Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Virginia's Autumn Battle Roads 2008!--Now with Photo Link (end of thread)

Thanks a lot tim, I can disagree with that all I want but at the end if thats the reasoning behind it, thats groovy.

Side question, say i play plusle and minum, and instead of writing that I write "+" and "-" now am I in trouble? Or am I out of trouble if I tell my opponent what it means because i just like short hand, like i typically write G - grass, R - Fire, F - Fighting, P - psychic etc. But thanks a lot tim, very very much

Ror

Thanks a lot tim, I can disagree with that all I want but at the end if thats the reasoning behind it, thats groovy.

Side question, say i play plusle and minum, and instead of writing that I write "+" and "-" now am I in trouble? Or am I out of trouble if I tell my opponent what it means because i just like short hand, like i typically write G - grass, R - Fire, F - Fighting, P - psychic etc. But thanks a lot tim, very very much

Ror

I, simply, write the prizes and tell you what they are. No codes, no trickery, no problems.

I could care less if you know what's in the prizes. Actually, it HELPS me to tell the other guy.
(ex. A prize falls to the floor and I've already played azelf. Dude KNOWS what it it and I know what it is. There's no tension about what to do now... just put it back and play on... )

I haven't seen ANY advantage given to an opponent that knows what's in my prizes. If anything, it gives ME an advantage, because they know what I can get if they toss up a sacrifice for KO. If I want to slide the prizes closer together or rearrange them so they fit better on the playing space, I just draw little arrows where the prize went and show them (90% of the time, the opponent's like .. "whatever man .. ok... ")

Food for thought...

Ladies, and Gentlemen,

I just wanted to say I had a great time at my first Battle Roads. Coming in seventh I think was very respectable with a rogue deck (Darkrai/Pigeot). The fact that my losses came from 2 of the top 4 was reassuring and a moral victory

I am not sure it was Stephen or Dean I borrowed the 2 holo dark energies from, but I haven't forgotten and will return them. I just had to leave before the top cut matches began and I couldn't find you.

The one thing that really sucked was the long delay in getting the tournament started. I know Leah was doing her best, and this is a volunteer operation, but for those that showed up just before 11:00 and the first match didn't start till close to 1:30 is way too long. I think there could have been better communication on approximate starting times, etc.
I would think knowing the tournament had 60+ folks would have set up some kind of signal flare that this is more than 1 person can handle. In some ways I think what made it worse was that the pre-registration didn't really solve any of the problems in that it only provided a count. I would recommend if you want to have pre registration than you include POP ID#, and the basic information from the form upfront on the pre-registration so that the software program and all the data (which I think was getting entered on the fly and caused the biggest delays) could have been entered ahead of time. I was really worried that if the computer crashed we really would have been screwed.

I think the judges did a great job. I am sure it was like herding cats. Thank you for volunteering your time. From what I saw you guys were fair, objective, and professional.

IMHO a good player should remember what's in his prize cards if he/she Time Walks and not need to write them down. To me if you have to share that information (because you wrote them down) than you have given your opponent a tactical advantage. It also avoids this whole problem Tim F has aluded to and making the judges trying to figure out intent.

I wanted to publicly thank my opponents, especialy William W who was a class act and is AMU deck was very impressive. That was a fun game we had! I would love to battle again! It is funny in my other matchs Darkrai Lvl X's Endless Slumber attack knocked out 6 pokemon, kept 2 just sleeping and only 1 woke up and that was William W's Uxie's Lvl X.

One thing that was really nice was the diversity of the decks. I really hate it when everyone plays one or two decks. The fact that there are so many viable options now I think make a more competitive format.

See you guys around!

Last edited:
I, simply, write the prizes and tell you what they are. No codes, no trickery, no problems.

I could care less if you know what's in the prizes. Actually, it HELPS me to tell the other guy.
(ex. A prize falls to the floor and I've already played azelf. Dude KNOWS what it it and I know what it is. There's no tension about what to do now... just put it back and play on... )

I haven't seen ANY advantage given to an opponent that knows what's in my prizes. If anything, it gives ME an advantage, because they know what I can get if they toss up a sacrifice for KO. If I want to slide the prizes closer together or rearrange them so they fit better on the playing space, I just draw little arrows where the prize went and show them (90% of the time, the opponent's like .. "whatever man .. ok... ")

Food for thought...

I can throw tons of reasons why I would like to know what my opponents prizes are. A good example of this is John Slivestro v Ness in which John was playing Island Hermit and he has to flip over 2 of his prizes. When he goes to get a prize and it is Ness's turn, and Ness sees that John picked up a scramble. Ness looks back sees that a scramble would be a big turning point in the match and simply wagers

By seeing what my opponent is picking over other cards, I can see what he is low on, what he does not need, what is plan B is if things go wrong, what kind of trick is he holding up his sleeve, etc.

basically I would love to see what my opponent is taking when he grabs a prize

and @ Everwind, a good player is thinking of too many other things to waste his time thinking of his prizes :thumb:

That's all good. To each his own.

Personally, I'll tell you what I have every time. It helps me... that's just me.

Food for thought...

i agree it helps with tention, but working around wager is always important.

I think it is needless to say that information is VITAL in this game. If I know what my opponent has in his hand or what he is looking for, it GREATLY affects how I will play. You took the energy from your prizes? Oh man then I guess he needs energy? What all your Uxie as prized ... no God blast for now, no matter what dont let em take a prize. So it changed a lot knowing what they need, have, and sometimes DONT HAVE. If you have played 3 Bebes and I know one is in ur prizes, then I know you are out of Bebes. This is also why I think i should be able to write in code. My prizes are faced down for a reason. The information should not be public. Azelf does not require me to show these prizes to my opponent, just the card I take. So why should I give up the HUGE strategic advantage of letting my opponent what I do or do not have at my disposal? I will run with whatever PUI goes with but I will probably still grumble

My $0.02

Ror

Looks like the note taking thing has officially and firmly been put to bed over here:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84263

As much as I appreciate Tim's rather lengthy and in depth analysis, I think the thread above states it very succinctly and clearly.

Since I am too old and feeble to noodle through Tim's analysis :lol:, I will try to state another summary on it here for others who might need a shorter way of looking at it.

Notes are public knowledge, this is clear from Section 10 of the tournament rules. They are not for your benefit or for you to gain an advantage, or not have to memorize something you would otherwise have to commit to memory. They are not for shorthand, it must be something your opponent and judges can understand, because it is public knowledge. (Please note I am saying "you" as in you the player, no to try to single any one person out)

You are making a conscious decision to turn information that you could leave private into public information as soon as you decide to write your prizes down. If you don't want it to be public, then don't turn it into something the game defines as public information. By trying to write it in code, you are trying to subvert the fact that the game defines notes as public knowledge, you are trying to take something that by definition must be public, and make it not so. Tim does a good job of explaining the consequences so I will cut short here rather than go into covering that again.

That's the way I see it in two paragraphs anyway. Oh well, even if it helps no one else, at least it helped me noodle it through.:wink:

Uh, David, calling a possible draft after the fact is not cool man, not cool....:lol::eek::lol::eek::thumb:
Is it still possible for RC? (He asked hopefully....):tongue:

Crobat speaks, twice in one thread? :eek:

rroaryh, the answer to your question is in the thread which crobat linked. crobat better explains the rational than I did, I mostly answered your question "what can a judge do to me?" and the justification for applying those penalties. To round off my list of what a judge can rule as a penalty, for those who need to know, I'd say that trying to encode public knowledge in a non-deceiving way would fall under ruleslawyering.
Although, I must disagree with Liesik when he says the only reason note taking is allowed is for those who like to write TRs. I'd push the idea that note taking allows the option for players to better track the game state. A player could come into a game and use a paper to mark power usage, energy drops, etc of the opponent.

William W was a highlight of the event for sure. In fact, he is a reason I like the 40-minute rounds. 30-minute constraints are too rigid for his kind of fun--the SotG kind :cool:.

The one thing that really sucked was the long delay in getting the tournament started. I know Leah was doing her best, and this is a volunteer operation, but for those that showed up just before 11:00 and the first match didn't start till close to 1:30 is way too long. I think there could have been better communication on approximate starting times, etc.
I would think knowing the tournament had 60+ folks would have set up some kind of signal flare that this is more than 1 person can handle. In some ways I think what made it worse was that the pre-registration didn't really solve any of the problems in that it only provided a count. I would recommend if you want to have pre registration than you include POP ID#, and the basic information from the form upfront on the pre-registration so that the software program and all the data (which I think was getting entered on the fly and caused the biggest delays) could have been entered ahead of time.
The unexpected delay was truly unexpected. We've used prereg lists several times at Fairfax and this was the first time I've heard of this. Asking for POP IDs at prereg doesn't work. It assumes all players have POP IDs. I'll look into adding such fields to the prereg list so players can be inputted before the tournament day, but overtime this problem will remedy itself as Leah's tournament program has more and more players entered into it.

In most tournaments, there is only 1-2 person/people at the 1 computer. Kind of scary when it comes to a 130+ player event...

So, why use a prereg list? There are a few reasons. Some, like you said, it is for estimating the amount of players (I'd have never known we'd break 50 without one), and to provide a fair shot for everyone at getting into the tournament (I don't consider "who shows up first" to be fair at all; don't need people camping outside the store :rolleyes:).

camping outside of the store.......ahhh......good times.....good times........

i lold when u said, Crobat speaks, twice in one thread? :eek:

If you don't have any Uxie Lv. X prized, could you write down two Uxie Lv. X anyway? Just to mess with your opponent. That kind of reminds of the kid that had a Dusknoir translation with no Dusknoir in his deck. He got disqualified, so I'm guessing the answer is no. I'm sorry if the answer is somewhere in the thread.

Guys, Mike L put it best--"notes" were designed for a player to remember the event for a report later on, to avoid the "round 1, I lost; round 2, I won" kind of reports that are such a waste of Dialga's space and Palkia's time. So, if you can't remember your prizes and must write them down they become public knowledge. I personally feel that the creator's intent was that you were supposed to use that little thing called MEMORY in this case, but I support whatever POP rules. No cryptic codes or intentional misleading at one of my events, please guys. Don't be my first DQ.

Dialga's space and Palkia's time ... rofl

ya now that I know and understand the ruling, i am trying to get the message out to people, I don't want to get an autowin cause my opponent was using code :(

But ya Mike L did make it clear, notes are for public knowledge and understanding

Ror

Mr. T - I have posted like 18 times in the past two days over this issue ... ugh

I think I left some cards at Fairfax. I can't remember what all of them where but, there was an exploud and a seadra in the pile. If anybody found them please let me know thanks.

technically you did, but i found it funny

If any one watches Heroes by the way (and you should) Daphne the Speedster kept calling Hiro (the japanese time stopper) Pikachu, twas hilarious

Ror

Back