Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds first day is single elimination?

NoPoke

Reading through the invite to worlds and guess what it says...
PUI page 5 of invite letter said:
Tournament play on Saturday, August 21st will begin at 10am until the top 32 players have been established or no later than 8pm. The top 32 players in each age group will then play one round of single elimination. ......

so with 64 players the top 32 is established after one round.
with 128 players the top 32 is established after 2 rounds
three rounds yields a top 32 with 256 players in each age group.

Now it seems like the wording has been deliberately chosen to allow the number of rounds to be highly flexible But surely it would be better to say a minimum of 5 rounds of swiss. 5 rounds would cover upto 1024 entrants in each age group and still yield a clear top 32.

Anyone know how many entrants in each age group will be playing on the Saturday?

[thinks: Maybe the experience of Nationals has PUI worried about their software?]

Adv1sor said:
What happens at 8pm?

I presume the 8pm cut off is to ensure that a Nationals like scenario is explicitly excluded.

-----------------

the invite states that play on Sunday is match play with 90minute rounds. deck checks 8-8:30am, start at 9am. tournament to end no later than 5:30pm . Which looks perfectly achievable.

Sunday is four rounds of single elimination match play.

Saturday is stated as swiss in the invite but if you run the minimum number of swiss rounds then you wont make the cut unless you go undefeated.

Last edited:
NoPoke it says the top 32 players in each age group will then play one round of single elimination so it doesn't mean that every round that day will be single elim it only says the top 32 will play one round that way. They may do 2 match losses and your out or something like that but single elim every round would be ridiculous since so many people are spending money on hotel and airfare, for what for them to loose in the first round and be out of the tournament.

Last edited:
Well in that same invite you see 2 things.
One stating that top 32 will play 1 round of single elimination on saturday (after all players played x rounds of swiss) so only 16 players of each age group are playing sunday.
while somewere else in that same document (can't remember were) it stated that all 32 top finishers of saturday will play sunday.

NoPoke said:
Reading through the invite to worlds and guess what it says...

so with 64 players the top 32 is established after one round.
with 128 players the top 32 is established after 2 rounds
three rounds yields a top 32 with 256 players in each age group.

Now it seems like the wording has been deliberately chosen to allow the number of rounds to be highly flexible But surely it would be better to say a minimum of 5 rounds of swiss. 5 rounds would cover upto 1024 entrants in each age group and still yield a clear top 32.

Anyone know how many entrants in each age group will be playing on the Saturday?

[thinks: Maybe the experience of Nationals has PUI worried about their software?]

You are misunderstanding this. You will play the appropriate number of rounds of swiss (example: 128 players = 7 rounds). After the final round of swiss, we will cut to the top 32. We will play off the first elimination round Saturday evening (top 32). Sunday morning, we will play off the top 16, 8, 4, and 2.

The 8PM time was listed to give families some idea of when the event would be done for the day so that they could plan dinner, etc.

HTH

Saturday is an unspecified number of swiss rounds to yield a cut to 32 players. Saturday ends with one round of single elimination. Those 16 players then play match play single elimination on the sunday for the big prizes.

Now my guess is that PUI are planning for between 128 and 255 entrants in each age group on the Saturday. So three rounds of swiss and you have your top 32. But I doubt that only three rounds will be run. Which opens the possibility to being able to make the cut with at least a single loss. But at some point too many losses and you wont make the cut, that point all depends upon the number of entrants and the number of swiss rounds to be played.

-----------------

Thanks Mike for the clarification. can you tell us the minimum number of swiss rounds that you plan on the Saturday?

Last edited:
Pidgeotto Trainer said:
Wait, shouldn't the round of 32 be 2 of 3 match play since the round of 16 and so on are match play? That just seems logical to me.

The round of 32 will be best 2 of 3 matches as will all day Sunday. It is listed as single elimination meaning that the loser of 2 games in the match/round is eliminated.

Every1 is trying to read too much into what is written. Professor Dav told us at the South SC that they are planning on 128 players per age group. As Mike said above, that means 7 rounds of Swiss followed by a cut to the top 32. That group will then play one additional round (best 2 of 3) to decide the top 16 for Sunday.

Last edited:
Hagrid where did you get the information about the final single elim round on the Saturday? The only mention I can find of match play is for Sunday's play.

--------------

Oh and for reference here is the breakdown of an idealised 128 player 7 round swiss tournament

128 entrants 7 rounds W-D-L record with no draws assumed

After Round 1
64 1-0-0
64 0-0-1

After Round 2
32 2-0-0
64 1-0-1
32 0-0-2

After Round 3
16 3-0-0
48 2-0-1
48 1-0-2
16 0-0-3

After Round 4
8 4-0-0
32 3-0-1
48 2-0-2
32 1-0-3
8 0-0-4

After Round 5
4 5-0-0
20 4-0-1
40 3-0-2
40 2-0-3
20 1-0-4
4 0-0-5

After Round 6
2 6-0-0
12 5-0-1
30 4-0-2
40 3-0-3
30 2-0-4
12 1-0-5
2 0-0-6

After Round 7
1 7-0-0
7 6-0-1
21 5-0-2
35 4-0-3
35 3-0-4
21 2-0-5
7 1-0-6
1 0-0-7

The key thing to notice is that some of the top 32 will be decided by tie breakers and that the worst record that will make the cut is 4-0-3

Last edited:
3 losses would make it?

I highly doubt that

oh wait
nevermind, sorry, just reread your post

that was a pretty good chart, but draws will happen

NoPoke said:
Hagrid where did you get the information aboth the final single elim round on the Saturday? The only mention I can find of match play is for Sunday's play.

THe wording on the POP site is a little flaky but if you read the first sentence of the second paragraph all is clear (as mud :p ). Professor Dav clarified it for us at the South SC.

the POP Site FAQ said:
After Swiss rounds are complete, there will be a cut to single elimination finals. The top 32 players from each age group will play one round of single elimination finals on Saturday, August 21st. The remaining 16 players from each age group will then advance to the finals on Sunday, August 22nd beginning at 9:00 AM.

All single elimination rounds will be a best of 3 game format.

No, every1 stop worrying and start workin on your decks :D

Last edited:
Whicker said:
3 losses would make it?

I highly doubt that

oh wait
nevermind, sorry, just reread your post

that was a pretty good chart, but draws will happen

well in single game swiss draws in the early rounds aren't common at all. You get a whole load of IDs in the last round and sometimes in the penultimate but not in the early rounds in my experience. So though it is probable that there will be some draws I doubt that any of the 3-0-2 players at the end of round 5 will want to risk an ID even though a 4-1-2 record has a very good chance of making the cut it requires you to win in the 7th round if you ID with 3-0-2 in the 6th round.

[Thanks Hagrid for the reference]

Last edited:
NoPoke said:
Hagrid where did you get the information about the final single elim round on the Saturday? The only mention I can find of match play is for Sunday's play.

The information that Hagrid has given is correct, it was the same thing I have been told by Dave at the West staiudm. There will be 7 rounds of swiss with each round being single game matches. Then after the 7 rounds there will break off top 32 with match best-of-3 games to finish out the night. Sunday will contiune with the Top 16 for each age group doing best-of-3 matches. It is pretty simple, they are just breaking up the tournament into two days so it will not be a long night for all the players and their families.

And single elimination may not be accurate, but I would not advise losing twice....

Double elimination may be more accurate!

M45

5-2 May get you to the 32 (starting at 128) 4-3 will not!!!

I can just see a lot of 5-1-1 players sealing their own fate!

M45

YAY Math time...

If there are 128 people, and 7 rounds, then (with no draws) the top 32 will be:

1 7-0
7 6-1
21 5-2
3 4-3 players

Given this era of draws, more likely it will be

2 players at 6-0-1
12 players at 5-1-1
15 players at 5-2
3 players at 4-2-1 somewhere during the day having picked up a draw (or being bold enough at 4-2 to take a draw)

given this (proper) scenario, there will be 7 5-2 players who miss the cut to 32, due to tiebreakers.

That will be interesting....train your players... 5 wins is in!!!

M45

Last edited:
Back