Houston, Texas Pokemon TCG & VGC Regional Championships - April 14 & 15, 2012

Team Cook

April 14 & 15, 2012

Houston Hilton North
12400 Greenspoint Drive
Houston, Texas 77060

281-875-2222 or 1+866-577-1154

Room Block Name - Pokemon Regional Tournament

Price - 79.00 + tax = 92.43 a night / Choice of King Size bed or two Queen Size bed rooms

Players MUST book the room or rooms by April 10, 2012 to secure the price above.

Pokemon Regional Tournament block is available Thursday, April 12 through Sunday, April 15.

Please contact Mike Cook at 281-362-8781 if you have any problems with booking. Leave a message on the machine if I'm not in.

FREE
internet access in all Pokemon Regional Tournament block rooms.

FREE Pokemon hotel block raffle. Each hotel room in our Pokemon block will be entered in the raffle for a sealed box of Pokemon booster packs.

FREE internet service in Atrium outside Pokemon ballroom. The Atrium is huge and there will be plenty of seating for parents and players.

FREE shuttle to and from Bush Airport, shuttle every 30 minutes.

FREE shuttle within 5 miles of the hotel.

FREE parking all weekend, outside or in garage.

Starbucks in atrium of hotel, right outside the Pokemon ballroom.

Pokemon ballroom will be set up for 600 + players plus round tables for guest. Players will have plenty of room to relax after each game.

Plenty of eateries within 2 blocks of the Hilton Houston North, will provide a complete list.

Houston Hilton North also has a heated pool and a nice weight room, business center and much more. Be sure and check out their link.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/HOUGPHF-Hilton-Houston-North-Texas/index.do

Pokemon Regionals Championships Schedule:

Friday, April 13 - 6:30 pm - 11:00 pm - Open gaming in Pokemon Ballroom. Open gaming available in Atrium outside the ballroom all day.

For Friday side events - See post #73

Saturday, April 14 - Pokemon TCG Championships - 8:00 am - 10:00 am Registration, Deck Checks, and Announcements / Round 1 follows.

Sunday, April 15 - Top 8 Cut for TCG at 8:00 am / Pokemon VGC Championships - Juniors & Seniors 8:00 am Registration / Masters 12:00 pm Registration

Friday, Saturday, & Sunday - See post #71 for other fun activities and contest.

--------------------------------------------------------

As always, the Pokemon TCG Regional Championships will be Modified Play, HeartGold SoulSilver and newer sets. A complete list coming soon.

Junior Division: Born in 2001 or later
Senior Division: Born in 1997, 1998, 1999, or 2000
Masters Division: Born in 1996 or earlier

Pokemon TCG Regional Championship Prizes

All participants will receive 5 Play! Points, and a Pokémon Regional Championships promo card (while supplies last), just for playing!

1st Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 1st Place medal
A Travel Award for the winner (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2011 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
A first- and second-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**
A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
10 Championship Points

2nd Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 2nd Place medal
A first- and second-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**
A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
8 Championship Points

3rd & 4th Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place medal
A combination of 36 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
6 Championship Points

5th Place through 8th Place

A combination of 24 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
5 Championship Points

9th Place through 12th Place

A combination of 18 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
4 Championship Points (if division attendance is 32 or greater)

13th Place through 16th Place

A combination of 18 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
3 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)

17th Place through 32nd Place

A combination of 7 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
2 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)

33rd Place through 64th Place

1 Championship Point (if division attendance is 128 or greater)

* Non-U.S. residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award to the U.S. National Championships, as the U.S. Nationals are open to U.S. residents only. Non-Canadian residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award to the Canadian National Championships, as the Canadian Nationals are open to Canadian residents only. If a non-resident wins a Regional Championship, the Travel Award will pass down to the next eligible resident. All other prizes will be awarded to the actual winner of the event.

** Byes do not ‘stack.’ If you have won a bye in another event such as the S/P/T Championship and finish in the top 2 of a Regional Championship, you will receive a first- and second-round bye at your National Championships.

------------------------------------------------------

Pokemon VGC Modified Format

5. Standard Format Style
All sanctioned Pokémon video game tournaments require players to assemble a team of Pokémon, with items, prior to the start of the event. The standard format style for all PLAY! Pokémon tournaments is Double Battle.

5.1. Double Battle
In Double Battles, each player selects four Pokémon from his or her party of six to battle with. At the start of the battle, players send out the first two Pokémon in their party, making a total of four Pokémon on the battlefield. Game play continues until a player knocks out all four of his or her opponent’s Pokémon.

6. Standard Team Construction Rules
When building a team for a PLAY! Pokémon tournament, all players must adhere to these standard construction rules.

· A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number

· Each Pokémon on a player’s team can hold an item, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item

· A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same nickname

· A player’s team cannot contain a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon (for example, an Unfezant named “Pidove”)

· Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
o By leveling up
o By TM or HM
o As an Egg move, through breeding
o From a character in the game
o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion

Rev: September 1st, 2011
• Only Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version Game Cards are permitted for use.
• Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–646, that are caught in the
game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution
• The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team:
o 150 – Mewtwo
o 151 – Mew
o 249 – Lugia
o 250 – Ho‐Oh
o 251 – Celebi
o 382 – Kyogre
o 383 – Groudon
o 384 – Rayquaza
o 385 – Jirachi
o 386 – Deoxys
o 483 – Dialga
o 484 – Palkia
o 487 – Giratina
o 489 – Phione
o 490 – Manaphy
o 491 – Darkrai
o 492 – Shaymin
o 493 – Arceus
o 494 – Victini
o 643 – Reshiram
o 644 – Zekrom
o 646 – Kyurem
• Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
• Pokémon above level 50 are permitted, but they are auto‐leveled down to 50 for the duration of
battle.
• Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities that have been officially released via Pokémon
Black Version and Pokémon White Version, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or
promotion.
• Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
• The Wonder Launcher cannot be used during battle.

------------------------------------------------------

Pokemon VGC Regional Championships Prizes

All participants will receive 5 Play! Points, and a Pokémon Regional Championships promo card (while supplies last), just for playing!
1st Place
• A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 1st Place medal
• A Travel Award for the winner (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2011 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the 2011 Pokémon Video Game Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
• A first- and second-round bye at the 2012 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships**
• Additional Pokémon-themed items
• 10 Championship Points
2nd Place
• A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 2nd Place medal
• A $300 travel allowance (including an additional $300 travel allowance for players under 18) to participate in the 2011 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the 2011 Pokémon Video Game Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
• A first- and second-round bye at the 2012 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships**
• 8 Championship Points
3rd & 4th Place
• A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place medal
• A $300 travel allowance (including an additional $300 travel allowance for players under 18) to participate in the 2011 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the 2011 Pokémon Video Game Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
• 6 Championship Points
5th Place through 8th Place
• 5 Championship Points
9th Place through 12th Place
• 4 Championship Points (if division attendance is 32 or greater)
13th Place through 16th Place
• 3 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)
17th Place through 32nd Place
• 2 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)
33rd Place through 64th Place
• 1 Championship Point (if division attendance is 128 or greater)
* Non-U.S. residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the U.S. National Championships, as the U.S. Nationals are open to U.S. residents only. Non-Canadian residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the Canadian National Championships, as the Canadian Nationals are open to Canadian residents only. If a non-resident wins a Regional Championship, the Travel Award or travel allowance will pass down to the next eligible resident. All other prizes will be awarded to the actual winner of the event.
** Byes do not ‘stack.’ If you have win byes at both the Autumn and Spring Regional Championships, you will only receive a first- and second-round bye at your National Championships.

Last edited:
I hope y'all like to eat because there's plenty of places to chow down, all within two blocks of the hotel.

Our hotel - 2 restaurants, a cash concession set-up (for Pokemon) and a Starbucks in the Atrium area, right outside the Pokemon ballroom

Within two blocks:

Brown Sugar BBQ - Great for chicken fried steak.
Fuddruckers - Great burgers
I-Hop - A good breakfast
Cajun Town Cafe - Rated one of the best Cajun restaurants in the greater Houston area.
Monterey's Mexican
Imperial Dragon Chinese
Indian Grill
Chef Lin's Hunan
Asiana Garden (Korean)
Zero's Sandwich Shop
Murphy's Deli
McDonalds
Jack in the Box
Wendy's
Whataburger

I'll get a list of who delivers to the hotel and post it.

Last edited:
This is really awesome. I just recently got back into the TCG and I live in Houston, TX. If there are more events or local tournaments and stuff, Please PM me if you're in the area! :D

This is really awesome. I just recently got back into the TCG and I live in Houston, TX. If there are more events or local tournaments and stuff, Please PM me if you're in the area! :D

Check out our local website, pokemonBUZZ.com for a complete list of upcoming City Championships which will run November 26 - January 8.

The tournament schedule can be found on the Forums but we'll add Cities to the front page after the Prereleases.

Be sure and "Like" us at Houston Pokemon on Facebook. I keep it updated with tournament information and photos.

Welcome back to the TCG and we look forward to you joining our greater Houston area Pokemon family. Be sure and introduce yourself to me at the next event.

Can't wait!! it's been great to have it at the track but this should be just as if not more fun. :)

Last edited:
Check out our local website, pokemonBUZZ.com for a complete list of upcoming City Championships which will run November 26 - January 8.

The tournament schedule can be found on the Forums but we'll add Cities to the front page after the Prereleases.

Be sure and "Like" us at Houston Pokemon on Facebook. I keep it updated with tournament information and photos.

Welcome back to the TCG and we look forward to you joining our greater Houston area Pokemon family. Be sure and introduce yourself to me at the next event.

Wow thanks! I just liked the Facebook page, and I can't wait to make it out to some events. I really didn't even know about shops around Houston, i just get cards like at walmart and target haha. Can't wait to meet some of the Houston Pokemon family!

Mike sounds like an awesome venue!!!
We are making plans now to be there.
I still remember Reginals at the Space Center and what an awesome location that was.

^^ Yes Jeff, this is a great venue for Regionals. Sure, it's just another hotel but it's the set up for the players that make it awesome. We'll have plenty of room in the ballroom plus the gigantic hotel atrium right outside the door. Players will have a place to go and relax after a great battle.

We have ALL the ballroom space downstairs so we won't have to share the atrium with any other groups and like I stated above, FREE internet service in the atrium.

This is gonna be sick! Can't wait to be there.

Alright, we have North Carolina and South Carolina in the house already.

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL:

Make sure you inform us if you've booked a room in the Pokemon block because we're having a special drawing for those that do so. We're giving away a sealed box of the newest set. Simply pm us with the name on the room so we can confirm with the hotel list. Don't miss out on the chance for a box of cards.

We hope everyone had fun at the Fall Regionals and it looks and sounds like all the tournaments were well run.

Start making plans for the Spring Regionals, you don't want to miss out on one of the, if not the biggest Regionals in the United States.

Be sure and check out the GREAT deal we made with the Hilton, you'll notice a lot of "FREE's" on post #1 which is really nice. Yeppers, that's right, FREE shuttle EVERY 30 MINUTES to and from Bush Airport, FREE internet in all hotel rooms booked through our Pokemon block, FREE internet in the atrium right outside the Pokemon ballroom, FREE parking all weekend, inside or outside the parking garage.

We've successfully made Houston Regionals inexpensive for YOU!

Just scroll up and check everything out. Be sure and check out the pictures of the hotel, just click on the link on the first post.

Hey Mike, I know the Sunday schedule is tentative, but will it allow as many "bilingual" TCG players as possible to play in the VGC? I wanna keep my DS gravy train rollin', but I also don't want to retire all hope of doing well at Regionals. :lol:

Hey Mike, I know the Sunday schedule is tentative, but will it allow as many "bilingual" TCG players as possible to play in the VGC? I wanna keep my DS gravy train rollin', but I also don't want to retire all hope of doing well at Regionals. :lol:

This is one of my goals, to make sure all TCG players have the opportunity to participate in VG and this shouldn't be an issue since we're planning the same schedule as last year. Swiss and any top cut down to top 8 on Saturday and start top cut at 9:00 am Sunday.

I do expect a larger VG crowd due to more time to prepare and the fact that Texas does get a larger VG player base.

Since we're talking scheduling, does anyone have any suggestions? It seems like everyone was happy with last years schedule,

The only thing we're wanting to keep an eye on is the attendance in Juniors and will it really need a second day for top cut?

Hmmm...Well if top cut starts at 9:00, then one would assume that between +3, bathroom breaks, and time extensions that the Masters would let out around 1:30-2:00 PM. If VGC registration for the Masters was from 10:00-11:00/11:30, then that would give all but the top four a chance to play; and if it were done from 11:00-12:00/12:30, then that would give all but the finalists a chance, too.

So maybe one of those?

We are booked and it is an awesome deal!!!
We got 2 queen beds for $79 a night...at a Hilton :eek:
We are looking forward to an awesome event and time!!!

Back