Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Colorless Blaze counter? Maybe... (E-on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkates

This is currently a purely conceptual deck (at least for me), aimed at countering BAR and other Blaze variants. Any suggestions, relevant comments, and fixes would be appreciated.

Pokémon (19):
3 Slakoth (R/S)
2 Vigoroth (SS)
3 Slaking (R/S)
4 Dunsparce (SS)
2 Skitty (Double-edge)
2 Delcatty (Holo)
3 Pichu (SS)

Trainers (23):
3 Professor Oak's Research
3 Oracle
3 TV Reporter
3 Juggler
3 Switch
3 Warp Point
2 Rare Candy
3 Oran Berry

Energy (18):
11 Electric Energy
3 Boost Energy
4 Warp Energy

Strategy: Slaking is the star of the show. Get two out, with an appropriate supporting cast. Since Slaking shuts off your opponent's Poké-Powers, but not your own, you can use the ever-popular Delcatty/Oracle combo, while still keeping the Poké-Power lock-down on your opponent, unlike SK Umbreon and Muk ex. The excessive number of switching cards is on purpose -- keep alternating Slakings so that you can do 100 each turn (which is pretty formidable) as opposed to 100 every other turn (which is much less effective). Pichu/Juggler/Oran Berry is to help out in the powerup process early on. This deck will need the extra Energy speed. The only glaring problem I see is that every Pokémon in this deck is weak to Fighting. Also, I can't be sure whether it will be fast enough.

I wouldn't worry so much about the fighting weakness, as I don't think there are too many fighting decks out there. I would worry about speed being an issue, so I'd take out an Oran Berry for another Rare Candy and replace POR with PETM or Fast Ball.

duanojo said:
I wouldn't worry so much about the fighting weakness, as I don't think there are too many fighting decks out there. I would worry about speed being an issue, so I'd take out an Oran Berry for another Rare Candy and replace POR with PETM or Fast Ball.

I dunno - lots of potential with teh Team Magma cards and SwampertEX. I looked at Slaking also but came to the conclusion that the discard BASIC energy requirement makes this deck way too slow. BlazeEX will be eating your lunch quickly as you have no time to build up and maintain two SlaKings - and need I remind of God-o-War with all that energy stuck to these guys?

Last edited:
-3 Juggler
+1 POR
+1 Oracle
+1 Slakoth
-2 Warp energy
+1 Town Volunteer (or ERS)
+1 Boost

I'd first like to say.. I LOVE this deck. Brilliant idea :D

Now for the fix.. first off - I hate Jugglers. You're already discarding enough b/c of delcatty and pichu wont be your main attacking poke. The 4 Oracles is a must have w/ delcatty power drawing. MAX POR is always good to give your deck flexibility. Since your running 3 Slakings, run an additional Slakoth incase they get prize trapped :/ The energy should be self explainatory (switches), and the boost energy increases hard dmg chances. Town volunteers/energy recycle/fisherman would work b/c you dont have a way to recycle lost energies by energy draw other than pichu.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Very good points, all of you. I'm hoping the situation isn't as bad as ScythKing paints it, though he may very well be right. I wouldn't know -- I've never played against BAR, and it's been a long time since I went up against any Blaze variant (happens when you only play online ;)). Anyone else want to comment or fix?

Last edited:
Well, let's see. With Gardevoir's fixes (which, IMO, look like the better idea), this is the resulting list:

Pokémon (20):
4 Slakoth (R/S)
2 Vigoroth (SS)
3 Slaking (R/S)
4 Dunsparce (SS)
2 Skitty (Double-edge)
2 Delcatty (Holo)
3 Pichu (SS)

Trainers (23):
4 Professor Oak's Research
4 Oracle
3 TV Reporter
3 Switch
3 Warp Point
2 Rare Candy
3 Oran Berry
1 Fisherman

Energy (17):
11 Electric Energy
4 Boost Energy
2 Warp Energy

I chose Fisherman instead of Town Volunteers or ERS, simply because it seems to leave a little less to chance. Before I posted this deck, I was considering having a Magneton line in there, but ended up taking it out for something else. I don't exactly remember what, but now that I think about it, adding it back could help out, if I can find a good way to do it. Suggestions on that (or anything else for this deck) would be appreciated. I haven't actually built any version of this deck, since I happen to be a few cards short :(. If I get the chance, I may end up building or Apprenticing this one, but for now, it's still theoretical.

Last edited:
Deck looks fine.. now for the ultimate test: playing against blaziken/ex/ray. Put it to the ultimate test and come back w/ battle results :D It fits the overal theme completely so if it happens to fail, its just because blazikens too powerful OR too fast.

When you remember what you wanted to add to the deck, repost and Ill gladly help you fix.

I think it was Pichu. Thing is, without Pichu, there's no way on earth this deck is going to be anywhere close to fast enough to contend with Blaze/Ray or any other Blaze variant. So, if we want to put Magneton in, it'll have to replace something else. A 2/2 line should do it, but that's still 4 slots, and I can't see where those slots would come from. Hopefully, you can. ;)

Mob2099 said:
this is similiar to an idea i had, but dont have the cards to make.
slaking, umbreon, muk ex deck .

This deck focuses not only on shutting down powers - but ONLY the opp's powers. Making the delcatty line a great idea :D

Fix: Pichu has to stay :/ I duno if you wanna do this, but you can always add pikachu to evolve and save your pichu. Thats only if you want to. Other than that, there's nothing more I can do. Additional lines exp: magneton will mess up the trainer/energy used for your slaking line.

Last edited:
Not gonna work. Way too slow. Ninetales and/or Blaziken ex will have no problem with this, neither would rayquaza (besides weakness). And getting 2 slaking out is way too slow, because they require a 4 energy build up to attack anyways. This deck would not win a tourney, but could come say top 10 or something.

Hero said:
Additional lines exp: magneton will mess up the trainer/energy used for your slaking line.
I take it you mean "especially" Magneton, since there's no Magneton in Expedition. Personally, considering the flexibility of the bench in this deck, and the fact that I already use Electric Energy, I don't see that it'd be a problem, unless you see something I don't. I suppose you mean that there aren't really cards I can spare for the discard, in which case you may be right. It would depend on the situation, I guess.
GrandmaJoner said:
Not gonna work. Way too slow. Ninetales and/or Blaziken ex will have no problem with this, neither would rayquaza (besides weakness). And getting 2 slaking out is way too slow, because they require a 4 energy build up to attack anyways.
Hence Pichu. I don't know if it'll work, or if it's the best way to do it, but it should help in the powerup process. With the right set-up, I can have one Slaking ready to attack, with another one on the bench with 3 Energy, as early as turn 3. Of course, that particular setup is a bit of a long shot, but it is possible.

Here is my idea on the matter, If my ideas are worth something ;) . Drop fisherman, 2 dunsparce, and 1 pichu. Add a 2-2 magneton line. Despite what others say, magneton really is good. Magneton replaces the need for fisherman. 4 dunsparce and 3 pichu are excessive. Like I mentioned, cutting of fire starter is good in combo with er2. What could you drop for er2.... Sugestions anyone? (Personally i think magneton nullifies pichu and you could remove all three pichus. :D :colorless :colorless

Last edited:
I can see where you're coming from about Magneton and Pichu, but Pichu gives extra Energy speed, and Magneton doesn't. I'd probably use Pichu early on, and Magneton later, once everything was set up. I was actually thinking of the same drops as you were for the Magneton line. The only reason I'm not sure I'd do it is that Pichu is very important for the setup, and Dunsparce is important as a backup. Still, I might drop, say, 2 Dunsparce, 1 Fisherman, and one POR or Oran Berry for the Magneton line. I'm still thinking about the ER2's, but as it is, I just don't see room for them.

OK, anyone have any more comments, suggestions, ideas, or fixes? Has anyone played or playtested this deck or one like it, and would like to tell me how it went? Any such responses would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back