Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds Grinder-Top cut or single elimination??

Hey,

Since the contrevory of worlds and great foxes report to elelaborte on it, alot of fans decied to bring of the point of top 8 and how unfair it was. POP then brought up that they might think of single elimination next year for worlds 15+. Now it gets me thinking of the goods and bads of the single elimination tournament:

Goods:
It gives player the options to play and if eliminated do other things.
It gives POP easier to form results because it will drop alot of players and speed up round processing
It wont give players a reason to complain if they dont make it
It will show that if your deck is as good as it is it can survive to the end and weed out the decks that dont need to be in the world chsampionships.

Bads:
It gives one bad draw a screw job and a good deck the boot
It gives players a scare factor knowing its one and done
It causing chaos if someone loses to a bad loss because it leads to the posibble end of spirit of the game

Someone told me if its a true last chance grinder then single elimination is the best way to filter everyone out. It gets rid of the confusion of how many invites get in and just makes its a true cut to the top. Many argued that the extra invites kinda offset the mood in the grinder so with this idea it stops the idea of worrying about that and makes a simple cut to the top.

Id like to find out what players think about this sitaution. Let the pokemon world know what you want and why?? :thumb:

only 1 problem with that philosophy.

Only 8 are guaranteed, but it is not exactly 8 every time.

+ if you do that, youd have to do it for all divisions.

the 10- kids wont like it (or make it that the parents wont like it) since they all go in, tell them next time, if they lose, their out.

Also, if theyre were 9 slots avaliable, how do you figure that one out?

so a single elim wont work for the grinder.

only after the cut has been made should a single elim bracket be made

In my opinion, single elimination, single match, no time limit, is the way all major tournaments should be ran.

It would change the strategy of deck building somewhat. Maybe we add in a muligan rule with the cost being a prize?

As for the -10, I hope that they always let them all in. What difference does it make on the format of the Grinder tournament if all the kids get in?

Last edited:
It has to be swiss. The grinder will never be single elimination. I hope it will be top 16 or top 32. Only time will tell.

Plus: I can neither confirm nor deny that there will be single elimination in next year's grinder.

When did POP say they were considering Single Elimination?
I recall them asking "Would you want us to make is Single Elimination?", but I took that as a rhetorical question, not as a proposal.
Correct me if I misremember.

That's what you get for thinking Phil!

(Just kidding, we haven't had much to disagree on this past season.)

Imagine this.

A big Pokemon tournament. Major prizes on the line.

One wall is covered with a sheet or projection showing a tree with all of the competitors listed down one side in random pairings. The tree breaks down halving the number each round until two champions emerge and battle for the final round.

No time limits.

No draws.

No stalling.

No second chances.​

This isn’t the league, this is a tournament.

This is how it should be.

Venusaur, I suggest single game, no time limit matches.

However, maybe this would be the time to introduce a muligan rule? At the cost of giving your opponent a prize each time, before you lay down a pokemon, you could discard your hand and draw another seven cards?

Would that change the game too much?

Oh, jeez....

Another topic having to deal with the GRINDER!

Now we are changing the mulligan rule???

Could we "Get" any more off topic.

See previous thread for my grinder suggestions. My favorite is still no 15+ grinder :wink:

Flame ON!!!!

M45

Please, let's stick to the topic of the grinder in this thread.
Make proposals for major rule changes in another thread, if desired.
As was pointed out by DukeFireBird above, single elimination won't account for variable numbers of winners. It was coincidence that this year there were 8 slots available and that there were 8 undefeated players. Total coincidence.

I can neither confirm nor deny that we will offer a variable number of invites in next year's grinder.

PokePop said:
Please, let's stick to the topic of the grinder in this thread.
Make proposals for major rule changes in another thread, if desired.
As was pointed out by DukeFireBird above, single elimination won't account for variable numbers of winners. It was coincidence that this year there were 8 slots available and that there were 8 undefeated players. Total coincidence.

I see dukefirebird's argument but what i was bringing up that the extra invites ofset the mood of teh grinder and cause chaos so that why i thought single elimination would be good and i thought it would get rid of extra invites.

Thanks Mike, we needed that. :tongue:

As for the topic at hand: Single Elimination Sucks! It doesn't determine who is the best player, it only determines who gets the luckiest matchups and best opening hands. What if you start with a Plusle and no energy? You lose, it doesn't matter how good of a player you are or how well your deck was constructed, you got a bad hand and that's the end for you. I don't want to play like that.

But FS, that is the GAME!

this game has its luck component, and always will.

As I tell my players, when preparing for a big event...count on your deck messing you over at least ONCE during the event. Just hope it does not happen at a critical time...

Happens to all of us....no energy, solo "bad" poke....unusable trainers...

Part of what makes this game great!

M45

Single elimination is terrible.

POP isn't dumb enough to employ single elimination, and hopefully never will be- they run tournaments well.

Vince: but the good decks will have consistancy, and in a swiss environment, perform better with more games. Single elimination doesn't take that into account.

When it gets down to it, single elimination isn't about skill, there is TOO MUCH randomness thrown into the match, more than it should be.

With swiss good decks/players can still bypass the dumb luck that can occur, but a good player will make decks that are more consistant and they will themselves be more consistant, and a swiss tournament can measure that skill and deck MUCH better than single elimination.

FireFighter095ReBorn said:
I see dukefirebird's argument but what i was bringing up that the extra invites ofset the mood of teh grinder and cause chaos so that why i thought single elimination would be good and i thought it would get rid of extra invites.
So your proposal is that POP should say "There will be 'X' invites from the Grinder" and if there were in fact room for more, those invites get tossed rather than making them available at the Grinder?

Interesting. You'd rather have less with certainty than the uncertainty of getting even more.

Yes, POP, yes!

The 15+ division wants their certainty...GIVE IT TO THEM.

Announce NOW that there will only be 8 spots for the 15+ out of the grinder.

That will end this discussion, and keep everyone happy, and not have anyone accuse PUI of "not" keeping their promises.

With Worlds being in essentially the same location, why not do this??? We should have the same number of people next year as this year as no-shows unless a number of policies change!

Talk to you soon.

Vince

Swiss sucks for the Grinder.

You shouldn’t have to check the PCs to see who had the best resistance at the end of the rounds.

Resistance, basing your outcome in the tournament on which player you faced in the first round is pure luck.

Having people playing in the last rounds of a major tournament who are 0-4 is just a waste of time and blurs the lines between tournaments and league play.

There should be a muligan rule that lets you throw out your hand at the cost of a prize though.

POP said that there would be 8 last Worlds and 8 there were. They kept they're promise just fine.

Last edited:
I say we round up anyone that wants to participate in the 15+ grinder, and BURN THEM AT THE STAKE! (except for 8 people)

Last edited:
Back