Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Death of pokemon

Magic_Umbreon

Researching Tower Scientist, Retired
As the release of diamond and pearl dawn on us, the question arises: will these be the last pokemon games? If the pokemon games stop, surely the cards and TV etc. will follow. How many pokemon are they going to make, 500 is more than enough. Would a new pokemon game after diamond and pearl be fresh or profitable? What do you think, when do you predict the death of pokemon? For the majority of people pokemon died after the base set, will Nintendo continue to such a small audience?

"For the majority of people pokemon died after the base set, will Nintendo continue to such a small audience? "...uhhhh, no; speak for yourself instead of making ridiculous statements like this please.

If Pokemon 'died' for YOU after Base Set that's one thing; to claim that it did for most people is your opinion only and not a fact...not to mention the 'small audience' claim. Seen the sales figures for D/P in Japan so far?

D/P isn't even OUT yet in English, and you're claiming the game is 'dead'? Seems I heard this before back when NEO block came out, and then again when Ruby and Sapphire were released...=/

Why would you even want to predict the 'death' of the game, anyway?

JMHO,
'mom

People once thought RuSa was going to be the last generation. Now they're thinking DiaPer is going to be?

When Ruby and Sapphire were announced, Pokemon made a huge comeback in the area where I live. And I've noticed that D/P are gaining a ton of attention as well. I think all the new players is what will keep pokemon going.

DP is like the fastest selling (Pokemon) game in Japan. It sold over a million copies combined week one. :\ There is apparently another Pokemon game already in the works (no clue if it will be a spin off or not; some people think it will be a DS G/S remake). Pokemon is quite a healthy franchise. Mario probably has a better chance of dying off before Pokemon.

Pokemon is the 2nd best selling franchise of Nintendo, D/P sold faster than Red/Blue and everything points to a growth in Pokemon, why would they cut such a tremendous source of income?

I think you are completely mistaken. I 100% agree with Pablo.

Here is the deal, Most of the ppl who played pokemon left around TR when the fad died. Same thing happens to all fads. Secondly The Pokemon Games are good because they are addictive and fun and that is why they will continue to make them for a long time. I expect a new generation sometime in 2010 imo,

Drew

lol Pokemon dead? won't happen for a LONG while. even if this WAS the last generation...there's still plenty of room for new games, series, lands, cards etc etc

Think of it as either Super Mario or Legend of Zelda. It's the same kind of popularity as either one of those two. Disagree with me or not, but it's true. Pokemon is still popular in most areas.

Pokemon is far from gone since they going to do what people wanted for years.

World wide competitive battling system. DS going online now through wireless connection to compete is something people longed for for years.

Pokemon revolution now being able to go online as well, while I dont think its going to be a popular online idea, its going online also if you want that 3D action.

Their was only one time Pokemon nearly took the death roll and that was about the time yugioh came out, and WOTC was sitting on their arse with the game doing nothing to the point it was dead. At this time was a while after Ruby/Sapphire came out I think it was.

I don't certainly think that there is a "pokemon craze" like there use to be in the 90's, but pokemon is very much still alive and well (the sales numbers of D/P in Japan have been well and one could expect for D/P in America to do great as well). With the addition to online trading and battling, I'm sure this will generate a great fan base connection; I am excited to actually connect with others around the world, I'm not fully aware of how much communication there will be but the fact that we can all connect and meet up for trades and battles is something I have always wanted to do.
There's still alot of other games coming up for pokemon, like the US release of Pokemon battle revolution on Wii, which only makes D/P gameplay a whole lot more exciting and Coro-Coro magazine in Japan is going to reveal a new pokemon game in development. Add that on top of the new D/P set and the mystery of the lake set in Japan, we really only begun to see what the new generation of pokemon has in store. If that doesn't say that the pokemon franchise is still going strong, I don't know what else too say.

CMT

Always remember -

Pokémon don't die, they only get Knocked Out!

What Happened to Latios in Movie 5?
What Happened to Lucario in Movie 8?
Why are there pokemon graveyards in Lavender town and Mt Pyre?
What Happened to Marowak in the game the mother of Cubone that Team Rocket Killed?

Always remember -

Pokémon don't die, they only get Knocked Out!
lol

Magic_Umbreon said:
when do you predict the death of pokemon?
You may as well be asking when do we predict the death of classical music. It will ebb and flow in popularity, but die?

SD PokéMom said:
"For the majority of people pokemon died after the base set, will Nintendo continue to such a small audience? "...uhhhh, no; speak for yourself instead of making ridiculous statements like this please.

If Pokemon 'died' for YOU after Base Set that's one thing; to claim that it did for most people is your opinion only and not a fact...not to mention the 'small audience' claim. Seen the sales figures for D/P in Japan so far?

D/P isn't even OUT yet in English, and you're claiming the game is 'dead'? Seems I heard this before back when NEO block came out, and then again when Ruby and Sapphire were released...=/
The sky is falling all the time!
So, when was the last time a new set was about to be released and there weren't a few wet blankets telling us the game will fall apart? I'm having trouble remembering....

At least some of us here can just see that it's history repeating itself.:smile:

Back