill and top cut nats bro
haha
maybe

oh ps
gl testing every single possibility avaible
im sure youll find all the combos

While I agree that Nationals, in itself, is a crap shoot, the possibility that HGSS-on may become a reality is a GOOD thing. The way this format was going, events like States and Regionals were crapshoots anyway. The format was all sorts of god awful. And, it's going to be that much worse for Battle Roads, and while I realize Battle Roads don't matter for much, seeing decks like Sabledonk have the ability to run rampant would be nothing short of DISGUSTING. Even banning cards wouldn't do much in the end, we'd still have a fairly crappy format of over powered card after over powered card going head to head with one another.

Uh oh. Skill is coming back. Run while you can.

quite a nice answer there buddy.
maybe you can show me your skill and top cut nats bro
haha
maybe

oh ps
gl testing every single possibility avaible
im sure youll find all the combos

thats why im starting now =)

Never said i'd find them all either, however there are only 600-700 cards....can't be too many useable combinations ;p

We at least get to play Pokemon instead of getdonkedandwalkaroundfor45minutesmon. And hey. A slower game? Planning turns ahead? Unknown decks? Oh dear, you might have to think about what your opponent has and-- gasp -- outplay them.

And there are already some known combos that are good/playable at the least that you have to consider. Mew/Gengar/techs, Emboar/Reshiram, Zekrom, Donphan/Machamp, Blastoise/Floatzel, Steelix, Scizor, Cincinno. That's like, 8 decks right there. Five of which are known to be decent. Anything else out there? That's the fun of it.

Welcome back, Pokemon.

ive been outplaying people for ages.
im not saying i like the current format.
the fact that they would change it, no matter how bad it is
is rediculous
In the 10 months that our season has gone through
we have standard lists
we have a downpact idea how decks run how to counter them effectively

giving us 2 months to, hey create your own new format kiddos
umm playtest everything, and find any combos that works
is a chilidish way to approach this problem from nintendo instead of tackling anotherway

As an ex-hardcore player you want the time to study everything know everything downpact
a 2 month time constraint is rediculous dont you think?

sable donk beatable?
yes, why?
because i have created a deck that can counter it effectively and can be competitive with the rest of the format
people's creativity has gone down in this game
if people actually looked at the cards we have
you can outplay anything you want.

personally with new rule changes this opens many many possibilities that before was not possible
new engines that can be created
but people find it easier to qq
the answers out there you just have to find it

yes a deck-like sabledonk gets advtanges,
but what weakness does it have that you can use to your advantage?
everything has a weakness, how do you out play something that can kill your pokemon in a shot right away?
are there pokemon that can survive the initial blow? can you base a deck around this pokemon?

Sabledonk ,like in starcraft, would be considered a cheesy strategy
thus having little to none late game
So what can you do to survive the early game, but pull out in late game?
there are options people
you just have to find them

it is a card game after all, luck will happen but there are answers

Last edited:
Actually, no. I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I see it more of as a "just how good are you?" Something like this really puts players to the test, as well as lets them play.

If you're that good, you'll adapt no matter what they throw at you. In this format, there is no adaptation. When players that have consistently done well the entire time they've played this game are going 3-4 and such, losing to players that would never have hope of beating them out otherwise... there's a problem. And that's the issue with this format. Luck has overtaken skill as the dominant factor in the game, and that should never EVER happen.

Japan rotated to HGSS on after BW got released, why shouldn't we? It's what's best for the health of the game. If you can't adapt to this, then maybe... just maybe you aren't as good as you think you are.

Remember, there's no adapting to losing before you get to play cards!

Actually, no. I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I see it more of as a "just how good are you?" Something like this really puts players to the test, as well as lets them play.

If you're that good, you'll adapt no matter what they throw at you. In this format, there is no adaptation. When players that have consistently done well the entire time they've played this game are going 3-4 and such, losing to players that would never have hope of beating them out otherwise... there's a problem. And that's the issue with this format. Luck has overtaken skill as the dominant factor in the game, and that should never EVER happen.

Japan rotated to HGSS on after BW got released, why shouldn't we? It's what's best for the health of the game. If you can't adapt to this, then maybe... just maybe you aren't as good as you think you are.

Remember, there's no adapting to losing before you get to play cards!

so many ways to adapt to this format
the decks have become so linear in strategy that it has caused linear thoughts
there are ways around it

right now the current situation is that we are in a donk format
i have assesed how those decks win
and i have found possible counters
im not going to complain about the format it is what it is and ill play it
if you want you can QQ in your room and hate it
Or you can just play it

its a card game you will lose to luck
right now luck may be a greater factor
but still ways around it,
if you continue to play the way you have then yes you will lose
time to adapt good sir

the introduction of sabledonk will deter some previous metagame decks from being played
this opens many new stratagies that we have missed because of the dominance of previous decks
these new decks that we missed could have solutions to sabledonk
have most people looked into? prob not

Last edited:
You have past National Champions and 2nd placers at Nationals screaming that this format is stale and worthless, that it's not a test of skill at all. If there were so many ways around it, don't you think those people, of all people, would have found it already and not be preaching that someone needs to fix something before it gets even worse?

MD through AR was not meant to be played with Black and White rules. Gyarados, SP, Uxie in general, it's all extremely unbalanced. Even without the Black and White rules, some of the cards in Black and White itself are unbalanced with past cards. This is the best possible option.

Start listing some reasons/ways around this format. If there are ways around it, I want to hear them, and so do the legions of other players out there that have been searching and searching. Now, I fully expect a "I'm not telling because I want the secret all to myself for Nationals" response. Which, to me, translates to "I didn't have a response, so I'll just toss this out there and try to shut him up."

And also, if you don't think there's a lot of creativity in the HGSS/BW block... you've not looked hard enough at all.

Is the point of this topic to just argue with everyone that posts something other than your opinion?

That is kinda what it seems.

Think about it this way, P!P is one department in a large company. Maybe they were not the only department involved in the discussions. Maybe they didn't get the options they were wanting either and had to go with the best available that all other departments would go along with.

There is a lot that goes on in TPC / TPCi / NoA / GF / Creatures / ect. that we will never know...

If they rotate to HGSS-On on July 1st, the United States National Championships 2011 may just be the most skill intensive tournament ever.

Agreed with Dragonair Master, I just wish they made the format change official now! It's gonna be a sick format by someone who really knows how to build a deck and play against the unexpected, with a lot of teamwork in testing involved. Imagine a tournament where everyone played a rogue deck!! It would be nuts!

If they rotate to HGSS-On on July 1st, the United States National Championships 2011 may just be the most skill intensive tournament ever.

so true.

hate to disagree with you sebastian but this guy is right. there are an intense amount of playable decks in hgss-bw... i found a deck that beats the stupid sablelock and other top tier decks too, but im still extremely happy about the possible pre-nats rotation.

prepare yourself kids, pokemon just got skillful.

I don't think rotating is a bad idea, but on the other hand Seb does have a point. Being a competitive player means you have to know how to read and play the meta. Quite frankly, that's impossible to do at Nats.

Stop complaining, you Americans have the dream. In the UK nats is on the 22 May, so I guess I'm going to be in the skill-less format getting donked, when you guys can make new interesting decks that could take some skill somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back