Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cursegar VS. Magnezone engine?

With all the Water decks showing up I was looking for techs or decks to play against them. I played against someone that had a really good Magnezone deck that switched out with Spiritomb during the attack. Much like Cursegar. Would the engine that drives these decks be the same?

I'm guessing so, though you can also get set up a lot quick because of DCE. Though remember that your opponent has to switch too.

Even though you would be faster than cursegar, cursegar has the advantage of spread which can get multiple prizes on the last turn and also it also has gengar sf which can take a couple prizes. Not to mention you need a lukario gl in play to kill a gyrados.

though with magnezone, you'll have the searching one, the energy bring-backing one, and soon enough (probs the Nov. set), we'll have the drawing one.

Sherman but I have also seen it at Houston Regionals. I played a Magnezone deck no where near like these.. I have been trying to make use of these cards for about two years now but can't get it to work.

It's actually harder to build Zone than it is to build Gengar IMHO.

First Zone's energy lines are far more complex and it likes DCE. I've actually tried it without call. It can go either way.

Second Zone really likes some sort of discard ability which Gengar doesn't really need. You can try Lunatone, Felicity's, and such, but these take up spaces that aren't used in a Gengar deck.

Finally Magneazone has 5 different versions. Personally I like like the SF Lighting one and the DP Free retreat metal one ... this latter let's you get by without the Unown Q and Moonlights that many Gengars run & thus saves you space. The Promo 44 Zone is also really wicked.

Zone also lends itself to some techs like Manectric, Luxray GL, ERL, and such that don't fit in Gengar very well. Still it's hard to fit all that in.

Magnezone's recovery and overall flexibility are much better, though. When was the last time you saw Cursegar attach 3 Energy in one turn?

with magnizone lvx and dp magnizone you can switch into ANY tech, including mewtew lvx. just a thought

I like building Magnezone like a Beedrill deck with 2 metal SF , 1 LvX, and 1 SF lightening. The techs get pulled out whenever you need them and cosmic powering in pokes are not an issue. The SF metal Zone freakin LOVES pokemon communication too! It's a VERY pokepower dependant deck though. You need to deck a more than 1 Palmers because that SF Lightening Zone is YOUR MONEY card in that deck!

The problem with Magnezone is the 4-card-rule. I played some mixed versions with 3 different zones + Lv.X, but if you want a Cursegar-like deck you'd have to run 2 SF lightning Magnezone.

What I found out is that the SF metal Magnezone works really great with Manectric and Entei & Raikou Legend tech. It's impressive how this tech combo eats decks like Jumpluff alive - most times taking 3-4 prizes with one attack for game. With Magnezones powers and a Bebe it's not problem to pull it out for suprise and get the energy attached the same turn.

But everyhing has a downside - the reason why most players run Cursegar over Magnezone is the Luxchomp matchup. Not only that Magnezone has problems running anti-cards like Mewtwo and doesn't have stuff like Poltergeist, doing 80 and making the opponent switch even helps Luxchomp. Plus, Luxray has metal resistance which prevents the DP Magnezone from dealing some OHKOs.

As I mentioned today at BR, 2 Search is very needed also a 1-1 or 2-2 Manectric for Bench Protection and then you can run Entei Raikou Legend as it is Searchable with Magnetic Search and can balance the Multiple Prize situation that Gengar does.

2 Sf metal
2 sf electric
The Lv.X is too good to not run it.

When Magnezone Prime releases I'd run:

1 SF lightning
1 SF metal
1 Prime
1 Lv.X

And mass Judge to counter the metagame. ;)
Unfortunally, we won't get it until Cities. =(

1 Metal, 2 Lightning, 1 X as stands, but when the prime comes out and we lose Engines I might have to rehash the deck. I don't really like running 1 of's on all 4 Zone...

I personally prefer the metal SF one for its deck searching power, which helps the deck need less claydol, and increase bench space. The lightning SF is only for switching/energy acceleration, which, IMO, is better than the lv. X, for energy manipulation-unless you are running blissy prime :) who is cool as well..lol

That's why I prefer 2-2 of those two, to increase my consistency in grabbing them faster. Poor Magnezone, he got a bunch of really cool cards, but it is too hard to make one solid deck with them..lol

Back