Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Garchomp/Altaria deck help

Status
Not open for further replies.

solo59486

Here is a Garchomp/Altaria list that i would like to run next season. I think that this list is very consistent.

Pokemon: 19
4x Gible
3x Gabite
4x Garchomp
3x Swablu
3x Altaria
2x Emolga

T/S/S: 29
4x Professor Juniper
4x N
3x Bianca
2x Random Receiver
4x Pokemon Catcher
3x Level Ball
3x Rare Candy
2x Super Rod
2x Switch
2x poke comm.

Energy:12
4x Blend Energy WFLM
8x Fighting Energy

The strategy here is to use emolgas call for family to get out two pokemon and put them on my bench. Then I set up a Gabite and use its ability that lets me grab a dragon pokemon and put it into my hand and use it to evolve into garchomp and altaria. I use altarias ability to let garchomp attack for a lot of damage with little energy.

Swablu – Colorless – HP40
Basic Pokemon

[C] Sing: The Defending Pokemon is now Asleep.
[C][C] Peck: 20 damage.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1

Altaria – Dragon – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Swablu

Ability: Battle Song
As long as this Pokemon is in play, your Dragon-type Pokemon’s attacks do an additional 20 damage to any Active Pokemon.

[W][M][C] Glide: 40 damage.

Weakness: Dragon (x2)
Resistance: none

Gible – Dragon – HP60
Basic Pokemon

[F] Sand Attack: If the Defending Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent’s next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.
[W][C] Knock Away: 10+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage.

Gabite – Dragon – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Gible

Ability: Dragon Call
Choose 1 Dragon-type Pokemon card from your deck, show it to your opponent, and put it in your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. You can use this Ability 1 time during your turn.

[W][F] Dragon Slice: 20 damage.

Garchomp – Dragon – HP140
Stage 2- Evolves from Gabite

[F] Sonic Cutter: 60 damage. Discard a Special Energy attached to the Defending Pokemon.
[W][F] Dragon Blade: 100 damage. Discard the top 2 cards from your deck.

Emolga-Lightning-HP70
Basic Pokemon
[C] Call For Family:Search your deck for two Basic Pokémon and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.
[L] Static Shock: 20 damage

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Reatreat: none

Blend Energy WLFM – Special Energy

This card provides 1 [C] Energy. As long as this card is attached to a Pokemon, it provides either [W], [L], [F], or [M] Energy, but only 1 Energy at a time.

Last edited:
I have been playing with this deck, personnally ive started calling it Gartaria, against my brother for the past month basing the deck around Yuta Komatsudas deck that took first in japan and playing different varients

I dont think you need 2 :water: energy at all as Garchomps first attack Sonic Cutter does 60 for :fighting: (doing 100 with 2 altaria on the bench) which is very good on its own, and gives you chance to set up another garchomp with just one energy attachment.
if you do need to set up Garchomp to do Dragon Blade for 100 (140 with 2 altaria on the bench) to get ohko's then blend energy fulfils this role perfectly well on its own.
to replace these 2 :water: energys i really do reccomend adding another Emolga just for added consistency and the Rayquaza from dragon selection. Rayquaza is great for donking weak basics which will be more common if stage 2s become playable, Rayquaza is searchable by both Emolgas call for family, Gabites Dragon call and by ultra ball, i found that switch is very important in this deck as people will be catchering out your basics and altaria on the becnch and paying a retreat cost of even one is painful if you could of set up another Garchomp

so -2 water energy
+1 emolga
+1 Rayquaza

and if you find you are having trouble with having Altarias being catchered out
-2 random reciever
+2 switch
but i found 2 is normaly enough

does anyone know if Altarias battle song effects its own attack so does 60 all the time?

-1 emolga

+1 water energy or one more fighting because some decks will run crushing hammer and that will mess your game up if they troll you with it so making a more rigid basic energy line because you do use garchomps second attack to slay ex's(which will be super duper prominent) so 3 emolga with all the searching support this deck does have;3 is just overkill and plus if it just sits on the bench its plain catcher bait and thats another reason why

Actually, I think the Emolga/Energy levels are fine. It's about what I have been using in my proxy deck also. You don't actually want to use three Emolga (in fact, you only want to use one). Having three just increases your chances of starting with one; the other two should never hit the bench.

As far as taking out EX Pokemon goes, with three Altaria you are maxing out at 160 damage. That's not enough to OHKO any of the big EXs, while two hits of Garchomp's single energy attack adds up to 240 (max) which is more than enough for a 2HKO, even with eviolite/cloak. The double energy attack is really only good if you need to take out something in the 130-140 HP range in one shot.

RM

very solid... personally im not a fan of rayquaza in here but thats just me, ive dropped it for another supporter/random receiver/tropical beach

I think there will be a few viable ways to play this deck so only through testing will you find the list that suits your play style the most. I will have to wait until the Dragon scans go online to try things out. My initial idea for this deck is slightly different than the above list.

4-3-4 Garchomp
3-3 Altaria
3 Emolga
1 Rayquaza

4 N
4 Juniper
2 Bianca
1 Cheren

4 catcher
3 Level ball
3 rare candy
2 tool scrapper
3 max potion
1 super rod
2 Large Cloak

7 fighting energy
3 blend energy

Obviously i will make small adjustments here and there. The aim of the build is to deny KOs. While you are using such small amounts of energy it's very easy to heal up your Garchomp and then begin attacking again the next turn. I'm not sure if the Large cloaks will be effective but i think they may help and would stop Rayquazas OHKO Altaria and it would boost the longevity of your Garchomps.

Don't play large cloak. Max pot.. ehhhh. If you want go the heal/tank route then max potion should be enough.
I don't see anything wrong with your origin list, however.

I run max potion in mine. It basically just buys you a single turn. Sometimes that's all you need. It's sad that Large Cloak is coming in the same set as Tool Scrapper. It might have been cool if you could count on it staying around.

RM

In this format tool scrapper will be played because it'll most likely be a dead card. Lists would have to run at least 3 for it to be effective otherwise it's a hit and run since junk arms are rotated. Running cards like rescue scarf would be effective since the moment you draw it, you can attach it.

About the communication over ultra ball is players preference, either you can save your pokemon from juniper or draw more cards with ultra ball from bianca. Player's preferences :]

Lastly, random receiver. I'm not so sure about this card either. I mean if you want to slim down your deck or just have a higher supporter count since there isn't any other good supports then fine. But the main reason why random receiver was played in the first place was because of junk arm.

Just my opinion :D your list is very similar to mines, hope you give me some advice from your testings too

You need at least 3, if not 4 Emolga. Starting with it is just too good. You also need max Level Ball, and I suggest bumping Swablu up to four. Your opponent WILL go after Altarias/Swabs first. Rare Candy is gonna be important in the mirror, I think. For that reason, max candy is something you should think about too, but that comes down more to personal preference.

Pokemon: 18
3x Gible*
1x Gabite*
3x Garchomp*
3x Swablu
3x Altaria
2x Terrakion EX
3x Emolga

T/S/S: 30
4x Professor Juniper
4x N
4x Bianca
4x Pokemon Catcher
4x Rare Candy
2x Super Rod
2x Switch*
4x Ultra Ball (fuel's Bianca)
2x Level Ball

Energy:12
4x Blend Energy WFLM
8x Fighting Energy*

Here's my take. A few things 4/3/4 line is way too heavy. Yes he's your main attacker but you already have so many tutors that you can get 2 out easily. You needed more basics. So upped Emolga and added in terrakion ex for those pesky darkrai and zekroms. As stated in many other places RR was only good with junk arm. If you were running sableye than I'd reconsider but obviously that's not going to happen. Ultra ball is really good at getting rid of garbage in your hand while tutoring and fueling Bianca. Rare candy should be a 4 of because your going to want to turn 2 garchomp as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back