Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A New Player in Desperate Need of Help

BigZ

Hello there,

The name's Zach Grant and I have a very specific problem regarding the Player Point system. I started playing about 2 months ago and love the game compared to the Yu-gi-oh community which I originally come from.

However I run into two problems here.

1. I am from Maine, and there is VERY LITTLE organized play here. The first tournament I played in was Maine states and got 9th place. It was my first time playing and I was pleased to pick up the game so quickly. However since then there have been no tournaments or leagues I have found to pick up Player Points from without going to New Hampshire (which I have gone to once).

2. Nationals, which I have a ride to, is in only 2 weeks, and I have no way of getting enough Player Points to compete... Which is really a shame being a new player in an isolated area without any way of getting points. I understand the point system, but right now it's locking out someone who is honestly looking to get into the game.

I literally have more championship points then player points right now. (3 Championship to 2 Player Points)

So my question to this board is, what should I do? I'd like to somehow be able to play in Nationals...

I doubt there's much that can be done for you (Which is unfortunate, and on the same hand why the system was implemented), but contacting support.pokemon.com would be your only real option for trying to gain entry.

Posted with Mobile style...

But it's not like I am a noob off the street really, which is the reason the system is in place. I am an honest and knowledgeable player who is just new to the game.

It's a shame to limit players just because of geographical location too...

But it's not like I am a noob off the street really, which is the reason the system is in place. I am an honest and knowledgeable player who is just new to the game.

It's a shame to limit players just because of geographical location too...

Even without being able to play Nationals, there are a ton of free side events, league, and other things going on there.

Just from a quick search, there is/was 2 Maine BR's, and a PR. Didn't know where you were, so just searched the capital.

If you attend a league, you'll get 1 point per season, which is 8 points for the next year, and 3 points for states which would be plenty. Seems like there's 2 leagues in Maine, and if none are near you could try finding a place to setup a league as well, and maybe run one yourself.

Either way, with knowing the system now, you can prepare for next year's nationals and maybe play that, but there's nothing they can do for this year.

Even without being able to play Nationals, there are a ton of free side events, league, and other things going on there.

Just from a quick search, there is/was 2 Maine BR's, and a PR. Didn't know where you were, so just searched the capital.

If you attend a league, you'll get 1 point per season, which is 8 points for the next year, and 3 points for states which would be plenty. Seems like there's 2 leagues in Maine, and if none are near you could try finding a place to setup a league as well, and maybe run one yourself.

Either way, with knowing the system now, you can prepare for next year's nationals and maybe play that, but there's nothing they can do for this year.

There is one place that operates in Maine called "Weekend Anime" it operates a Saturday tournament that I've been to once, however it wasn't sanctioned that week even though it was advertised to be.

But I guess what I'm saying is that being a new player I shouldn't have to hit EVERY event in my area in order to play in nationals. Especially since I have a job and have to work most weekends. I've got championship points, I've proven an ability for the game and an interest in being a serious player.

Does anyone know who the TO is for nationals?

Unfortunately, there is probably no way you will be allowed to play in US Nats. Simply because you do not have the points required for entry into the event.

This is a common problem for players all over the US, not just in Maine.

As far as the TO for Nats, that would be Pokemon. You can try to plead your case through Customer Support there, but your chances are not all that good.

If nothing else, you will now know what is needed for next year...

Unfortunately, there is probably no way you will be allowed to play in US Nats. Simply because you do not have the points required for entry into the event.

This is a common problem for players all over the US, not just in Maine.

As far as the TO for Nats, that would be Pokemon. You can try to plead your case through Customer Support there, but your chances are not all that good.

If nothing else, you will now know what is needed for next year...

I already sent them a message about it. It wasn't a lack of knowing what I needed for next year, I knew what I needed this year, just a lack being able to get it in the time allotted.

And "Pokemon" as a TO isn't what I meant, I meant who the head judge would be at the event, aka who you pay the cash to and who has the last say on rulings.

There is one place that operates in Maine called "Weekend Anime" it operates a Saturday tournament that I've been to once, however it wasn't sanctioned that week even though it was advertised to be.

But I guess what I'm saying is that being a new player I shouldn't have to hit EVERY event in my area in order to play in nationals. Especially since I have a job and have to work most weekends. I've got championship points, I've proven an ability for the game and an interest in being a serious player.

Does anyone know who the TO is for nationals?

I already sent them a message about it. It wasn't a lack of knowing what I needed for next year, I knew what I needed this year, just a lack being able to get it in the time allotted.

And "Pokemon" as a TO isn't what I meant, I meant who the head judge would be at the event, aka who you pay the cash to and who has the last say on rulings.

I'm not saying you have to hit every event in your area. If you go to league once a season, or sometimes just once, they'll record you every season. Which is 8 points. Also, sanctioned tournament or not doesn't matter, you don't get play points unless it's a premier tournament (ie. Battle Road).
Each division has a different HJ, but they do rulings, most everything else goes through Pokemon, they'll have employees there helping out and running things as well.
Also, as i said before about running a league, it doesn't have to be on weekends either. You could have em Wednesday nights, or whenever you're able to.

edit: And Nationals is free, there's no money you'd be paying them...

I'm not saying you have to hit every event in your area. If you go to league once a season, or sometimes just once, they'll record you every season. Which is 8 points. Also, sanctioned tournament or not doesn't matter, you don't get play points unless it's a premier tournament (ie. Battle Road).
Each division has a different HJ, but they do rulings, most everything else goes through Pokemon, they'll have employees there helping out and running things as well.
Also, as i said before about running a league, it doesn't have to be on weekends either. You could have em Wednesday nights, or whenever you're able to.

edit: And Nationals is free, there's no money you'd be paying them...

Non premier tournaments do give up to 1 PP per month. (1 Per tourney, up to one tourney a month)

Posted with Mobile style...

Well, let's see if I have you right, you ask for Head Judges at Nats, well I am one of the four Head Judges, Head Judge of Masters Blue. However, the HJ's have no say over who plays and does not. The Pokemon Company International, as in the group that sanctions the event and therefore the 'Organizer' has the final say over who does and does not have enough points.

It is not a situation of "I am new and couldn't get enough points', it is a situation of 'I could not enough points fast enough this year, so I will just have to wait till next year.'

Contact them. They have the final say.

Also, the time allotted started last year on Sept. 1st. Plenty of time, as there has been 9 months to this date. If you just started, that is a shame, but those are the rules.

We have seen your CS ticket but you should be aware that the message sent by a buddy of yours via Facebook was simply deleted as that is not how one reaches the OP team. :)
You will hear from us shortly.

I wasn't aware a friend of mine had even sent a message :O Being honest about that, but I guess it's nice to have a few friends in the game who know some people, haha.

But thanks for the consideration. I love the game and am trying to get more of the Yu-gi-oh players in my area to see the light of how a card game community should look. Again thanks for even taking my sitch into consideration.

Hey man.. I'm from Maine too, Portland, we may have played at states. My kids and I are way into the game and regularly play at WA and yeah.. the Pokemon scene in Maine is pretty slim. However if you're in southern ME there's a ton of places in NH and MA that have good sized and well run premier events if you don't mind driving a little. There's a Battle Roads both Sat and Sun within an 1 1/2hrs. of Portland this weekend in fact.

Hopefully Pokemon will help your PP situation out 'cause discouraging new player is definitely not the reason for implementing the PP system. Either way, if you have a ride to Nats then GO. It is the most fun event you'll go to and the side events are non-stop.. you'll actually get in more pokemon than if you played in the main event lol.

Hopefully I'll see you at WA sometime soon and definitely feel free to PM on here if you want any info on the local scene.

Hey man.. I'm from Maine too, Portland, we may have played at states. My kids and I are way into the game and regularly play at WA and yeah.. the Pokemon scene in Maine is pretty slim. However if you're in southern ME there's a ton of places in NH and MA that have good sized and well run premier events if you don't mind driving a little. There's a Battle Roads both Sat and Sun within an 1 1/2hrs. of Portland this weekend in fact.

Hopefully Pokemon will help your PP situation out 'cause discouraging new player is definitely not the reason for implementing the PP system. Either way, if you have a ride to Nats then GO. It is the most fun event you'll go to and the side events are non-stop.. you'll actually get in more pokemon than if you played in the main event lol.

Hopefully I'll see you at WA sometime soon and definitely feel free to PM on here if you want any info on the local scene.

I am 6'8", f you knew me, you'd know me, haha. And I know there are events in Mass and NH, but like, I can't always drive there every weekend, it's tough... :/

I understand that PP is important to show dedication, and thanks for understanding that in this instance it's just hurting me for being a new player.

If you'd ever like to carpool defs get in touch with me.

Their are a lot of events in mass. and NH where you can go. Also if you go to league they it is 1PP per season so you could go their also. Right now if you have 2 PP then their is no way you can go to nationals this year. Try again next year.

Hey, can you guys read the whole thread before just responding with the same answers?

This was not a question of how to get Player Points over a year, but how a new player in a semi-isolated area who couldn't occur enough player points fast enough could some how gain entrance to nationals.

I appreciate the advice, it's just not topical to the question at hand.

Can people please read the thread?

The event you posted was already mentioned, and it is the only legit tournament in Maine.

I have used the tournament organizer to find local leagues which I have contacted some of the organizers (most never responded) and others told me it was like four 10 year olds playing after school...

But once again I'll say, this whole thread was not about how to get Play Points...

I'm being thick because if you know so much about PP then you will already know that you cannot qualify this year. I get the impression that you want an effort free magic wand. (The who do you pay money to "joke")

special pleading because you are "new" isn't gong to get a positive response if you are so critical of others attempts to help. If the thread isn't about Play Points then you have failed to indicate what it is about. Has no one from Maine qualified?

A qualification minimum means that not every player will qualify. It also means that if you are new late in the season then you almost certainly wont qualify. But you already know that.

---

there are lots of threads on the gym where players are asking or demanding that there should be more events near them but when challenged about what they are prepared to do to make that happen only offer excuses as to why someone else should put in all the effort. Is this another one?

The NE of the USA has a lot of events even if your particular bit is not well covered. Players already have to travel and many have work commitments too.

Four ten year olds playing nearby is called an opportunity for growth, I'm sorry that you can't see it as such.

Last edited:
Back