Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anyone got a counter to MewTwoEX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPoke

Anyone got a counter to MewTwoEx? Other than MewTwoEX of course.

This pokémon seems just as broken as Sneasel was if not more so :( A mewTwo Ex deck eats Scizor for breakfast, and even Entei/Cargo isn't going to outspeed it most of the time.

NoPoke said:
Anyone got a counter to MewTwoEx? Other than MewTwoEX of course.

This pokémon seems just as broken as Sneasel was if not more so :( A mewTwo Ex deck eats Scizor for breakfast, and even Entei/Cargo isn't going to outspeed it most of the time.

Well... it's not so much a counter... but it's a deck that is pretty strong and can counter Mewtwo EX if needed...

Gardevoir/Mightyena/Mewtwo EX.

Gardevoir and Mewtwo EX can take out Mewtwo EX in a hit... and Mightyena gives a nice fight against it due to resistance. I found it worked pretty decent. :)

Yah Sneasel eats it for lunch ;\ I mean it only does 30 and without any potions or oran berrys thats 2 turns at least for it to die

Gardevoir is insane against it. I think Mewtwo EX is waaaaay overrated. I mean you easily have the two energy cards, especially with Gardevoir's power. Mewtwo will have three energy cards attached. Attack with Gardevoir for 50-60 doubling to 100-120 for weakness and draw your two Prizes. Gardevoir is just way more solid IMO. It's got an insane power which has some definite uses. Nice HP, solid as hell.

~Jim Ferrell

MMMM overated maybe but Ian (NoPoke) Saw it rip through a BZ last night ...

Play it with ER2 and maybe even SER2 and the Sponge is back.. it fast and furious and has you doing 60 damage turn 2 consistantly.

Looking to the post WotC era when we get left with e-Card onwards what do we have then to counter it?

At the moment sneasel is gonna get ROUGED could be a nice counter when the NEO babies finally go from Modified..

Do not underestimate it ... Mewtwo ex, Juggler, dump 2 energy draw 5 energy absorb, next turn 60 damage on turn 2 only cargo is faster and then its down to who goes first...

gotta love it, gotta love cargo more but when the big slug goes too.. who then rules the roost?

Even though Mewtwo ex is very powerful, there are plenty of Psychic-types that can do 50 damage, doubled to 100. Espeon, Gardevoir, Kirlia, etc. Also, there are other cards that can do well, particularly Dark-types.

Noah121 said:
Even though Mewtwo ex is very powerful, there are plenty of Psychic-types that can do 50 damage, doubled to 100. Espeon, Gardevoir, Kirlia, etc. Also, there are other cards that can do well, particularly Dark-types.

Oh yeah! I expect many anti-mewtwo decks namely Mightyena and Sneasel EX to be popping up around everywhere. Mightyena has a power that takes lowers the attackers damage by 10. So in effect, that gives Mewtwo EX up against the Mightyena the ability to only do 20 damage with Psyburn. So there are ways to beat this card.

What I think

ok, mew2 ex...

Fast, easy attack...

Many ways to counter it....

Like ditto(?), clefable, chansey, Mr mine(?), etc...

I think is depend on the palyer he/himself as there is an happening, there will be a way to over come it...

Or think of another way is using e.dranti + healing field to make mew2 ex mad about how to kill e.dranti....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that player will :( about it.

Why?

1st pp
2nd resistance
3th damage

Right?

MP Mewtwo, but sicker. I love it. I take back some of the bad things I said about the game being weakened (the EX Pokémon make up for it).

That said, there are ways around it, and other decks can match its speed (60 damage on turn two), so it's not broken by any means. It still is, however, really powerful.

Well considering that Nintendo will probably only let us use their cards... Mewtwo ex isn't even a huge threat. There's NO way of discarding cards from your hand in RS only, and it's a third turn at-best 60. I like the card, don't get me wrong... but I can tell you right now that it's not as great as everyone thought. It's still an excellent card though ;x

~ Rand0m

Yeah, but imagine it with the WotC cards (or at the very least Casual):

First turn, he's out there. You attach a Psychic energy, have two other energies in hand (by whatever means, Bill, Energy Search, etc), Oak, then use his first move. Next turn, swing for 60. Repeat until opponent is subdued.

Blastoise could match that speed (Breeder, Oak through your deck), and Mr Mime could hold off the dang thing for a while, but a lot of decks could get steamrolled. Mewtwo EX isn't broken by any means, but it is cheap.

okay, you've all established things that can "faint" Mewtwo, but that's the point of the wonderful, magical Tyrogue! Almost all Dark types have that huge weakness to fighting, which is why Mewtwo ex is so playable. The only downfall I see is his (P) weakness, but the defending will also have that same weakness.

Slap on a Focus Band to Mew2 with a ready and able Tyrogue on the bench, Mewtwo ex is hard to beat!

NOTE: I am clueless when it comes to Nintendo rulings, so if missed something, please emphasize it!

and I'm pretty sure they will allow Juggler in the new Nintendo format, so that makes him a 2nd turn 60 damage at best.

mariuspnx2 said:
NOTE: I am clueless when it comes to Nintendo rulings, so if missed something, please emphasize it!
Hey, I make all sorts of comments about the TCG without knowing the new rules inside and out. The trick is to not worry about it and accept any corrections as you go.

RaNd0m said:
Well considering that Nintendo will probably only let us use their cards... Mewtwo ex isn't even a huge threat. There's NO way of discarding cards from your hand in RS only, and it's a third turn at-best 60. I like the card, don't get me wrong... but I can tell you right now that it's not as great as everyone thought. It's still an excellent card though ;x

~ Rand0m

Random's right... there's no way to use the speed of Energy asorption with it early game... the energy ain't gonna be there. That's the bad thing about him... he's strong but with just Nintendo cards... I think there's some stronger cards out there til we get some discarding cards... Nintendo needs to make a few cards like from the original base set... or something similar to Oak... PC Search.. Item finder... lass... stuff that's actually helpful without FLIPS. That's one thing I noticed about all the trainers that allow you to take an edge on the game at times...

ER2 and Pokemon reversal... both flips.. for effects that change the game. I wish they'd stop with the flips. It's sorta annoying.

The reason they make everything so reliant on coin flips is for their idea of balance. In a game where the base cost for an effect is zero, you need to tack on additional costs. Discarding energy in play, or cards in hand, or milling yourself, or even letting your opponent draw a prize is considered a cost. Flipping coins is a way around this, but with each flip you do, you lessen the overall chance of performing the effect.

One flip: 50% chance of winning
Two: 25% chance
Three 12.5% chance
Four: 6.25% chance

And so on and so forth. It's an extremely lazy way of costing things. Oak has the most powerful effect in the game, the dreaded "Draw 7" effect, and is balanced by discarding your hand. Elm has a Draw 7 effect, but is too steeply costed (namely, being unable to play any more trainers) to truly shine. Birch doesn't even have a Draw 7 effect.

It does, however, require a lot of playtesting to correctly balance the costs of a card, and you need to playtest extensively with each revision. How does it work in multiples? How does it work in the early game? The late game? How does it interact with the other cards in the deck? For that matter, is it weak in some decks but overly powerful in others? These and more are questions that the developers have to answer to their satisfaction, and it's easier to simply put a coin-flip effect and neuter the card's chance of being used seriously, than to playtest five dozen times (literally) per revision.

It's maybe just me, but I'm pretty sure that for the first few months at least, it will be Expedition on.

If Nintendo decide it's going to be Ruby & Sapphire onwards, the format will be VERY boring, IMO.

I think at least until the first few sets are released, it will be Expedition on.

We'd have like NO draw cards otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back