Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dungeons & Dragons Players?

maddox23

Anyone else play? I got the starter set for X-Mas after playing it once or twice with some friends. It's fun, but I was just wondering if anyone else plays. I have a very base understanding of the game, but mostly because our DM sucks. Of course, it's not like any of us are serious throughout it. But I really like it.

Anywho, talk about it 'round here I guess.

Which version? I dislike 4.0 greatly. 3.5 ftw. I played seriously for almost a year, it's a blast with a bunch of good actors and gamers.

I've played 3.5 for a semester, and its been really fun except for a few issues. I rolled a Bard, focusing in long range damage and buffs (with Inspire Courage and stuff).

From what I've heard about 4.0 it seems like it would be better than 3.5, at least from what I've played and seen firsthand.

We power played so I guess that would make the experience different. Our stat rolls were absurd (roll 4d6 and take away the low roll - roll seven scores, change the very lowest to 18 and ignore the next lowest, do this up to three times per character and pick your favorite) so we always had ridiculously good characters haha.

I played 20 years ago, AD&D 2nd edition rules.

I had a great time playing during High School.

I would love to get back in, but I need to update my rules knowledge just a bit.

I used to mainly play, but I did DM a little bit.

Good times!

We power played so I guess that would make the experience different. Our stat rolls were absurd (roll 4d6 and take away the low roll - roll seven scores, change the very lowest to 18 and ignore the next lowest, do this up to three times per character and pick your favorite) so we always had ridiculously good characters haha.

We had some filters as well, but not that ridiculously:

Roll 4d6, drop lowest roll. (x6)

If any of those were below 10, you got ONE reroll on that set, per set. If it was still below a 10 after the reroll, then you took a 10.

That sounds like standard 3.5 honestly, though my memory may be a little tainted.

I remember I had a character that was like 18 18 18 16 15 16. Boy she was cool.

Our most experienced player's character had four eighteens the first time we played...

I've only dabbled, but I generally don't like power-gaming, or basically playing a worse version of a video game, and I find that it's more difficult to find a roleplay/character-oriented group.

Ive really been wanting to get into the game. Some of my friends actually started a game a while back, but Ive never been able to find time to get in on it.

I have played quite a bit for the last 5 years.
I played for 3 years, DM for 1, and then played again. 3.5 House rules is what i play.

By house rules, the common rule is you buy the group food - you "Randomly" find stuff. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.
We also take some older feats/abilities/etc from 2.0 and amend them to 3.5.

Current character is level 7 Kensai (Base Fighter Variant-Dragon 310-p36)/ level 1 kensai (Prestige-Complete warrior-p49)

Some other characters i have played were Monk/Vow of poverty, Combat Gardener, True Cleric, and Sniping Shadow dancer. One i have wanted to play is the Planar shepherd. Google it.

I played since the 70’s. I’ve seen editions come and go.

Long story short I largely gave up on it in the 90’s and played other game systems. I got brought back into it with 3.5 which really wasn’t bad at all. I played with a lot of other successful adults. We had a banker, a web page editor for the local paper, a manager at a security firm, and more. I actually stopped playing largely because of Pokemon. Didn’t have time for both and Pokemon was a family thing.

When 4.0 came out I bought a few books … played a test game with my old friends … and then bowed out for a while. I really liked some of the things they did with 4.0. Warlord for instance was brilliant. I loved it that every class could “do something cool” in combat.

Not too long ago I bought a few of the newer 4.0 books and started running an on again off again game for my family. The kids had great memories of my friends coming over and wanted to give it a try. We had fun but the youngest one wasn’t into it as much as the older one so we didn’t make it a regular thing.

I honestly really dislike where 4.0 is headed with the newest books. I felt that there was no need to make Psionic classes different than everyone else in the Player’s Handbook 3. I hate the new variants like the Slayer from the new softbacks. It’s an unneeded departure from what really worked well in 4.0. The 4.0 system wasn't perfect by any means, but it feels to me like the developers are trying to stretch the system kind of like they did at the end of 3.5 … but in doing so are making 4.0 less fun where the new stuff made 3.5 more fun.

Anyone still playing 3.5 I can’t highly recommend the Book of Swords supplement enough. This was really the book that was half way between 3.5 and 4.0 … and got a lot of stuff really right.

For my part I’m going on hiatus again. I dislike the new stuff strongly enough that I think that I’m going to wait until the next edition whenever that is.

@vanderbilt_grad - I believe a lot of the diehard gamers prefer 3.5 over 4.0 for the reasons you gave. Every group i see at local shops and the university's play 3.5.

3.5 is in my mind the best medium for new players and expert players alike.

BTW - as a DM, try throwing a juggernaut at your players around level 8-10 and see what they can do. Very fun to see new players try to fight those things. (Monster Manual 2)

Last edited:
I played 20 years ago, AD&D 2nd edition rules.

I had a great time playing during High School.

I would love to get back in, but I need to update my rules knowledge just a bit.

I used to mainly play, but I did DM a little bit.

Good times!

I havent played in almost 30 yrs.....original version baby! I recently found some of my old books, dungeons and character sheets in an old box. (Actually, my mom found the box and sent it home with me).

Keith

I'd like to learn how to play sometime, but I don't really have any friends who are interested.

@vanderbilt_grad - I believe a lot of the diehard gamers prefer 3.5 over 4.0 for the reasons you gave. Every group i see at local shops and the university's play 3.5.

3.5 is in my mind the best medium for new players and expert players alike.

Hmm. I actually think that 4.0 is the better game in several ways.

It is actually fun to play a 1st level character of any class in 4.0 for instance. In 3.5 1st level is a pain & we usually just started somewhere between 3rd & 5th level instead.

In 3.5 low level Wizards are lame ... but as they level they swiftly overpower the melee based classes most of the time. In 4.0 I would say that there is better balance over all levels for all classes though the "controllers" like the Wizard are probably a bit weaker than they need to be.

In 4.0 everyone can shine in combat and out of it. In 3.5 you have "combat" classes like the Fighter who fight well but don't do anything special outside of combat. Rogues on the other hand are amazing out of combat but are glass cannons in a fight who get taken out with ease.

In 3.5 spellcasting classes have amazing in game flexibility ... and are able to change their spells to suit a given adventure. They have powers that have both combat and non-combat utility. Non-casting classes have their most flexible choices only when they are leveling up. In 4.0 everyone has options during in game play.

Like I said ... I think that 4.0 did a lot of stuff right and this is coming from someone who played for years.

On the other hand 3.5 is much closer to the games origins and is still fun. You can have some character concept builds in 3.5 that you simply can't do in 4.0. 3.5 is still a very playable system and I had lots of fun in the games where I played using it. I'm also a huge psionics fan and think that 3.5 did a better job with that system than 4.0 did.

The issue I have currently with 4.0 is that they are moving away from the stuff that really made the game innovative and interesting. Ironically I think that some of the changes are being made specifically to appeal to the folks that didn't make the transition from 3.5.

I'm also pretty irked at the changes being made to the character builder program and some other external stuff. At this point I'm mostly angry with the folks in charge of DnD and don't feel much need to support them at all. I have all the books and other stuff I need if I really want to play again. I'm just holding off on all new purchases until I feel like they've gotten their act together again.

I've always been interested in D&D, I've just never gotten around to playing because I know I'll be the youngest one in the group by far and it will be very awkward.

I've always been interested in D&D, I've just never gotten around to playing because I know I'll be the youngest one in the group by far and it will be very awkward.

You would be surprised at how many groups will WELCOME newbies.

New players do the following:
  1. Grow the game. Sure there is a learning period, but the time invested generally bring more play and fun for the group.
  2. Brings a fresh view of the game. Some veteran players get into a groove of certain habits (Kill/burn everything, looting, same old) and a new person may ask questions like "Can i use player XXX as a spring board?" and other situations that veterans just may not think of.
  3. Get new friend(s). When you spend so much time with these people, you eat/play/and interact a lot, and with that friendships grow. That is how i met one of my past girlfriends - i got to know her outside of D&D and we were together for well over a year (Until she went to collage out of state).

Be sure that the group you are thinking about joining does not have a "Reputation" in the gaming community. Some Dungeon Masters/Players get overzealous and sometimes strong-arm new players in certain situations (Intentionally or not). But all in all, a vast majority (+95%) are very good with teaching new players.

Also, every year - WotC does a "Worldwide D&D day". The whole goal is to bring in new players into the community. That may be something to look into.

Another thing i HIGHLY recommend is "Play unsafe - how improvising can change the way you roleplay." by Graham Walmsley

http://www.amazon.com/Play-Unsafe-Improvisation-Change-Roleplay/dp/1434824594

Back