Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar Prime Not as Broken as it's Hype says??

I was under the understanding that it all happens simultaneously Via all the ditto rulings.....
"There is not a time when you DON'T have an active pokemon" so at the time your opponent is KO'd
That gengar prime is your active pokemon....

Also The Duskanoir X rulings support this...

I assume you mean this one as there are no other rulings on it which are remotely the same, and this one is only remotely:

Q. What happens to Dusknoir Lv.X when it is KO'd by Giratina Lv.X's "Darkness Lost" attack? Does it go to the Lost Zone, or does "Ectoplasm" allow it to become a Stadium?
A. When Dusknoir Lv.X would be Knocked Out, it becomes a Stadium instead of being discarded. Since it is not going to the discard pile, it is not sent to the Lost Zone. (Feb 12, 2009 PUI Rules Team)
Here's the deal though

Player "A" active Gengar SF with Gengar Prime Bench

Player "B" active that KOs Gengar SF with whatever on the bench

Player "A" still during the attack phase flips heads on Fainting Spell

Players "A" and "B" resolve KO's simultaneously on Gengar SF and whatever KO'd it.

-then-

Players "A" and "B" replace their actives. Gengar Prime was not active when Player "B"'s whatever Pokemon was KO'd as Gengar SF was still active when that occured and the KO was resolved.

The best ruling to back this up would be this one from the Ask the Rules Team forum. Also, the question you were responding to in 188 there are 2 issues with your reply

1. Gallade was talking about putting the damage on Gengar Prime to KO it, not Gengar SF

2. Even if it were Gengar SF being Knocked Out, it still wouldn't activate the Power because it would have met its end from an attack that "Puts" damage.

Last edited:
And then you get to flip for gengars power.... and guess what you're now in the lost zone. Unsless the wording is changed

Because the way the current order is

you knock gengar out
you flip for power
tails you go to lostzone... Cause gengar prime is still active when you're knocked out, so.... to the lost zone both shuppet and banny go... Thats 2 outta 6

Ermmm it doesn't matter.
If Banette put 7 damage on it, I'd use Gengar Prime's second attack to kill it and get 2 auto-lost zoned Pokemon.

Japan plays a totally different format from us... Gengar cant work as a 30 card deck because 1st they only play wit half the prizes, so getting 6 pokemon before they take 3 prizes in the lost zone is kinda hard especially when their is about 10 pokemon total in the deck.

Is gengar the fastest deck... NO but in a 60 card deck, it is the most consistent and hardest deck to beat it is really the only deck that has NO weakness, in order to beat it you have to outplay you opponent and hope they have bad luck, and hope you flip heads

They play a 40 card format. That is only twenty cards off. Then, when they top cut, they play 60. With 6 prizes. If I remember correctly, that means that they start with a more consistent deck and move to a larger deck.

The deck will not work, and I laugh at those who try.

Yeah... Gengar will work, it's just, it won't utterly consume everything... I've already seen a couple pretty scary lists... I'll be honest in saying I didn't waste any time testing them yet, but theoretically I don't see how it wouldn't at least work to some extent.

They play a 40 card format. That is only twenty cards off. Then, when they top cut, they play 60. With 6 prizes. If I remember correctly, that means that they start with a more consistent deck and move to a larger deck.

The deck will not work, and I laugh at those who try.

BIG Difference n 40 and 60 card decks... thats why stage 2's have NEVER been succesful in Japan.
40 cards is all about speed speed and more speed with the reduced prize count setting up stage 2 lines especially in multiples is extremely hard.

Ditto Ruling
My Opponent and i are tied on prizes. i Have an Active ditto with 50hp and 70damage on it. My opponent has and active Kingdra with 130hp and 80 damage on it. Time is called on my turn. I copy dragon pump and do 60 damage to knock out Kingdra..... and 20 on the bench

HERE IS THE RULING

DAMAGE IS CALCULATED... NEW ACTIVE IS PROMOTED SIMULTANEOUSLY as old goes to discard

So when my opponent promotes an uxie, I am knocked out and we go into sudden death... or in the new rules +3

So after the flip GENGAR PRIME is my new active sooo, you're going to lost zone

sure you would discard first... but the GAME STATE IS SIMULTANEOUS!

I Know from all my games using ditto as a Kingdra counter

HERE IS THE RULING

DAMAGE IS CALCULATED... NEW ACTIVE IS PROMOTED SIMULTANEOUSLY as old goes to discard

So when my opponent promotes an uxie, I am knocked out and we go into sudden death... or in the new rules +3

So after the flip GENGAR PRIME is my new active sooo, you're going to lost zone

sure you would discard first... but the GAME STATE IS SIMULTANEOUS!

I Know from all my games using ditto as a Kingdra counter

I follow your thought process, but that's a different mechanic. Gengar Prime wouldn't be active when the Pokemon was KO'd. Discarding KO'd Pokemon and promoting new Pokemon does happen simultaneously, but is directly after the KO's have been resolved. Otherwise you would end up with 2 Pokemon active at the same time.

I follow your thought process, but that's a different mechanic. Gengar Prime wouldn't be active when the Pokemon was KO'd. Discarding KO'd Pokemon and promoting new Pokemon does happen simultaneously, but is directly after the KO's have been resolved. Otherwise you would end up with 2 Pokemon active at the same time.

Gonna need an offical ruling on this... But after ALOT of research here is what ive come to

Gengars Poke power Fainting spell is triggered when it is knocked out so you have to resolve its effect first. so the coin flip is heads, the defending pokemon is now knocked out.

The question is... Is the Gengar Prime considered active at the time of The Fainting spell ko? Or is the KO'd Fainting spell Gengar active

Because similar rulings say the game state doenst enter the next phase until the active is promoted,
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48395&highlight=flygon+sand+damage

AND that there is never a time when a player DOESNT have an active pokemon

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115887&highlight=ditto+bench

Because it is "instantaneous." Does that mean Gengar Prime is the active Pokemon or was the pokemon Knocked out BEFORE gengar was active.

I SAY BECAUSE IT was a power that you were resloving, and because it all happens at the same time gengar Prime's pokebody IS applied.

Gengar Prime's body is not applied until it is brought active.

It is not brought active until Gengar SF has been discarded.

Gengar SF is not discarded until its power has been resolved. When its power is resolved, the opponent is KO'd, as well.

The two Pokemon are discarded at the same time. Gengar Prime is brought active at the same time as the opponent's new Active Pokemon.

One player does not promote a new active before the other.

Kayle is right, the inbetween action checks wont allow you to advance a pokemon until there is NO LONGER an Active, so fainting spell activates, flip for KO. when/if KOs are made discard all Ko'd pokemon, THEN after Prizes are drawn you advance a pokemon. based on inbetween action checks. ( or state based effects for those MTG players out there)
and on a second note the ACTIVE players advances a pokemon first. ( incase of situational arguements)

and on a second note the ACTIVE players advances a pokemon first. ( incase of situational arguements)

I didn't know that, but that doesn't change my argument, I just have to modify my statement:

One player does not promote a new active before the other player's pokemon has to do the same (i.e. the Pokemon has already been discarded). The active player in this case would be the one you'd want to Lost Zone anyway.

little over looked rule Kayle, but you are right doesnt change the statement, what they want to be doing is CurseGaring into a ko or a Uxie and under into a KO as those effects Resolve before the KO is checked. the problem with using the ditto ruling is it Doesnt ever revert back to a ditto it remains the KO'd pokemon until a new active is sent up and then it causes a ( Inbetween action check aka a statebased check) to see what it is now.

---------- Post added 10/22/2010 at 04:06 PM ----------

(18)
3 Dialga G
1 Dialga G Lv X

2 Garchomp C
2 Garchomp C Lv X

1 Azelf
2 Uxie
1 Uxie Lv X

1 Ambipom G
1 Toxicroak G "Promo"

1 Toxicroak G
1 Skuntank G
1 Crobat G
1 Bronzong G

(26)
4 Cyrus Conspiracy
3 Pokemon Collector
2 Bebe's Search
1 Aaron's Collection
4 Team Galactic's Invention Poketurn
3 Team Galactic's Invention Energy Gain
3 Team Galactic's Invention Power Spray
2 Team Galactic's Invention SP Radar
2 Expert Belt
2galactic hq

(15)
4 Sp. Metal Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Call Energy
1 Metal Energy
1 Psychic Energy
2 Warp Energy

Here's a dialgachomp that I just pulled from HT. Find me the space for everything else you guys are trying to shove in (old amber, comm, more radars and sprays, more stadiums, etc.). There simply isn't. This list already has several issues (2 basic energy, 1 aaron's, only 3 gain, etc.) so trying to shove in 6 more cards to already kill an inconsistant deck is :lol:.

wow brian if you'd have showed upto any constructed event so far this year ( and hell most of last) you'd know taht this looks nothing like the lists being seen right now... 4 call? 3 spray? P frog and a stadium? wheres the Inteveiwers? time to stop playing theorymon and start playing pokemon

Look up Refudiate.

Anyways, how does bannete kill itself? it discards 7 pokemon, then switch them to gengar, next turn, loneliness.

You seem to have forgotten that Gengar Prime has a second attack >.> it's not very good, but it counters Banette fairly well.

Back