Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar ex-voted as #1!?

Dro~

News from Pokemonzeo
Also in Japan, the official Trainer Website has tallied votes from readers and ranked the top three cards from Flight of Legend. Clocking in at number three was Clefable-ex, popular for its ease of use and utility in two-on-twos. At number two was one of the North American favorites, Articuno-ex. Voted number one was Gengar-ex, which has gained a large amount of popularity in Japan over the past short while.

Why do you think Gengar ex was voted as number one by the Japanese players? Are there some hidden strategies that we have yet to discover?

Last edited:
Maybe because it works good with Gorebyss....But then we will all probaly get the srtatgey...Like me!!!GENGAR RULES!!!

We really don't know who was polled. Remember the poll on the front of the main tcg site that asked us what our favorite card was? Alot of the time it was Mewtwo EX and stupid stuff. So, this could be like that, just be a poll taken on a site or something and not mean anything. OR, it could mean that there are alot of gengar decks in the japanese metagame at the present.

Prime said:
We really don't know who was polled. Remember the poll on the front of the main tcg site that asked us what our favorite card was? Alot of the time it was Mewtwo EX and stupid stuff. So, this could be like that, just be a poll taken on a site or something and not mean anything. OR, it could mean that there are alot of gengar decks in the japanese metagame at the present.

Thats prolly true. Here are the current things on the site

1) 97 - Rayquaza ex

2) 3 - Blaziken

3)93 - Latias ex ????????????????

4) 94 - Latios ex ???????????????

5) 3 - Team Aqua's Kyogre

6) 101 - Mewtwo ex ???????

7) 9 - Team Magma's Groudon

8) 8 - Jirachi

9) 89 - Blaziken ex

10) 4 - Dark Celebi ??????????????

This is an ok list. So figure that Gengar Ex is some what popular there.

~Tormented~

i drafted gengar ex (with 3 gastly,2 haunter 1 gengar) and i kicked butt.

it is the new gardy. until boost comes back.

Gengar and Gardevoir are two different cards! One is a ghost and the other one is a girl-looking pokemon with different attacks.

Why can't some people see why it's a good card? First of all only 2 energy to 40+ trainers in hand is very good, but the best part is that if you're fast enough Gengar's 2nd attack (prize count) can do 100 each turn for only 3 energy. Although I dont know how great it would be now, since Team Magma decks are on the rise and Magma's Claydol could wipe out Gengar with ease.

Peachyoto said:
Why can't some people see why it's a good card?

Maybe b/c there isn't any well known combo-licious combos to go with it. It reminds me of Clefable EX and Wigglytuff EX. All are good cards, but what the heck goes with them besides their lines and 4 Dunsparce?

why dose there always have to be some great combo? gangar is a good card, how about just get him on turn3 or 4 and hammer away for 3 energy.

It's only 60 for 3, many other pokemon do that much damage. The only upside is that it could deal 100 damage for 3, but once that happens, you pretty much even up the prizes and it goes back down to 60.

Prime said:
It's only 60 for 3, many other pokemon do that much damage. The only upside is that it could deal 100 damage for 3, but once that happens, you pretty much even up the prizes and it goes back down to 60.
:eek: n/m I am sooooo dumb! I read it wrong. I thought if you had more prize cards it did 100. Disregard everything I said. :p

Edit>
Ah... I know why I thought it was so good. I read the translation

* GENGAR ex [150 HP] (Stage 2 Psychic Pokemon / Evolves from Haunter)
[PC] Poltergeist (40+)
Look at your opponent's hand. This attack does 10 more damage for each
Trainer card there.
[PPC] Prize Taunt (60+)
If you have more Prize cards than your opponent, this attack does 40 more
damage.
WEAKNESS: PSYCHIC/DARKNESS
RESISTANCE: FIGHTING/COLORLESS
RETREAT: CC

(which is wrong) and it was stuck in my head so when I read the actual card it didn't register with me.

Last edited:
Gengar EX (many of them >D) + Electrode EX + delcatty/TV reporter/Juggler/other energy discard tricks

I like this one (A)

I play gangar ex and Pigeot and Wynaut/Wabboffet. It works great, especially that first turn pigeot. I played in a tourney last week and I played in a tourney and went undefeated. The only person to get a prize was in the finals. I like it alot and although it's good, i don't think it could take Gardy ex. Gangar can only KO gardy when gardies winning, wich will be all the time. I just think that Gardy is better cuz it's my fav pokemon and it got me to worlds and to the top 16.

that's if the gardy player doesn't know how to play gardy. that's how people think shiftry beats gary cuz they don't don't how to play gardy against a shiftry deck. i've beaten every shiftry deck i played against with gardy. it's all about how you get around the weakness.

i was talking to some gardy players at worlds and they was thinking about playing Gangar. Cuz gardy is geting old and they was in the top 20.

i'm playing with gangar cuz i think psychic pokemon are awesome cuz they are only weak to psychic, well gangar's weak to dark also but no one plays dark. so if you don't play another psychic deck then it's gonna be tough to beat. especially cuz it's resistance to fighting and colorless. then no one can paralyze you to death with dunsparce and KO your gex.

Back