Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

does pokemon have the same problems as yugioh with cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

yugioh duelist

ok today in the yugioh world was shonnen jump seattle and the defending sjc champ of tulsa from last week was caught stacking in the semi-finals and was dq'd and will probably be banned in the next few weeks does pokemon have the same problems,

ps: he was undefeated for 2 straight sjc events until this

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Judge, I have never seen a player cheat. I've heard of cheating, but those cases are very rare, and only tend to happen maybe a couple of times in each tournament cycle in total around the world. I won't say that no cheating goes on in this game, that would be ignorant. I just feel that the cheating is minimized to a great extent both by the rules and by the Staff in general.

It is rare, but those that have been caught have gotten mulit-year suspensions, not a little slap on the wrist.

I'm actually quite glad that the Pokémon TCG has little cheating done, truthfully. That makes it that much funner for those of us who do play by the rules. We don't have to worry.

I"m also glad that when cheating is found, it's quite harsh in consequences. That lets others know how serious this is taken. It's nothing to take lightly.

Gibby

It did in the beginning (I was cheated several times by older players), but its such a rare occurence.

In all honesty, unlike Yu-Gi-Oh where there is quite some expensive prizes to be won, there isn't much incentive to cheat in Pokemon in the first place since it isn't worth it. As well as Pokemon players in general having more integrity than YGO or something.

I learned today how easy it is to cheat in yugioh....
the problem is that most yugioh people dont like to cut.. all the yugi players admitted they cheat too

In all honesty, unlike Yu-Gi-Oh where there is quite some expensive prizes to be won, there isn't much incentive to cheat in Pokemon in the first place since it isn't worth it. As well as Pokemon players in general having more integrity than YGO or something.

Have you ever been to a Pokemon Regional or National championship or Worlds? We have plenty valuable prizes to win AND more people have a chance to win them since we have 3 age divisions.

Pokemon players are trained from day1 to cut your opponents deck or even shuffle it themselves if they want before a match starts.

Sounds like Yugi players set themselves up to be cheated by not protecting themselves from such shennagins.

It happens (I have first-hand experience in knowing this, too), but it happens in every game. Heck, little idiots even try to cheat at chess.

Not really cheating,but if you wanna talk about Arrogant players and sometimes less respect for certain players,then pokemon has that and it shows at major tournaments.

It is rare, but those that have been caught have gotten mulit-year suspensions, not a little slap on the wrist.

I have been playing Pokemon as my main TCG game for the last 2 years. However, I am a certified Yu-Gi-Oh (6 years) and World Of Warcraft TCG judge (over 2 years) as well as a TO for UDE events and I can assure you, they get no "slap on the wrist" for cheating. The players get DQ'd then suspended for a couple of years, some are severe enough to get suspended for 10 years or more. The most severe can be banned for life, same as it is here in Pokemon. I do think some of the penalties for Yu-Gi-Oh, or all UDE games are not as severe as they should be (some can be hard to prove what the intent was), but I have seen some here in Pokemon that are more severe than they should be as well.

I just had to address the "slap on the wrist" comment though because it is simply not true, at least as it is related to this topic of cheating.

Z

Well, there are quite a few kids at my league who cheat and are notorious for doing so (I always notice), and I just hate playing them because of this (even though I usually win anyways :p), but whenever I see them at actual Premier events they don't cheat, possibly because of the penalties it has. So yes, cheating definately exists, it just isn't as common in an actual sanctioned event.

I have been playing Pokemon as my main TCG game for the last 2 years. However, I am a certified Yu-Gi-Oh (6 years) and World Of Warcraft TCG judge (over 2 years) as well as a TO for UDE events and I can assure you, they get no "slap on the wrist" for cheating. The players get DQ'd then suspended for a couple of years, some are severe enough to get suspended for 10 years or more. The most severe can be banned for life, same as it is here in Pokemon. I do think some of the penalties for Yu-Gi-Oh, or all UDE games are not as severe as they should be (some can be hard to prove what the intent was), but I have seen some here in Pokemon that are more severe than they should be as well.

I just had to address the "slap on the wrist" comment though because it is simply not true, at least as it is related to this topic of cheating.

Z

Glad to hear it.
I was basing it on the "suspended for a couple of weeks" comment from the original poster.

Well...I wouldn't say "cheating" happens, but sometimes people make honest mistakes by not thoroughly reading cards or forgetting a rule. An example of such would be, forgetting about small things like being unable to evolve as soon as coming into play or if they've evolved once already (that turn) or forgetting about "shuffling your hand into the deck" effect of some cards before drawing (ie: Cynthia's Feeling).

Plus, people in Pokemon try to run out the clock. Of course, I'm sure it's a bigger problem in YGO, as shown by this example of a conversation between two duelists:

"It's TIME . . . to d-d-d-d-d-d-duel!"
"I SUMMON . . . B-b-b-b-b-b-blue Eyes Wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-White D-d-d-d-d-d-ragon.
"I BLOCK . . . your s-s-s-s-s-s-spell"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back