Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Community Effort: Teacher Decks, anyone?

cabd

Here’s a resource that I feel is missing from the tcg community:

Lists for “Hi I’m new but my favourite pokemon is XYZ and I want to build a deck built around XYZ only”

It may not be tier one, but those players just want to use their favourite pokemon. So I figured, why not make a nice big listing of those decks? Anyone can contribute, and I’ll edit the OP as we go on to list what pokemon is at what post number. My goal is to make decks that aren’t too expensive, and still serve as decks that are fun to learn with. (In all cases, 4 collectors can be 4 dual balls if the player cannot afford it)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Aggron: Post 35
Arcanine: Post 3
Altaria: Post 4
Ampharos: Post 17
Eevee: Post 18
Electrode: Post 32
Emboar: Post 2
Espeon: Post 22
Feraligatr: Post 33
Floatzel: Post 36
Houndoom: Post 11
Lapras: Post 36
Leafeon: Post 18
Lilligant: Post 18
Nidoking: Post 37
Nidoqueen: Post 37
Scizor: Post 35
Suicune: Post 32
Swanna: Post 4
Umbreon: Post 1
Vaporeon: Post 32
Wailord: Post 33
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Mods: Would it be possible to host Redshark .dek files for these lists as a quick resource for league leaders/etc to hand out to new players, or, at the very least, for me to link to a .zip or .rar of them?)

To begin, here’s a list for a player who likes Umbreon:
POKEMON: 18
Stage 1: 8
3 : Umbreon, UD-10
1 : Espeon (Prime), UD-81
2 : Zoroark, BW-71
1 : Espeon, CL-4
1 : Umbreon (Prime), UD-86
Basic: 10
4 : Eevee, UD-48
2 : Zorua, BW-70
3 : Absol (Prime), TM-91
1 : Cleffa, Promo-112

TRAINERS: 30
Trainers: 13
4 : Pokemon Communication, BW-99
2 : Switch, BW-104
2 : Revive, BW-102
3 : Pokemon Catcher, EP-95
2 : Junk Arm, TM-87
Supporters: 17
4 : Professor Oak's New Theory, GS-101
2 : Sage's Training, UD-77
3 : Twins, TM-89
4 : Pokemon Collector, GS-97
2 : Interviewer's Questions, CL-79
2 : Copycat, CL-77

ENERGY: 12
Special Energy: 7
3 : Double Colorless Energy, GS-103
4 : Darkness Energy (sp), CL-86
Basic Energy: 5
3 : Psychic Energy, BW-109
2 : Darkness Energy, GS-121
Anyone else?

THIS POST HAS RECEIVED GURU POINTS! ( click here to discover why ) - GuRu SQuaD

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love this idea, cabd. Sort of a middle ground between theme decks and competitive decks, yes?

Anyway, let's get building - I assumed some children would like the starter Pokémon and (especially) their final evolutions, so here goes with an Emboar effort!

Flare Fandango

Pokémon: 22

4-3-2/2 Emboar BLW (2x #19, 2x #20)
2-2 Ninetales HS
2-2 Entei & Raikou Legend UL
2 Shaymin UL
1 Cleffa HS

Trainers: 24

3 Rare Candy
3 Pokémon Communication
3 Junk Arm
2 Switch
2 Pokémon Catcher
2 Energy Retrieval
1 Seeker
3 Pokémon Collector
3 Professor Oak's New Theory
2 Fisherman

Energy: 14

9 Fire Energy
3 Double Colorless Energy
2 Rescue Energy

Basically, this deck teaches the principles of Abilities, draw engines, the difference between Special and Basic energies, LEGENDs and switching Energies around.

I play a 2/2 split of Emboars because one functions as a viable attacker, while the other one attaches the energy you need to use strong attacks.

Nintales functions as a good Fire-type draw engine, ERL works as a Water tech, and Shaymin switches Energies from Emboars to Emboars.

I'll try to think of more and better decks when I'm not this tired. DX

~Akane

Here is the list for my "Hi, I don't really know how to play but I don't want to sit around and do nothing" deck

4 Growlithe HS
4 Arcanine HS
4 Magmar CL
4 Hitmonlee CL
4 Sawk BLW
4 Timburr BLW

4 Potions
4 Switch
4 Bill
4 Cheren/Bianca
4 Cheerleader's Cheer

X Fire/Fighting Energy.

Also, for a cheaper version, cut out the Cheren Bianca Fire Pokemon, add Alomomola (UC) BLW, bad Cubchoo EPO and Squirtle UL with water energies.

All of these pokemon have no additional damage calculations or attack effects. Just attach and attack.

Akane, that's exactly right, these act as the vehicle into "my favorite pokemon is awesome, how can I compete with him?" and eventually into "I wanna win, let's play meta or rogue"

Here's another one, this time for Altaria or Swanna (Both seem to fit together in a fun way)

POKEMON: 19
Stage 1: 7
3 : Altaria, TM-2
2 : Floatzel, UL-16
2 : Swanna, BW-37
Basic: 12
3 : Swablu, TM-78
3 : Stantler, UL-64
2 : Ducklett, EP-26
2 : Buizel, UL-45
2 : Shaymin, UL-8

TRAINERS: 28
Trainers: 16
2 : Super Scoop Up, BW-103
3 : Switch, BW-104
3 : Energy Switch, BW-94
2 : Pokemon Catcher, EP-95
2 : Dual Ball, CL-78
Supporters: 9
4 : Professor Oak's New Theory, CL-83
1 : Twins, TM-89
3 : Pokemon Collector, GS-97
1 : Copycat, CL-77
Stadiums: 3
3 : Burned Tower, UD-71

ENERGY: 13
Special Energy: 4
4 : Double Colorless Energy, GS-103
Basic Energy: 9
9 : Water Energy, BW-107

On this note...
Here is the list for my "Hi, I don't really know how to play but I don't want to sit around and do nothing" deck

Pokemon

3 x Diglett - TM-61
4 x Machop - TM-67
2 x Machoke - TM-40
4 x Ponyta - TM-72
4 x Tepig - BW-15
2 x Pignite - BW-18
1 x Growlithe - HS-65
2 x Rattata - UD-64
1 x Dratini - TM-62

Trainer/Supporter/Stadium
2 x Potion - BW-100
1 x Crushing Hammer - EP-92
1 x Pokedex - BW-98
1 x Bill - HS-89
1 x Pokemon Catcher - EP-95
2 x Switch - BW-104
1 x Energy Retrieval - BW-92

Energy
14 x Fighting Energy - Basic
14 x Fire Energy - Basic

I recommend you add 1 x Machamp - TM-26 where you can. Ah, memories.

People who just want to use their favorites should not be encouraged into the game.
Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.
- Karen

More serious note, of course they should be encouraged into the game.

^

Wow...This is a troll post right?

It has to be...You can't seriously tell me you have issues based on how serious OTHER people take the game?

^

Wow...This is a troll post right?

It has to be...You can't seriously tell me you have issues based on how serious OTHER people take the game?

I'm pretty sure that Pokemon will never share those views or do anything to promote them so . . . what does it matter?

No, they shouldn't.

The point of the game is competition. The point of competition is to try your best to win. If you are specifically using things because you 'like' them, you are delibaretly putting yourself into a position where you have a reduced chance of success, thus going against the point of competition and the point of the game.

no play for scrubs = no motivation for them to give sales = no money for pokemon = no money to support the organized play = no way for players to play for prizes = GG.

What's the motivation behind bashing everyone not as good as you (think you are) anyway? Were you great when you started playing? I highly (HIGHLY) doubt it. You're saying you should never have been allowed to play? Are you more special than everyone you think is worse than you? Seriously, try to answer some of these questions.

Oh, and try not to get a good thread locked.

Because I had to, really.

TOTAL CARDS: 60

POKEMON: 19
Stage 1: 9
3 : Houndoom, UD-5
1 : Houndoom (Prime), UD-82
2 : Slowking, GS-12
3 : Weavile, UD-25
Basic: 10
4 : Houndour, CL-59
3 : Sneasel, UD-68
1 : Cleffa, GS-17
2 : Slowpoke, UD-66

TRAINERS: 29
Trainers: 14
3 : PlusPower, BW-96
3 : Pokemon Catcher, EP-95
4 : Junk Arm, TM-87
Supporters: 15
3 : Professor Juniper, BW-101
2 : Team Rocket's Trickery, UD-78
4 : Professor Oak's New Theory, GS-101
2 : Seeker, TM-88
4 : Pokemon Collector, GS-97

ENERGY: 12
4 : Darkness Energy (sp), UD-79
Basic Energy: 8
8 : Darkness Energy, GS-121

Use Houndoom's Dark Roar for Hand Disruption and damage. Compensate for low damage output with Burn flips on the Prime, PlusPowers, and good use of Catcher.

Weavile and Slowking support the hand disruption theme, Weavile (and Sneasel) can also be half-decent attackers.

Seeker to re-use Weavile and free up Bench space. Other stuff is pretty standard.

No, they shouldn't.

The point of the game is competition. The point of competition is to try your best to win. If you are specifically using things because you 'like' them, you are delibaretly putting yourself into a position where you have a reduced chance of success, thus going against the point of competition and the point of the game.
Not if your opponent is also playing a deck with a reduced chance of success. I actually LOVE lower-level Pokemon cards, because it requires a lot more flexibility than high-level play, since opposing decks are virtually impossible to predict.

I just wish there were more Limited tournaments in my area...

I go to ONE lab class, and come back to find... this. Guys, if you wanna argue about that kind of stuff, go to the Random Topic Center or something. This is a thread dedicated to helping noobs, not complaining about them.

That aside, Table Of Contents has been updated to reflect baby_mario's addition. I'll be editing in author names into the table of contents later.

Just to clarify, you want a deck surrounding the fav pokemon right?
Are you wanting it a potentially competitive deck?
Posted with Mobile style...

Just to clarify, you want a deck surrounding the fav pokemon right?
Are you wanting it a potentially competitive deck?
Posted with Mobile style...

It doesn't have to be SUPER-competitive, just not "them deck level"
Think like in between, as Akane said. It's nto that picky, some will be better than others competively, the idea is purely to taregt a new player's favorite monster. You can mix two mons that fit together like I did with Swanna and Altaria.

I didn't say they shouldn't play, just not be encouraged to continue playing bad decks. This whole idea is counterproductive to their potential development. How does it help someone by guiding them in completely the wrong direction?

I usually don’t take the time to do this, but you seem not to be trolling, you’re just under a misconception. Let me put this in analogy form:

Your grandfather decides to buy a computer (a new player decides to start Pokemon) and buys one (new player buys a theme deck). But, sadly, his brand new computer has no programs for it, except what came with it. (New player has league promos and theme deck cards primarily)

He comes to you for help. (New player shows up to league, asks for advice getting started.) He wants to get some basic software to do his taxes, write letters to the paper, get an email account, and watch family videos that people send him on DVD.

You suggest that we get him the top of the line software for everything, perhaps installing a terminal shell, because it gives so many powerful options (throw them a metagame deck.) He gets confused, struggling along, and eventually gives up, because it’s too hard. He has you do most everything for him. (New player is over-guided by experienced player, becomes dependent upon them.)

I suggest getting him Word, Firefox, Turbo Tax, and teaching him how to use Windows Media Player. Sure, it’s not that much less effort than throwing a command prompt at him, but he gets what he wants and is happy with. And perhaps, when he’s ready, he can move on to learning console commands. But only if he wants to.

Wanting new players to jump into metagame decks is what YOU want for them, as it increases the competitive player base, and makes events larger, etc. But that’s not necessarily what the new player wants for THEMSELVES. I know plenty of people very happy to play casually, and in fact, they would hate the speed and power of metagame decks.

Don’t believe me? This argument has been hashed out 1,000 or so times. Not everyone thinks like you. There will never be a point in time at which everyone thinks like you, unless you are the last remaining person in the universe. Accept this, and do what you do best. When players want to enter the metagame, coach the living heck out of them. But wait until THEY are ready, not when YOU are ready.

Whew, sorry for the min rant there, y’all. Getting back on track. Will start another deck list... aaaand done:

TOTAL CARDS: 60

POKEMON: 23
Stage 2: 4
2 : Ampharos, CL-23
2 : Ampharos (Prime), GS-105
Stage 1: 7
3 : Flaaffy, CL-43
2 : Ferrothorn, EP-73
2 : Lanturn (Prime), UL-86
Basic: 12
2 : Ferroseed, EP-70
1 : Basculin, EP-24
4 : Mareep, GS-73
2 : Zekrom, BW-47
3 : Chinchou, UL-48

TRAINERS: 23
Trainers: 19
2 : Switch, BW-104
1 : Revive, BW-102
2 : Pokemon Catcher, EP-95
3 : Rare Candy, UL-82
3 : Junk Arm, TM-87
4 : Dual Ball, CL-78
Supporters: 4
4 : Professor Oak's New Theory, CL-83

ENERGY: 14
4 : Double Colorless Energy, GS-103
Basic Energy: 10
2 : Water Energy, BW-107
8 : Lightning Energy, BW-108
Use Ampharos non-prime to power your attackers. Use catcher and Ferrothron's sniping ability to set up cheap kills. Also makes a decent beartic counter. Donphan is covered by your basculin line, hopefully giving you enough time to power up a secondary hitter. Thanks the the wording of ampharos' first attack, the water energy is easy to search out. Lanturn prime and zekrom are your late-game hitters.

Last edited:
I'm breaking a personal rule about not using cards from unreleased sets here.

I do it because it is for Lilligant.

4 Petilil EP
4 Lilligant EP
3 Victini NV (Victory Star)
3 Oddish UD
2 Gloom UD
2 Vileplume UD
2 Sunkern HGSS
2 Sunflora HGSS
1 Cleffa
=23 Pokemon

4 Pokemon Collector
4 Pokemon Communication
4 Rare Candy
4 Twins
3 Prof Oak's New Theory
3 Sage's Training
2 Copycat
2 Prof Juniper

8 Grass
3 Rescue
=11 Energy

Lilligant + Victini for 30 damage + Paralysis + Poison every turn (hopefully)

Vileplume to stop Switch/and general Trainer lock

Sunflora to search Grass Pokemon

Lots of Supporter draw to get set up

Rescue Energy as it is the best way to recover sniped Victinis and KO'd Lilligants under the Trainer Lock

No, they shouldn't.

I play decks around Pokemon I like and do pretty well with them. What counterproductive is giving a new player to the game the best deck in the format and telling them to go play.

If someone wants to play with their favorite Pokemon, it should be your job to help them out, not tell them to get off the site and don't play. You my friend are playing the game for all the wrong reasons.

Sorry, I couldn't get here (from a computer) sooner, but I saw the friction going down on my phone.

This thread has been scrubbed clean now.

Sorry, I couldn't get here (from a computer) sooner, but I saw the friction going down on my phone.

This thread has been scrubbed clean now.

Out of thanks, but saying it here. Thanks, R_A. I'll update the table of contents to use the new post numbers later.

Back