Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How to tech against terrakion with zekeels.

for some reason

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea's on how to tech against terrakion in zekeels. I always find the game's really close (1 to 1 prize) but I seem to lose. I was thinking maybe Shaymin EX? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need to specifically tech against it. Just swarm Eviolited Mewtwos on them and play smart. If you really want something (that isn't Mewtwo) that can stand up to Terrak, Tornadus EP or Zapdos ND work.
Posted with Mobile style...

What If they run Ruins of Alph to get rid of :fighting: Resistance? Then you would be stuck with Eviolite on Mewtwo EX. Also ZekEels has a problem with opening the game with Zekrom EX against a deck like Landorus/Terrakion or Quad Terrakion so I would advise on running SSU's to fix that problem, maybe Switch with Seeker instead since you're garaunteed the return.

You don't need to specifically tech against it. Just swarm Eviolited Mewtwos on them and play smart. If you really want something (that isn't Mewtwo) that can stand up to Terrak, Tornadus EP or Zapdos ND work.

The problem is I only play two mewtwo and I don't play eviolite. I play a slightly strange list. it is a little more techy that is why I was asking for techs because I have a different playstyle. But I like the ruins of alph suggestion a lot because that allows me to use plus powers with my zekrom BW's to ohko terrakions. Combined with shaymin I think that that will be good enough.

The problem is I only play two mewtwo and I don't play eviolite. I play a slightly strange list. it is a little more techy that is why I was asking for techs because I have a different playstyle. But I like the ruins of alph suggestion a lot because that allows me to use plus powers with my zekrom BW's to ohko terrakions. Combined with shaymin I think that that will be good enough.

Terrakion has no resistance. Only landurus does.

You don't really even need to tech, just play smartly.

I don't run Tornadus, or Zapdos, OR Eviolite, and I can beat Terrakion. Now, I'd say it might be 45-55 in their favor, but that's not really that bad, in all honesty. I just tank with Mewtwo EX and take OHKOs with my 2 regular Zekrom. Play your Catcher smartly, play your Ns smartly, and you'll win a good amount of the time!

Eviolite is practically mandatory in ZekEels. :\
Not even close. I use to be a huge proponent for Eviolite in Eels, but I don't feel it is necessary anymore. Nice to have? Yes, most certainly. But mandatory? No.

Let's think about situations when Eviolite is useful. Against Terrakion, it obviously does have use. Reducing 20 damage from your Mewtwo EXs or Tornadus (if you play them) can be huge against a Terrakion deck. Really though, that's the only way it is useful in that particular matchup.

Now we'll move to the mirror. It is, honestly, not that useful here. Eviolite on a Thundurus is pretty pointless. It does require a Zekrom to have a PlusPower to OHKO it, but that's really all it does. It's nice reducing your selfdamage on Bolt Strike to 20, but again, all it does is require an opposing Zekrom to have a PlusPower to OHKO you. It's mostly useless on Mewtwo EX in this matchup; the only way it helps is against a Thundurus attacking a Mewtwo EX, but if you have to attack a Mewtwo with Thundurus you are already in a sub-par position. Eviolite is just a 'win more' card in that situation.

NOW, I will give you that it can be useful on a Zekrom EX in this matchup, but as I said before, I don't even like Zekrom EX and I do not run it at all.

Now we'll move to the last matchup that actually matters, that being Celebi. I don't find it that useful in this matchup either. Yes, it can require the Celebi player to have 1 more energy on Mewtwo EX to KO you, but that is basically it. It's useless on your Mewtwo's and only really matter on Thundurus and Zekrom. While it helps here, Celebi is most threatening in the early game, where Eviolite is irrelevant (mostly). When you take Celebi to the last game, you are already better positioned to win simply due to the way Eels functions, so Eviolite is, again, a 'win more' card.

So yes, Eviolite is handy and can be nice to have, but it is in no way required. Depending on your build (and it IS build dependent), you may not need it at all!

I like Eviolite and I think everyone should play 1-2 of it. If you play Zekrom BW, you should always be playing Eviolite.

I like Eviolite and I think everyone should play 1-2 of it. If you play Zekrom BW, you should always be playing Eviolite.

Agreed.

As for teching against Terrakion? If it really bothers you, run a single Tornadus. Mewtwo should be fine though.

Many players that did very well with zek eels at states did not run eviolite. Its clear that the card isn't mandatory, but it is really good vs terrakion.

Alright, here's the thing I've figured it out with Terrak.

Terrakion and Durant are kind of in the same boat. They both surprised the meta they were unveiled in, and had success primarily because of the fact that no one had any idea how to play against and beat them.

Now, despite the fact that people now know how to play against Terrakion, I still expect people to play it, primarily of the fact that, out of any deck, it has the best MU vs. ZekEels.

Back