Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

City Challenge format for Origins GET IN LINE YOU POSERS

meganium45

ORIGINS PLAYER CHALLENGE!!!

City vs City....to find out who are the players, and who are the posers....

Cost, 3 boxes of any product from Aqua/Magma or HL per team, winning team leaves with 4, losing team leaves with 0 (2 boxes used for draft in the challenge)

Format - Modified and Rochester (yes, I am that nuts!!!)

Players must come from their regional area, to represent their team (Jimmy, you need to choose between Texas and Chicago)

Each team must consist of .....

1 player 10 and under
1 additional player 14 or under (could be another 10-)
4 additional players of any age.

Each must bring their modified deck, each team will play 2 modified games, time limit 30 minutes....

First, each 10- will play the 10-
Each 14- under will play the 14-
and "pick your poison" for 15+ players to randomly decide

Second round
Each 10- will play and 11-14
Each winning 15+ will play a winning 15+ "pick your poison"
Each losing 15+ will play a losing 15+ "pick your poison"

After the modified rounds are over (woot, 2 rounds) we will set up for Rochester Draft, with all the 10- and 11-14 players being in one pod with one (Pick Poison) of the 15+ from each group.

the other 15+ players will make the second pod.

usual Rochester rules, no talking, ideally Hidden Legends to draft (everyone keeps the cards they draft)

After 3 rounds of drafting, we tally the score...3 points for each win, 0 points for a loss, 1 point for a draw, to determine which team walks away with the 4 extra boxes, and the bragging rights to boot!!!

Please note: Bragging rights are invaluable...

Yes, I know there are more draft rounds than modified, those can change to 3/3 if preferred, but time was a factor.

We will have time for 2 of these challenges at Origins, one Friday night, one Saturday Night, woot, chaw, get in line, who can beat Team St. Louis?????

Meganium45 (ironically, probably not on team St. Louis, and therefore, a "mascot"?)

3 HL boxes = $225
Trip to Origins = $1200
Bragging rights = Priceless

I wish I could go, and may I suggest a clash between boards as a final challenge? or would that be better left for Worlds?

Also folks, bear in mind that the TO for Origins hasn't been contacted about this, so this isn't an "official" event that will take place in the TCG Hall.

Make it interesting. Mix up the sets for the Rochester. Rochestering with one set is extremely dull.

Also, who's running this? Whomever is, needs to not be associated with any of the players in any way, shape, or form AND needs to be able to enforce any applicable floor rules.

One other item....if the big deal out of all of this is bragging rights, why even have teams commit to bringing prizes? Teams should bring Rochester draft material.

Last edited:
meganium45 said:
Cost, 3 boxes of any product from Aqua/Magma or HL per team, winning team leaves with 4, losing team leaves with 0 (2 boxes used for draft in the challenge)

I must say that I'd NEVER play in a winner-take-all tournament. Maybe a 3-1 split, but NEVER 4-0 split on prizes. In a game were luck plays a very important role (especially when the players are all near the same skill level), this is akin to gambling. Not a good thing when children are involved.

Also, might I suggest against mixing HL with TA/TM? Not a good mix IMO. (But hey, it won't matter if I don't play anyway -- because of the winner-take-all prize split).

Last edited:
...Whats the point of this whole city team thing anyway?

Last time I checked we played Pokemon and got rankings for ourselves to win prizes and stuff for ourselves. Yes it does seem like a selfish way to look at it, but when only one can win.

Also note that the majority of 'Team Chicago' doesn't live within Chicago city limits so maybe a new name/concept should be thought up. Heck our major tourneys aren't even in Chicago.

In that case I think it should be nessicery for participants to provide proper proof of CURRENT residency and play with their respective city (or will it now be changed to 'area'?)

I suggest going over your tournament structure again and make some changes to make thigns a bit more 'fair' and enjoyable for those who would be willing to participate. I think you're focussed too much on being able to say "St Louis is the best" more than how you're supposed to get there. (What's with this grudge against ohio players anyway?)

Oh yeah and I don't think the boxes are nessicery, you'll be getting more than you need at origins.

Any team that has an opening and has already supplied the cost feel free to contact me. ^_~ MS simply doesn't have the man power to fill a team like that. XD But, if any team needs a ringer...feel free to PM me. ^_~

The whole point of the Rochester Draft is that everyone gets to enjoy the product being used. No matter what, 2 of the boxes being used are going to be burned in the event....

Oh, and yeah, it will NOT be sanctioned, and the location will be TBD, and I know there will be after-hours space available at the main hall, there always is (heck there were Poker players last year). Or, heh, it could be sanctioned, just as long as I don't play!

This is just a reaction to have some fun, win some bragging rights...did anyone see the nationals prize structure? Who is going to walk out with a ton of product, this is not the WOTC event where everyone got a box!

Heh, if need be, we will make it that the losing team splits a box, I don't really care....

As for judging, I am sure that a judge will be available, if the price is right....this is not a St. Louis is better than everyone thing (Ohio, and other areas have a LOT to say about that), just a friendly way to deal with competition in the game differently....

Let's do it, deal with the trial and error, and then have some fun in Texas (willing to do this after the Stadium event too, St. Louis will certainly be there), then maybe the Florida gang will have time to do this at Worlds....

Just a different way to spark competition between the regions...keep the game growing....M45

well that would be nice to do vince, but chaddy and i are unfortunately not going to be able to make it, so STL won't be at it's pinnacle condition, sorry all

So that would leave Newman, Colin, Me, Ben, Zak and Andrew....still not a bad 6, and I would back out for Anthony....

Still a power 6 that I would put my boxes behind....(not Chad and Scott, but...)

M45

JasonthePwnda said:
it may be "gambling" but chicago > all. why? their 11-14 player is amazingly good.

We have an 11- 14 player!? WHERE!? ya'll confusing... Don't you mean our -10 player?

I will chat with LuMaga1,FlareStarfire.Johhnyblaze and his kid to see what we can do and if we can get to do this. its a costy decision if we go but for the rights to the FireFighrers dynasty of NY and massachussets its a decision that may be worth the chance. Id love to leave as pokemon champions of NYS and let mike leave with rights to Massachussets. I have to see what they say and if the time of the whole event fits in our origins schedule. let us kno where it will happen and ill see if they want to go along with it.

Shdwchu said:
We have an 11- 14 player!? WHERE!? ya'll confusing... Don't you mean our -10 player?
lol, he was talking about himself, Jason's our 11-14 player, and he is going to nationals, so we should have a full team set up now.

meganium45 said:
Let's do it, deal with the trial and error, and then have some fun in Texas (willing to do this after the Stadium event too, St. Louis will certainly be there), then maybe the Florida gang will have time to do this at Worlds....

Just a different way to spark competition between the regions...keep the game growing....M45

Oooooh, this sounds so nice, it's not even funny. However, does it have to be just city/state only? I think it would be awesome if at places like worlds and the South SC, Team Neo, Team Chicago, Team Revolutions, and Team Texas could face off...ooooooh, that sounds nice.

Last edited:
Back