Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Will Dragon energy exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JandPDS

The Time of Dragons Is Now! Can You Command Them?

The might of dragons is yours to control in a way that can change your game forever - as a brand-new Energy type! Rayquaza. Giratina. Hydreigon. Few Pokémon inspire awe and wonder like Dragon-type Pokémon, and in the Dragons Exalted expansion, they come ready to rule the game! And with a grand mix of all-new Pokémon-EX and a horde of Dragon-type Pokémon to take to the skies and take the battlefield by storm, plus new Trainer cards and new Special Energy cards, you’ll be ready for the roar of dragons and the glory of battle!
Brand-new Energy type: Dragon!
15 Dragon-type Pokémon!
A dozen Pokémon-EX, including 6 full-card-art Pokémon!
Over 120 cards in all!

Above from Pokebeach. It seems to say that there will be Dragon Energy in the next set we get. Is this something that Japan does not yet have? I remember seeing blend energy in the set but no mention of Dragon energy before.

If there is Dragon energry cards will they be basic or special like metal and dark? If they are special what will they do?

Last edited:
It actually says that it is a new "Energy Type." Just like Colorless is a type. It doesn't say there is a new "Dragon Energy Card." Just the new type. The Special Energy Cards it refer's to are the blend energy cards. Hope that helped.

It actually says that it is a new "Energy Type." Just like Colorless is a type. It doesn't say there is a new "Dragon Energy Card." Just the new type. The Special Energy Cards it refer's to are the blend energy cards. Hope that helped.

My point exactly it say energy type not Pokemon type. The dragon type pokemon are mentioned in a seperate line from the energy. It say Dragon energy and Dragon Type pokemon so they must be two seperate kinds of Cards.

My point exactly it say energy type not Pokemon type. The dragon type pokemon are mentioned in a seperate line from the energy. It say Dragon energy and Dragon Type pokemon so they must be two seperate kinds of Cards.

Even so, there hasn't been a Pokemon that requires Dragon energy to attack.

It's pretty obvious from the press release that when they said "energy-type", they simply mean the Pokemon type.

You can continue to believe what you want, but we will NOT get Dragon energy in this set, and likely not in the next. We will NOT get Dragon energy before Japan. It won't happen.

It's pretty obvious from the press release that when they said "energy-type", they simply mean the Pokemon type.

You can continue to believe what you want, but we will NOT get Dragon energy in this set, and likely not in the next. We will NOT get Dragon energy before Japan. It won't happen.

How is it obvious in one line it says Dragon energy will be in the set. In the vrey next line it says that there will also be Dragon-Type pokemon so they must be refering to two seperate game mechanics.

How is it obvious in one line it says Dragon energy will be in the set. In the vrey next line it says that there will also be Dragon-Type pokemon so they must be refering to two seperate game mechanics.

You gotta realize that the information page for the set is created by a marketing team. The marketing team is supposed to word things so people will interpret them how they want to in order to get excited over it. Japan has no Dragon energy, and likewise no Pokemon that require it.

Of course the energy type will exist... Stuff like Rainbow Energy'll create it no problem. As for if it'll actually be required for anything, probably not. Suppose you could take advantage of it with stuff like Porygon2 (Neo Revelation) though, lol.

Of course the energy type will exist... Stuff like Rainbow Energy'll create it no problem. As for if it'll actually be required for anything, probably not. Suppose you could take advantage of it with stuff like Porygon2 (Neo Revelation) though, lol.
Wait, does Rainbow Energy actually count as Dragon for things like like "does 20 damage to each Pokemon that's the same type as the energy attached to this Pokemon" attacks?

Not sure there are any attacks exactly like that (they all go by BASIC energy I believe, likely to avoid being able to hit everything via Rainbow/Multi/Prism/etc.), but if you, say, Porygon2 Mew*'s Fire Energy to Dragon-Type, it should damage all their Dragon-Types with its Rainbow Wave. Obviously you could only "create" Dragon-type energy after we actually get a Dragon-type, though.

It's on a rare occasion, but TPCi has released cards never before seen in Japan, yet.

Yes, it could be a play on words, but yes, it could also be a never before seen Dragon-type basic energy.

Only time will tell.

It could be like when they announced the ex's for next destinies saying all the ex pokemon will have full art versions before japan had fa reshiram and zekrom ex, then soon after aired a commercial about japan getting zekrom/reshiram full arts.

Given that there is a question about whether or not Special Energy Darkness Energy or Metal Energy will be reprinted, I wouldn't consider Dragon Energy a given, even with that ad blurb.

I'd guess that this was merely a mistake. The marketing team does not always know what they are talking about, so it can be easy to call the new Pokemon type an "energy type". Easy mistake... We will not get a dragon energy. Japan has none, so it would be an amazing and precident getting event if we get it first. Then again, power keepers did exist......

100% agree with everything said, but doesnt japan have a july release of the next set? Could be a possibility that they are getting dragons with dragon energy requirements, maybe theyll throw basic dragon energy in dragons exalted.

1. The likelihood of them printing a basic dragon energy for dragons exalted would mean that they have to print a dragon type pokemon with attacks that require dragon energy. This means that at least some of the 120 cards are those dragon pokemon that require dragon energy to attack, which means that some of the Japanese cards, either from Dragon Blastblade, Dragon Selection, or the Garchomp Hydreigon half decks would be omitted, or never ever see international print ever.

2. The game doesn't need a 9th pokemon type that has its own basic energy. Even having 8 is too much, but having a 9th one is crossing the line, and I am sure the Japanese people who make this game already knows that. They also know that there are cards that require multiple different energies to use as an attack, such as Regigigas. Unfortunately, these kinds of pokemon are shown as many different types, as I have seen colorless pokemon require fire and lightning energy, as in the case of Rayquaza, or some Celebi Prime from Triumphant who is a grass type, but uses both a grass and psychic energy for one of its attacks. So what the makers of this game decided to do is to gather up the pokemon that use multiple different energies, make it so that only dragons use multiple energies, and make it their own type. Just think about it. You see a red card, you know that it requires fire energies for its attacks, without reading the card. If you see a white card, it means that it can use any energy. Back then, when you look at Call of Legends Rayquaza, you see a white frame, much like any colorless card, and without reading the text, you wouldn't know that it required fire and lightning energy for an attack. With the dragon type, the frame is gold, so it makes you look at the energy requirements.

3. I hope basic dragon energy will never exist, and for those who think it will exist, you obviously don't know why the dragon type exists in the first place.

4. The basic metal and darkness energies are introduced is because there are cards that require darkness and metal energy to activate its attacks. Even the first darkness and metal cards from the neo sets have darkness and metal attacks. Not the case with the dragon type.

5. All dragon types so far require multiple different energies for attacks. We know that there are at least 15 dragons in dragons exalted. There has never been any set with this many pokemon that requires multiple different energies to use as an attack. So the creation of the dragon attacks allows for the designers to create more pokemon that have multiple different energy to attack, instead of limiting it to one or two per set.

The current model for dragon types adds to gameplay. The model where dragons have their own basic energies and a dragon energy cost for an attack does NOT add to gameplay. So I really hope that whoever wrote the sell sheet can't tell the difference between the energy and the pokemon itself.

Last edited:
Why would they NEED to put the dragons that need dragon energy in dragons exalted, with the dragon energy. We just got a haxorus in dark explorers WITHOUT axew or fraxure. Just put a dragon energy in each pack in addition to the 10 cards per pack. I will admit i dont know the purpose of creating dragon type to begin with as i stopped playing the video games after ruby/sapphire, why wouldnt dragon energy make sense if they have dragon type pokemon?

Why would they NEED to put the dragons that need dragon energy in dragons exalted, with the dragon energy. We just got a haxorus in dark explorers WITHOUT axew or fraxure. Just put a dragon energy in each pack in addition to the 10 cards per pack. I will admit i dont know the purpose of creating dragon type to begin with as i stopped playing the video games after ruby/sapphire, why wouldnt dragon energy make sense if they have dragon type pokemon?

Um, axew and Fraxure exist in Noble Victories, there is no rule in the game that says that you must have a Dark Explorers fraxure to evolve into a Dark Explorers Haxorus.

Including a basic dragon energy in each pack would equate to a piece of garbage. There are absolute NO cards in the history of pokemon that requires a basic dragon energy for an attack. None. There will also be NO cards in the future that requires basic dragon energy to attack, and I don't think Japan will print any for freeze shock cold flare.

The point of the dragon type is for the designers to be able to print more cards that require different energies to attack. The purpose of making a dragon type is its visual cue. As I said before, we had a colorless rayquaza that required Fire and Lightning energy, and a Grass Celebi Prime that required grass and psychic energy. I wouldn't know that Celebi prime required psychic energy until it was too late. Dragon types solve that problem. When you see a gold card, you know that it requires at least 2 or more different energies.

Basic dragon energy's non-existence is the same as why there are no basic colorless energy.

Also gameplay for the TCG is more important than copying the games. As I said, having a 9th basic energy is crossing the line. Having 16 different basic energies does not add to gameplay, and it makes pulling the cards you want from packs much more difficult, much so that nobody would buy packs anymore, and business will go sour. I have never seen any card game that over saturates itself with way too many elemental types.

In the games, you can have a pokemon with two distinct types, but there are no attacks that have 2 distinct types. In the TCG on the other hand, you can have attacks that use 2 differnt types of energies, but even so, the weaknesses and resistances does not check for the energy requirements. It checks for the pokemon types. Also in the games, when the dragon pokemon is using a dragon attack, you don't know if it is using a combination of different energies to power up that attack. The games don't have energies to power up the attack like the TCG does.

Last edited:
Not sure there are any attacks exactly like that (they all go by BASIC energy I believe, likely to avoid being able to hit everything via Rainbow/Multi/Prism/etc.), but if you, say, Porygon2 Mew*'s Fire Energy to Dragon-Type, it should damage all their Dragon-Types with its Rainbow Wave. Obviously you could only "create" Dragon-type energy after we actually get a Dragon-type, though.
The one I was thinking of was Southern Islands Mew, which is basically Shining Mew who is compatible with Rainbow energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back