Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

follow the bouncing sandwich

SailorClef

...Am I the only one who noticed the fact that they actually went so far as to EDIT OUT the rice balls in the last episode?

It was bad enough before when they called them "popcorn balls" or "doughnuts" but this is just taking it too far o_O
(and to think I thought they were coming around after they actually called them RICE BALLS in that one episode)

Cause you know.. god forbid children seeing Japanese foodstuffs on TV...cause...you know.. it might scar them for life.

but anyway, yeah, the one that was rolling down the hill was so obviously edited ... the sandwich looked like it was floating! (I kept waiting for it to say "DOLALALALALALALA!" >_>)

and then when they showed Team Rocket's rice ball (edited to a craker) it MAGICALLY CHANGED SIZES when Munchlax ate it >_>

*sigh* I missed last week's eps, due to the SD prerelease...

GAAAAAAHHHH!! *facepalm*

Maybe that's my problem, we eat teh ebul riceballs!!1! all the time...:rolleyes:

'mom

SailorClef said:
but anyway, yeah, the one that was rolling down the hill was so obviously edited ... the sandwich looked like it was floating! (I kept waiting for it to say "DOLALALALALALALA!" >_>)
Action Hot Dog attack the bouncing sandwich!

Oh come on. Do you really want our kids realizing that there are other cultures in this world?

Do you?

DO YOU?!?!

*sigh* 4kids obviously means "for people that can't comprehend new ideas."

Seriously, hear the audio commentaries for the earlier Pokémon movies. 4Kids takes cultural translation way too far, whether it's delaying the release of an episode for like a year just to edit out each and every Japanese sign (the Princess Day episode where Jessie gets her Lickitung), or editing out rice balls, or even giving Yoh Asakura a strange fascination with cheeseburgers while renaming an ancient Native American evil shaman to "Zeke" ("Oh no, run, it's Zeke!"—it just doesn't have the effect of "Hao"), they take the concept of making the cultural references easier for North American audiences by trying to kill off everything Japanese about the show.

Now, it's quite common knowledge that I'll defend dubbers more often than not, because quite frankly they have a thankless job that the average "otaku" will give them unending crap for because said "otakus" have impossibly high expectations of the dubs. 4Kids, though, really deserves this (and to a lesser extent Nelvana, but I don't know of anything they did besides Cardcaptor Sakura—it'd be lolz if they picked up Tsubasa Chronicle though).

It's just that 4Kids is utterly convinced that they're doing children a service by Americanizing the show beyond hope. That's the infuriating part—I can tolerate arbitrary dub changes due to bad translation or whatnot, but not when it's intentional and for the sake of "simplifying" the show. 4Kids needs a swift boot to the rear for being one of the few companies that I'd agree with the self-styled "otaku" as butchering a show.

I can count a minimum of 3 shows that have been butchered by 4Kids (PKMN, YGO, One Piece). Any more that I don't remember?

bullados said:
I can count a minimum of 3 shows that have been butchered by 4Kids (PKMN, YGO, One Piece). Any more that I don't remember?
Shaman King. Marril already pointed it out. Hao->Zeke atleast they didn't rename Yoh "Jedidiah" or something. ;/ I can't think of anything else they do right off hand, but if they do it, it's bound to be awful.

To be perfectly fair, Shaman King wasn't as butchered as Pokémon, but it was still a pretty bad dub. At least they kept some stuff un-Americanized (the shikigamis especially surprised me). Not the best I've seen, but nowhere near as butchered as Pokémon with its "donuts" and the like.

And, like I said, it's not so much waht they do, but why they do it—they think they're being great by changing everything to be more American, when all they're doing is needlessly changing things so kids don't get cultural exposure ("rice ball? What's that? I wanna try one!" vs "that's a weird-looking donut").

Marril said:
Seriously, hear the audio commentaries for the earlier Pokémon movies. 4Kids takes cultural translation way too far, whether it's delaying the release of an episode for like a year just to edit out each and every Japanese sign (the Princess Day episode where Jessie gets her Lickitung), or editing out rice balls, or even giving Yoh Asakura a strange fascination with cheeseburgers while renaming an ancient Native American evil shaman to "Zeke" ("Oh no, run, it's Zeke!"—it just doesn't have the effect of "Hao"), they take the concept of making the cultural references easier for North American audiences by trying to kill off everything Japanese about the show.

Now, it's quite common knowledge that I'll defend dubbers more often than not, because quite frankly they have a thankless job that the average "otaku" will give them unending crap for because said "otakus" have impossibly high expectations of the dubs. 4Kids, though, really deserves this (and to a lesser extent Nelvana, but I don't know of anything they did besides Cardcaptor Sakura—it'd be lolz if they picked up Tsubasa Chronicle though).

It's just that 4Kids is utterly convinced that they're doing children a service by Americanizing the show beyond hope. That's the infuriating part—I can tolerate arbitrary dub changes due to bad translation or whatnot, but not when it's intentional and for the sake of "simplifying" the show. 4Kids needs a swift boot to the rear for being one of the few companies that I'd agree with the self-styled "otaku" as butchering a show.
Marril said:
To be perfectly fair, Shaman King wasn't as butchered as Pokémon, but it was still a pretty bad dub. At least they kept some stuff un-Americanized (the shikigamis especially surprised me). Not the best I've seen, but nowhere near as butchered as Pokémon with its "donuts" and the like.

And, like I said, it's not so much waht they do, but why they do it—they think they're being great by changing everything to be more American, when all they're doing is needlessly changing things so kids don't get cultural exposure ("rice ball? What's that? I wanna try one!" vs "that's a weird-looking donut").
I totally agree with you. I can understand translations to a different language for the sake of ppl wanting to watch things in their native language, but 4kids is taking something very important from translations... cultural diversity. And this is comming from a company that(I'm guessing) USA gets most of it's dubs. And in USA where there's so much cultural diversity anyway, there's little to no reason to hide/change different cultures from any show.

another prime example of this scandal:eek:ne piece
in the second episode, a little girl gives zolo two ccokies to help him, but if you read the manga vol.1 , she gives him riceballs, and my mind is telling me,"what was that for?"

Alex said:
another prime example of this scandal:eek:ne piece
in the second episode, a little girl gives zolo two ccokies to help him, but if you read the manga vol.1 , she gives him riceballs, and my mind is telling me,"what was that for?"
Zoro.

same thing.

Shaman King was 4Kids? I thought Shoenn Jump was handling that dub and then selling the finished product to 4Kids to use on their show...

Professor_Chris said:
I hate 4Kids so much. What they do to anime should be illegal.
Personally, I think what they do to anime should be a sin, but I'm sure people would get mad at me for saying that...

SD_Pokemom said:
Maybe that's my problem, we eat teh ebul riceballs!!1! all the time...
Well, you know how America is....

Americanizing things to no end for no apparent reason...

My two cents,

AZ

Arthas_Zero said:
Personally, I think what they do to anime should be a sin, but I'm sure people would get mad at me for saying that...
Oh, I'm quite sure it has to be a sin. I just wish there were laws to stop it. ;p

Professor_Chris said:

I thought the r/l were interchangeable or something...

Anyway, I usually like to just give my support to dubs, but man, it is really hard to stop a leaf from catching fire when its branch douses it in oil over a volcano.

Psycho_Lugia_X said:
I thought the r/l were interchangeable or something...

Anyway, I usually like to just give my support to dubs, but man, it is really hard to stop a leaf from catching fire when its branch douses it in oil over a volcano.
They are, but sometimes it is obvious what the engrish word is supposed to be. It's quite obvious the name was intended to be Zoro. 4Kids is just stupid. :/

Changing Zoro to Zolo is something I don't mind. Think about it, a swordsman named Zoro, which phonetically is exactly the same as Zorro. I don't think that'd go over well in North America, a swordsman named Zoro when Zorro is pretty popular. :tongue:

Captain Chaser as well was amusing. A "chaser" is a shot of alcohol you have after a really nasty-tasting drink to "chase" down the taste. I think his original name was Captain Smoker or something? I can't remember.

I totally agree with you. I can understand translations to a different language for the sake of ppl wanting to watch things in their native language,

It's more than that. I mean, what average American knows the folk tales of Japan that commonly get called upon in animé? It makes it easier when you can follow the story without having to know obscure Japanese mythology—but there's a difference between changing a passing reference to a Kirin or whatnot (I consider rice balls to whatever "acceptable", by the way), but really, if it's major to the plot, then you shouldn't change it. Explain it, yes, but not change it.

I doubt very many people on this forum could tell me what a Guivre is (aside from the fact that it's French mythology) or what its weakness is without looking it up. Same thing with some of this Japanese mythology, really.

Edit: As well, one of the things that never gets good press are the Shinto scrolls used commonly by priests and priestesses (also commonly known as one of Sailor Mars' "attacks") to ward off demons. It's not like it'd hurt kids to get some exposure to other religions or anything.

Back