Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Create a Set: Disney's Aladdin

dkates

I think this is the first time I've ever had two sets going at once, but I just couldn't let go of this idea. As the thread title indicates, this set will be based on Disney's Aladdin movies and animated series. As usual, I'm doing it Gym-style -- I'll name the owners and give themes, you all take it from there.

- Aladdin, the streetrat hero, gets the starter Pokemon from all of the Game Boy and GBA games -- including the Pikachu line and the Eevee line.
- Jafar, the evil vizier -- and later, vengeful genie -- gets Psychic Pokemon and reptilian Pokemon.
- Iago, the wisecracking turncoat parrot, gets non-Legendary Flying-types. Note the italicized phrase, please.
- Mirage, the female feline illusionist, gets feline Pokemon (Suicune, Raikou, and Entei do not count, nor does the Eevee line) and any Pokemon that can learn Transform, Mimic, or Mirror Move by level up or egg move. She also gets Kecleon and Castform.
- Mechanicles, "greatest of the great Greek geniuses," not to mention neat freak, gets a theme I've used a couple of times before -- Steel-types and Electric-types.
- Sadira, streetrat and Witch of the Sand, gets Ground-types, the Tyranitar line, and any Pokemon with the Sand Veil ability.
- Celine, the water elemental, gets any Pokemon that can be found by fishing, surfing, or diving. Lugia is not considered valid for Celine.
- Genie, the fun-loving blue wishgranter, gets Ghosts. Try to have fun with this guy -- don't go Imakuni? on me, but don't be too serious either. The following Pokemon are also considered to be on-theme for Genie: Lickitung, Smeargle, Sudowoodo, Aipom, Girafarig, Wynaut, Wobbuffet, Dunsparce, Shuckle, Delibird, Smeargle, Nosepass, Gligar, Chimecho, Farfetch'd, Tangela, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Sunkern, Sunflora, Mantine, Mawile, Spinda, Magikarp, Gyarados, Feebas, Milotic, and Luvdisc.
- Jasmine, the resident princess, gets royal Pokemon. This includes both the "semi-legendary" Pokemon, like Arcanine and Dragonite, and any Pokemon with "King" or "Queen" in the name. The full list of Pokemon that fit Jasmine's theme is below. Note that Slaking doesn't count.
- The Sultan, Jasmine's father and ruler of Agrabah, gets Pokemon that are over 50% male. This includes both mostly-male lines like Togetic, and all-male Pokemon like Tauros.
- Abu, the clever little monkey thief, gets monkey-like Pokemon, Pokemon with the Pick Up ability (and ones related to them by evolution), and Pokemon that learn Thief, Covet, or Trick by a method other than TM.

And now, the rules.
- If a Pokemon fits more than one character's theme, it's legal for all the characters whose themes it fits.
- I do not want to see cards of the same Pokemon for different characters that are designed specifically to work with or against each other -- Aladdin's Espeon and Jafar's Espeon should not have any specific interaction with each other, for example, even though it would make sense thematically.
- Please do not go off-theme -- though if a Pokemon qualifies for a character, that means the rest of its evolution line does, too. The one exception is the Eevee line. If a particular Eeveelution qualifies for a character (such as Espeon for Jafar), you may not make cards of the other Eeveelutions for that character. All of the Eeveelutions qualify for Aladdin by the definition of his theme.
- I will want Trainers and Special Energy cards. If any Special Energy cards are made for specific characters, then every character should get a Special Energy card. The Trainers may or may not specifically reference a specific owner -- creator's choice. Just make sure the Trainers have some connection to the set theme.
- Illegal mechanics (such as switching control of a card to the other player, or changing the number of Active Pokémon) are strictly forbidden.
- Ultima types, Pokémon DS, Pokémon SP, and other Pokémon mechanics that are unique to this (or any other) CaC forum are also strictly forbidden.
- The Baby Rule is strictly forbidden.
- I do not want to see any cards specifically designed to work against mechanics such as Colorless Dragons or the Baby Evolution Poke-Power. As far as I am concerned, those things are part of the game.
- No 4th-generation Pokémon.
- Legendaries are fine, as long as they fit the owner's theme, except where otherwise noted.
- Try to keep the cards balanced and easy to understand. I don't want to stifle creativity, but being creative doesn't require a card to be complicated or broken. If there are serious issues in this department, I will notify the card creator by PM and/or post. Also, be as clear as possible in your card-posting format.
- Multiple versions of a Pokémon are fine. Multiple versions of a Trainer are not. If you post a Trainer with the same name as one that's already posted, then simply change the name.
- I will be asking for Pokemon-ex and Pokemon * eventually, but do not post any yet. Wait until I make a post establishing the rules for them.
- You're welcome to propose additional owners, but do not post cards for an owner not listed here until I have posted to give the ok. When I ok an owner, I will also edit that owner's info into the top section.

Here is the full list of Pokemon that fit Jasmine's theme. If you feel I've missed a Pokemon that belongs on this list, PM me, post, or contact me on AIM and suggest it, explaining why you think it fits. I prefer a PM or AIM so that the thread doesn't get clogged up.
- Snorlax
- Porygon
- Jynx
- Mr. Mime
- Lickitung
- Togepi/Togetic
- Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite
- Growlite/Arcanine
- Omanyte/Omastar
- Kabuto/Kabutops
- Aerodactyl
- Lileep/Cradily
- Anorith/Armaldo
- Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable
- Tyrogue/Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop
- Chansey/Blissey
- Pinsir
- Scyther/Scizor
- Kangaskhan
- Tauros
- Ditto
- Sudowoodo
- Lapras
- Magmar
- Electabuzz
- Krabby/Kingler
- Nidoran [male]/Nidorino/Nidoking
- Nidoran [female]/Nidorina/Nidoqueen
- Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking
- Goldeen/Seaking
- Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra

That everything? I think so. If you have any questions, please ask. Other than that, get to creating, and have fun!

Last edited:
Didn't forget them, I just couldn't think of good themes for them. The monkey's name is Abu, just so you know. Any ideas on themes for those three?

Genie -- I see where you got that. OK, and since he's... well, Genie, card creators will hopefully be able to get a little silly with 'em.
Jasmine -- I don't want to do the female theme again, so I'll probably go with "royal" Pokemon, if I can figure out what the heck that means (other than the Nidos).
Abu -- There's a lot of those -- too vague. I think I'll leave out Abu -- although Trainers featuring him are fine.

EDIT: Getting slightly spammish, aren't we? :wink:

Last edited:
for royal pokemon, I was kind of getting at the nidos as well as semi-legendary pokemon(such as arcanine), stuff like that...Maybe Kingdra and Kingler and that stuff with King in it's name...

OK, that works. Now, before we get to Page 2, want to contribute some cards? :wink:

Last edited:
Okay

I'll contribute a card!

Jafar's Mr. Mime
50 HP (P)
Basic Pokemon

Poke-BODY: Evil Shield
As long as you have at least 5 Pokemon in play with Jafar in their name's, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Jafar's Mr. Mime.

(P)(C) Vizier Slap 10+
This attack does 10 damage plus 10 more damage for each damage counter on the Defending Pokemon.

Weakness: (D)
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: (C)

Hope its okay!

Last edited:
Iago's Murkrow
Basic (D) Pokemon
60hp

(Poke-Body)-Dual Armor
As long as Iago's Murkrow is your Active Pokemon, Iago's Murkrow is treated as (D)(C).

(D) Feint Attack
Choose up to 3 of your opponent's Benched Poekmon. This attack does 10 damage to each of them(don't apply Weakness and Resistance for this attack).

(C)(C)(C) Iago Flock(10x)
This attack does 10 times the number of Pokemon with Iago in their names in play.

Weakness(L)
Resistance(P)
Retreat Cost(C)

Last edited:
Okay

dkates, I changed it to 5 so all your Pokemon have to be Jafar, and at least one isn't a Jafar's Mr. Mime. Is that still too broken? Anyways-

Jafar's Jynx
70 HP (P)
Basic Pokemon

(P) Dark Slap 10
Flip a coin. If heads, treat Jafar's Jynx as a (D) type Pokemon until the end of your next turn.

(P)(P)(C) Desert-kinesis 40
Place 1 damage counter on 2 of your opponent's Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: (R)
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: (C)(C)

Note- I made the weakness to fire because it didn't make sense for an evil Jafar Pokemon have weakness to (D), but if anyone feels as if it should be (D) I'll change it.

I'll throw a character suggestion:

The Sultan:
Ruler of Agrabah, Jasmine's father
Possible Theme: You know how Starfire's theme (Teen Titans set) is Pokémon that are more than 50% female? Well, I think that Sultan's theme should be Pokémon that are more than 50% male. That is, mostly-male Pokémon such as Arcanine (75%) or Togetic (87.5%), as well as male-only Pokémon such as Tauros (100%). Yes, the male figure for Togetic IS right, it's a figure shared by Togetic, Snorlax, and all GB[A] starters except Pikachu, even if they don't look it (Chikorita, anyone?).

You don't have to take it, just an interesting suggestion.

Well, it's definitely interesting. Eh, why not? OK, the Sultan is in, with Carrington's suggested theme.

Sultan's Nidoran♂
50 HP {G}
Basic Pokémon

{C}{C} Horn Attack 20

Weakness: {P}
Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: {C}

Sultan's Nidorino
80 HP {G}
Stage 1 Pokémon (Evolves from Sultan's Nidoran♂ )

{C}{C} Scratch 20
{G}{G}{G} Vizier Chase If the Defending Pokémon has Jafar in its name, this attack does 40 damage plus 30 more damage. 40+

Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: {C}

Sultan's Nidoking
120 HP {G}
Stage 2 Pokémon (Evolves from Sultan's Nidorino)

Poké-POWER Royal Combo
If you have both Sultan's Nidoking and either Jasmine's Nidoqueen or Jasmine's Nidoking in play and Sultan's Nidoking isn't affected by a Special Condition, Sultan's Nidoking cannot have any special counters (ex. Char, Coloring) placed on it.
{F}{F}{F} Treasure Quake Choose a Trainer card from your discard pile. Show that card to your opponent and put it into your hand. 30
{G}{G}{G}{C} Hyper Sludge This attack does 50 damage plus 10 more damage for each {G} Energy card attached to Sultan's Nidoking but not used to pay for this attack's Energy cost. You can't add more than 20 damage in this way. 50+

Resistance: {L}
Retreat Cost: {C}{C}{C}

Glad you decided to join us, Carrington. Well, about time I contributed some cards.

Jafar's Vengeance
Supporter

You can only have one Jafar's Vengeance in your deck.

You can't play this card unless one of your Active Pokemon has Jafar in its name. Flip a coin. If heads, choose one of your opponent's Active Pokemon and put damage counters on that Pokemon until it has 10 HP remaining. Either way, your turn ends immediately (you don't get to attack).

Magic Carpet
Supporter

Choose one of you or your opponent's Benched Pokemon. Return that Pokemon and all cards attached to it to its owner's hand.

Sadira's Sand Magic
Supporter

You can't play this card if your Bench is full. Search your deck for a Pokemon with Sadira in its name and put it onto your Bench. If you chose a Stage 1 Pokemon in this way, that Pokemon's maximum HP is decreased by 20. If you chose a Stage 2 Pokemon in this way, that Pokemon's maximum HP is decreased by 30.

Iago's Advice
Supporter

Draw a number of cards equal to the number of you opponent's Pokemon in play. Then put that many damage counters on your active Pokemon

Aladdin's Run
Supporter

Search your deck for four different cards, then put them face down in front of you. Your opponent chooses two of the face-down cards. Flip those cards face-up, and put them in your discard pile. Put the two remaining face-down cards into your hand.

Last edited:
I like. Iago's Advice is powerful without being overpowered (and has some interesting combo potential), and Aladdin's Run is a rather interesting take on Painful Choice (for those of you who play Yu-Gi-Oh). Well, might as well add some more cards. BTW, if I do make a card that's overly unbalanced or unclear, please let me know (preferably by PM).

Mirage
Supporter

Your opponent shuffles his or her hand into his or her deck and draws a number of cards equal to the number of cards in your hand.

Mechanicles
Supporter

Until the end of your next turn, the Retreat Costs and attack costs of all of your Pokemon in play with Mechanicles in their name are decreased by (C).

Iago
Supporter

Flip a coin for each of your Pokemon in play with Iago in their names. For each heads, search your deck for a card and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

OK, here's some more cards.

Abu's Theivery
Supporter

Flip a number of coins equal to the number of Energy cards attached to the Defending Pokemon. For each heads, discard an Energy card attached to the Defending Pokemon, search your deck for a Basic Energy card and attach it to one of your Benched Pokemon. All Basic Energy cards attached in this way must be attached to the same Pokemon.

That last sentence may actually be unneeded, but since this is a rather odd effect, I figured it needed that kind of clarification. Flippy though it is, I think it should be pretty obvious why it's a Supporter.

Sands of Time
Trainer

You can only have one Sands of Time in your deck.

Flip a coin. If heads, skip your opponent's next turn. If tails, skip your next turn.

To my knowledge, this mechanic's never been done before, but I think this is a pretty balanced version of it.

Jafar's Magic Lamp
Pokemon Tool

You can only have one Jafar's Magic Lamp in your deck.

Attach Jafar's Magic Lamp to one of your Pokemon in play with Jafar in its name (excluding Pokemon-ex) that does not already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it. If the Pokemon Jafar's Magic Lamp is attached to does not have Jafar in its name or is a Pokemon-ex, discard Jafar's Magic Lamp.

The maximum HP of the Pokemon Jafar's Magic Lamp is attached to is doubled. If Jafar's Magic Lamp is removed from the field, the Pokemon Jafar's Magic Lamp was attached to is now Knocked Out.

Genie's Magic Lamp
Pokemon Tool

You can only have one Genie's Magic Lamp in your deck.

Attach Genie's Magic Lamp to one of your Pokemon in play with Genie in its name (excluding Pokemon-ex) that does not already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it. If the Pokemon Genie's Magic Lamp is attached to does not have Genie in its name or is a Pokemon-ex, discard Genie's Magic Lamp.

The maximum HP of the Pokemon Genie's Magic Lamp is attached to is doubled. If Genie's Magic Lamp is removed from the field, the Pokemon Genie's Magic Lamp was attached to is now Knocked Out.

I know, they're clones -- but the concept does make sense for both of them. Very powerful effect, but the 1-per-deck drawback and the drawback within the text should balance it out.

Last edited:
OK, it's done. Now, time to add a few more cards.

Jafar
Supporter

You can't play this card unless one of your Pokemon has Jafar in its name and is not a Pokemon-ex. Choose a Special Condition. The Defending Pokemon (both if there are 2) is now affected by that Special Condition.

Celine
Supporter

Until the end of your opponent's next turn, ignore all damage done to Pokemon with Celine in their names by attacks. All other effects of attacks still happen.

Genie
Supporter

Search your deck for a Basic Pokemon or Evolution card (excluding Pokemon-ex), a Basic Energy card, and a Trainer card (excluding Supporters), show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Ignore all damage done to your opponent's Pokemon by attacks until the end of your opponent's next turn.

Silly drawback, ain't it?

Time I added a couple more cards.

Agrabah Palace
Stadium

Whenever a Pokemon with Jafar, Sultan, Jasmine, or Iago in its name does damage with an attack, that attack does 10 more damage (after applying Weakness and Resistance). This does not include damage done to Benched Pokemon.

Agrabah Marketplace
Stadium

The Retreat Costs of all Pokemon in play with Aladdin, Abu, or Sadira in their names are reduced by CC.

Stadiums are still going to be needed to support Celine, Mechanicles, and Mirage. I don't think it'd make sense for any of them to be lumped together, though you're welcome to prove me wrong if you can.

Last edited:
Back