Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Corporate madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGame

Heads up guys and gals,I've just had some information which I find utterly amazing and completely mad.I have today had a conversation with our Pokemon/DCI manager within WOTC UK which defies belief. WOTC UK have a mound of product i.e. cards,deck boxes,binders etc sitting in a warehouse in the UK.We have been speaking about distributing the stuff to us,the UK professors,for use in our leagues and tournaments and now because of 'contractual reasons' they can no longer let us have this product and instead it will be destroyed!! Is this complete and utter madness or what?! We have offered to collect the stuff ourselves but to no avail! I realise there is obviously a financial implication but I find this situation absolutely incredible! After the generosity of MTM with his certificates,professor kits,professor shirts etc the penny pinching of WOTC UK is beyond belief! Comments anyone?

From my understanding MTM did IT ALL BY HIMSELF if not all most.

HE could have chosen that route BUT I beleive that due to his sympathy with DEDICATED pokemon players & organizers that he distributed what he could.

Uh, NOT everyone in the company was so sympathetic. AND I don't expect within a company THAT HAS LOST a license why they should be sympathetic with our transition. *IT's A BUSINESS 1st and foremost*

They could have FLOODED the market ala decipher *I think* And COUGH COUGH*NEVER CAME TO FRUITION*COUGH COUGH =/

Oh well. THAT just goes to show what an AWESOME HUMAN BEING MTM is.

Last edited:
I do understand that they probably may not give it NOW, but why didn't they give it when they were allowed to ???

It's a pity, and a shame, to know that material will be destroyed when kids could be so happy with it !

And it's more a shame in the UK, when we know that Profs and Master Profs have done so much for the game, that Wizards UK has done so less ... and that Profs have bought prizes for tournaments with their own money !

Unfortunately, everybody is not like MTM ... some prefer to destroy material instead of making people happy.

Two words ... shame and disgusting !

:( It's sad when things like this happen. My best advice though is either one of two things:
~Get a petition going and fast, although I doubt they'll be able to distribute anyways, or...
~Just try not to think about this. It'll just get you more mad or frustrated.

It's a shame when things don't happen, and I know I'd be really in a bad mood if this were to happen to us, but there really is not much you can do, unless somehow you get like a hundred people to petition against it.

Last edited:
If anyone is at fault, its WotC UK AND TPC. Who do you think is making WotC get rid of all the older product?

But... Hmm discarded or destroyed? That's a key thing to know.

Remember those League Badges? I'm sure they're at some landfill on the outskirts of Seattle now for anyone willing to do a little searching. Maybe the same with UK's stuff? We'll have some real junkyard wars over Poke-supplies between Team UKPokePro and Team NoPoke ;x
-Phil

MTM didn't look at this game from a business man's angle, he looked at it as a member of the community and a friend of the game and its players. That's how we got all this stuff.

But what they're doing in the UK is sick. It's almost like I would like to advice to attack the truck that'll drive the stuff to the barbage pile or big card-burning-fire. Steal all the cards just before they get demolished.

Oh really, I don't know what you should do. But demolish all the cards? It would be too bad. But I don't get this: why can't Wizards UK continue to sell the old sets? I thought Wizards could continue to sell out their supplies of old sets, but it seems I was wrong.

There's nothing to do with WoTC UK... No suport until the end :\

Here in Italy, when I did request to WoTC Italy some of the product they have left (I saw that when I went to Hasbro) for our FAT and for distributing it to Professors and players (as MTM too suggested to them), the actual DCI Manager (that now is DCI head in WoTC USA) told me that they stopped supporting Pokémon after Nationals... but it is not support!!! The only human person there, Barbara Fasolini, (old OP manager for PK, now marketing - though she semms to be disappeared as she doesn't answer to emails...) sent me a bunch of Pikachu metal coins, cause they ended up without no damage counters. But I know that they have a lot f promos left in a warehouse, and so on.
But how to move these materials now? °_°

Last edited:
If the product is destroyed then the bean counters can recover the tax paid on its original purchase. If they give it away then they cannot recover the tax.

Our government is paying WotC to destroy the stuff. :(

And like it has been said,it's the kids that lose out! (Perhaps they could leave the back door open,the product mysteriously dissapears and they could still claim their tax back):lol:

Sorry I gotta say Nintendo gave WotC a kicking and they are quite right to make the prudent business decision and claim the tax back by destroying the product.

The good news is they say they will still send out the product they still owe for Tourneys run in August by UK professors :)

Well its not often that I disagree with ukpokemonpro but I gotta say that I think wotc uk ARE wrong! Through the last 4-5 years myself,my son and thousands like us have bought product,attended tournaments(STS,Gym Challenges) and generally recruited hundreds more people in to the game.WOTC UK have made a damn good living on the profits (I know most of their profits are in Mtg) I (and many like me) have run leagues,tourneys etc and I think it is time for WOTC UK to follow WOTC in the USA's example and give something back to the people who have given time,money and ,yes dammit,a bit of our lives to this game! OK rant over and I'll just step down from this soapbox!

I'd be quick too as the soap box is for the crusher as well!

In some ways this paralells the floor rules thread that is also running. I may not like it but I won't condemn Wotc for destroying the product if that action enhances their profitability. That profitability may be crucial to a real person retaining their job. I doubt it but its not my call.

I don't like the destruction of product: I do think it stinks. But I wont condemn wotc for acting legally and with their own best interests at heart. Though I can see that their is a 'personal good' from not destroying the product I cannot see a 'greater good' from its preservation. It maybe a lack of vision on my part but I'll give wotc the benefit of the doubt.

It does stink and I don't like it but it isn't my decision to make. If I was REALLY unhappy with Wotc's decision then I'd buy a share in Hasbro and raise my objection at the next corporate meeting.

Last edited:
I liked TheGame's suggestion..
Mark the product down for destroying, "accidentally" let plans slip to someone when they'll be transporting them to wherever, and conveniently leave the van unattended for a while.. ;)

But, I can understand this... I definitely don't like it, but from a business point of view, I guess it's understandable

Hmm if you are claiming back LOTS of tax... then the customs men will expect to see HARD evidence of the destruction

Before everyone gets all mad at WotC UK, keep in mind, it may not be their choice to destroy the product. If they're not allowed to distribute it for "contractual reasons", it sounds to me as if they can't distribute the product in any fashion because they no longer have the lisence to the product - and, in theory, even giving extras away, could be against the law. So, basically, it could be Nintendo/TPC preventing these goodies from getting out.

Yeah, I agree with UncleBob here. Wizards, well, at least the MTs, were more or less good about giving things away and acting in the players' interest. I don't know what Nintendo's approach is towards the players individually yet, but just judging from impressions, I'd place the fault more on Nintendo here.

As a business point, Nintendo most likely will not want the stuff given away, but who knows? If there's enough time between now and when the stuff has to be gone, there's a *chance* of recovery, but still, don't hold your breath. :(

The question is not why don't they give it NOW, but why didn't they give it when they were allowed to !

Profs in the UK are asking for prize support for months, and all they've got since May or June has come from the USA and the MT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back