Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds Prize Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.
plaidlesspez said:
I agree with everyone about the top 32 thing. I did feel really ripped off making it that far and being 1 win away from winning some actually good prizes.

Do you think that the 66th seeded College Basketball team feels that way in March when they don't make the big dance?

Exactly the same way you do when you're one win short of making the cut. The whole thing was fair, up until the point that you didn't get in. Then, it's no longer fair.

Prof. Dav

Prizes

We do need just one more prize added to the prerelease tournaments and the rest of the tournaments. How about as part of the prizes we put the winners picture in there school newspaper? Maybe even the local paper. That way they get the congrats they seem to think they deserve.
That alone is the funniest thing I have read in a longggg while.:) And so true.
I honestly can't see where you guys are coming from on this issue. How can you possibly say the prizes for worlds were a dissapointment? They provided everything advertised and MORE! Maybe they could have done things better but there is a difference between critiquing and complaining. This tournament only deserves the former. Everyone I talked to seemed to think worlds was awesome. At the very least they had a great time!

On another note, besides the legal problems with giving out cash. Keeping it (the value of the scholarships) until it can be redeemed (which for the 10- might be awhile) means PUI can invest/spend it (keep the interest) and pay with inflated dollars. That's a pretty good savings when you total it up.

So in conclusion maybe a better distrubution of the prizes was possible but those things should (IMO) be minor compared to the "big picture". Which was that worlds was great!

-FlipsAreCool;)

JasonthePwnda said:
i made the T16 cut, and i still think the T32 got pwned....

Yep, owned by those of you that beat them in the round of 32. We gave them more than we advertised, so, whether or not anyone thinks that's enough now, as opposed to before the event even began, when we heard ZERO complaints about the prize structure, is really a moot point.

Prof. Dav

We do need just one more prize added to the prerelease tournaments and the rest of the tournaments. How about as part of the prizes we put the winners picture in there school newspaper? Maybe even the local paper. That way they get the congrats they seem to think they deserve.

I would die if Nintendo did that. Telling people I play lame pokeymans, please. BTW t32 got gipped, and you can call me a complainer, but if you go 4-2-1 like jason said, against the WORLD I think I deserve more than 4 packs and a pat on the back. Maybe like a $100 scholarship at the least, anything but $10 worth of cards for a weekend of my time.

Next time, give the players the choice of either the scholarship money or more product. Their choice.

I'm sure they'll find something to complain about anyway.

All I can do is compare what Decipher did for LOTR Worlds. There was a HUGE difference between the Top 16 and those who missed the cut. After every round in the Top 16, the prizes doubled (or more).

Listen, everyone knows that Top 32 was NOT the REAL start of the playoffs at Worlds. IMO, it was a mistake to do Top 32. I would've stuck with Top 16 playoffs and added an extra swiss round or two. Hopefully, next time (if IDs are no longer allowed/used), there won't be a pseudo first round of the playoffs. JMO.

The Top32 cut is in line with POPs own tournament structure recomendations.

Not much of a recomendation if they don't use their own guidelines eh?

-----

If you feel that worlds was a weekend wasted then dont go again. You and your attitude WONT be missed.

I wish all those who are complaining could experience OP as delivered in the rest of the world. I hope they'd stop complaining and realise just how fortunate they are. On reflection they'd probably all just quit !

Last edited:
NoPoke said:
The Top32 cut is in line with POPs own tournament structure recomendations.

Not much of a recomendation if they don't use their own guidelines eh?
Perhaps so. Hopefully, the prize stucture will then match the anticipated playoff cutoff.

Going back to my LOTR Worlds example, they ran two polls and took the top 8 from each group to the playoffs. About 90-ish total players made the Day-2 playoff qualifying rounds. With about 45 players in each poll, they ran 8 rounds, plenty of rounds to make sure the best players/decks rose to the top 8 in their respective pools.

I bring this up because I just think POP sometimes gives too little emphasis to the swiss rounds -- they shorten the number of rounds and/or do 1-game matches. Additionally, with a Top 32 cutoff, undesireable IDs become much more frequent, as evidenced by what happened at Worlds.

But now, I've gone off on a tangent....

IMO, the prizes for the playoff players should be significantly higher than any prizes for the non-playoff players. I believe that's a valid point because 17th-32nd at Pokemon Worlds didn't get playoff-level prizes.

However, to it's credit, PUI nearly doubled the prizes for every subsequent round of the Top 16. IMO, that was very good.

Last edited:
You knew the prize structure when you signed up to play.

Matthew 20

The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard

1"For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. 2He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.
3"About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' 5So they went.
6"He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?'
7" 'Because no one has hired us,' they answered.
"He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'
8"When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.'
9"The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. 10So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.'
13"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'
16"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

So exactly what was WRONG with the worlds prize structure?

Its not like anyone got less than they were promised. If that had happened then I'd have welcomed that player to the ranks of the internationally based players. *evil grin*

A somewhat mischievious outsiders view is that a group of players have been bribed so successfully by PUI that they have taken there eyes off of the game and now only see the booty on offer .... NoPoke puts on an extra large Nomex suit ;)

My sympathies go to Prof Dave and all the others who worked hard to make Worlds a great event.

To those grumbling I ask the following question: Why do you NEED more when you arlready have enough?

Last edited:
And to add to NoPoke's post, perhaps this only gives you added incentive to work a little harder to get yourself into the top spot next year. Then you won't be so bothered by perceived inequalities.

Good post by the way, NoPoke. It really reveals motives behind this.

So much to talk about...so little time. I'll probably forget a whole bunch, but hey, I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, OK, let's put that we play POKEMON in the papers, may as well just make us the laughing stock of the town right?

And SteveP, that's ridiculous to just cut to the top 16. They cut to top 16 in Stadium challenges, right? And they cut to top 8 out of like 30 at States right? This is WORLDS buddy, and if we didn't cut to the top 32, people like me and Fulop wouldnt have done so well. Also, the person who came 2nd in 10- was ranked something like 27th I believe. That is just a lame proposal IMO.

And for people who say the prizes were more than they advertised, not really...I mean, what, 4 packs for the top 32 wooooo

AGaaaaiiiiiiin, I'm not complaining with what I got, I just feel bad for some of the other people.

Yeah, and it's quite interesting how all the kids agree with me and the adults don't. If most of the adults tell us we need to grow up and realize, why are they "wasting" their time talking to me? Just a point to think about =/.

just ROFL at this entire post now.

The adults are supposedly wiser now and are less materialistic because they have aged...so they don't realize anymore how much the prizes mean to some of the players. Can't exactly do anything about that. =/

Tho i feel the top 32 did get gipped, they got what was advertised so =/

Tho maybe next time anyone who makes the second day should get better prizes. So top 32 gets something better, though perhaps people who got 33+ would complain, but regardless, they didnt make day 2, so that means they don't have to waste another day playing in the main event for nothing.

and adults...don't even start on the leetist thing =/ You assume anyone who complains is a leetest and its rather annoying. Just because some people felt others are gipped doesn't mean they go around pwning little kids and stealing from them and calling them n00bs. =/

oh and that newspaper idea is terrible. you should lose your speaking priviledges irl for that =/

Wasnt T32 played on the Saturday?

This adults view is that at some point you have to learn to go with whatever life serves up: that is both the good and the bad. It seems like Worlds was a good experience and given that their are enough BAD things out there why try to add one more to the negative score?

It is really important that you try and figure out in what way the T32 got gipped. When you have figured out that they didn't then you will have grown a little bit more.

Sometimes life serves lemons. So make lemonade ! But this wasn't one of those times ;)

Last edited:
T32 was played Saturday.
After reading these post I asked yesterday how they felt about Worlds and the prizes/goodies they got.

2 players ending up top 32 said, we even got more than expected. Getting a free prerelease is a great prize. They could understand why anyone should complain about it. And the know what the prizes were in the higher divisions.
1 player ending up top 16 said, I got this, this, this and this that's a lot, I felt I was the champion and not the looser.

For me personal, those sholarships shouldn't even been added to the price structure.
Without them it was enough.
If you can only feel yourself a Champion in relation to what you have earned I feel sorry for you.

We are happy that we were there and can proudly say, I ended between the T32 or T16 players of the World in 2004.
That status means more than any prize which belonged to it.
I see a little boy going to school, wearing his T16 backpack with pride every day.

Worlds was the only event were all players felt under the same prize structure, and we have seen something very different overhere at CC's and Prereleases.
Meaby that's why our players are so happy, they finally got what was announced (even more).

Last edited:
I see a little boy going to school, wearing his T16 backpack with pride every day.

Rofl yeah I just can't wait till I get my jacket for the ultimate combo ;/ rofl

GrandmaJoner said:

Hey, if it was big enough, send it to me. I'd wear it with pride. And not just to pokemon league either, I mean everywhere! I wear my badges sometimes even after league, and have people ask me about them. Doesn't bother me one bit. People actually do look up to persons who dare go against the norm. Everyone at my work knows I do the "pokemon thing" and respects me for it. And I do mean everyone. Don't ever lack the courage to stand up for what you like. If you do, one day you'll wake up and wish you had stood out, instead of being a follower.

GrandmaJoner said:
Rainbowgym said:
*sigh* The more things change, the more they stay the same: anyone else remember the statements a certain highly-ranked (and later, DCI-banned =/) player made about "burning" the TWO jackets he won at ECSTS 2001?

Deja-vu, all over again...=/

'mom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back