Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How will ex's affect the meta today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathring109

With what we know about the new ex's coming out in the spring, how does everyone feel the game will be affected with these pokemon.

It will change everything quite a bit with the new advantage basic high HO poking get with evolite and the stellar attacks. Mainly just the few (mewtwo, reshiram, zekrom, regigigas) and good support (darkrai). It will most likely be a speed format when they release.
Posted with Mobile style...

Mewtwo specifically will redefine the standards a deck needs to compete with. Zekrom for instance can't Bolt Strike, or risk OHKO, Goth will need to learn how to counter it.

The other EXs will vary, Zekrom EX will make Zekeels better, and Reshiram EX will give Tyram another option. The other EXs may see varying success, and will definitely make the game very different.

Mewtwo ex will certainly shake up the metagame quite a bit. That being said I don't think it will realistically be the best card in the format for a few reasons. For one thing it is easily countered by things such as Mew Prime who will be able to one shot it and take away all of its energy while only needing one energy. Zekrom ex will also have a good matchup against Mewtwo, as Mewtwo would need 7 energy on itself to one shot Zekrom which will take some time to set up. Meanwhile with Eels, Zekroms can be charging up on the bench every turn to take 2 shot after 2 shot, or can use Rocky Helmet to have a chance at the one hit kill if Mewtwo has no Eviolite. Reshiram I think could be good in its own deck, but the possibility of taking 50 damage and being worth 2 prizes is really risky to me. I think it will see its place being 1 or 2 copies in Tyram to give it that high damage option that Reshiboar has now without having to play a stage 2 line. I can't really see Kyurem being useful in its own deck, it could perhaps be a useful tech for special energy hate but I think it's easily the worst of the 4 EXs we are likely to see in Next Destinies.

tl;dr Zekrom=>Mewtwo>Reshiram>>Kyurem

Allmost every deck will possibly add Mewtwo EX or counter it heavily.
CaKE focussed on Cobalion will be a big contender.

All one need do is look to the japanese meta. Mewtwo is in every deck. Some focus on it, some splash it, but ALL play it. Even cobalion decks(prepare to play 4x switch). It's too playable and will easily see a HUGE pricetag when it is released. The dragon ex cards will also see alot of play, save for maybe kyurem. All in all, expect ur prime collections to devalue immensely when Mewtwo is finally released.

The last big EX format was defined by a few things, namely the ability to make fantastic comebacks (Ray/DX legends KO'ing a mewtwo anyone?) and also being able to rocket's admin (now called 'N') into oblivion during their last two prizes and leaving them with nothing to defend with. Much more strategic format than what we've seen the last two years, where setting up was nearly always a guaranteed win.

All one need do is look to the japanese meta. Mewtwo is in every deck. Some focus on it, some splash it, but ALL play it. Even cobalion decks(prepare to play 4x switch). It's too playable and will easily see a HUGE pricetag when it is released. The dragon ex cards will also see alot of play, save for maybe kyurem. All in all, expect ur prime collections to devalue immensely when Mewtwo is finally released.

So what you're saying is, Primes everywhere will become much, much cheaper to acquire?

I can live with that.

^That will be the case. MMW- the only primes that will retain value will be magnezone(maybe), typhlosion, celebi(I see this shooting up), electrode and maybe absol(if goodstuff comes from dark rush) All the donphans, gengars,yanmegas, and such will tank in value do to being outclassed by the ex cards. The bolded primes will still be $$ because they accelerate energy, magnezone is a good engine and can still 1 shot the ex cards. Absol is iffy, really depends on what is released for the "dark" set.

Before everyone asks about mew- mew can ko mewtwo, but will die to anything else. It will most likely stay $15.

Reshiram EX will be very very good. I see him having more use in emboar though, since that damage from afterburner will make it too easy to KO by the other ex's

The thing about Reshiram is unless you have Fliptini, you are essentially leaving yourself with a normal Reshiram's HP after you attack and are giving up 2 prizes to some very easy counters like Zoroark, Samurott, Lanturn, and even Kyurem EX. If you do run Fliptini, you have an easy prize sitting on the bench. Not that I think it is going to be bad, I just feel that other EXes are going to outclass it.

The idea that RDL is a good Mewtwo counter is preposterous.

Yeah, it takes three prizes off a Mewtwo, but Mewtwo usually OHKOs it for a DCE after that. Also, unless you're playing MagneBoar and drop it and power it in the same turn, they'll just Catcher it up for 2 free prizes.

The idea that RDL is a good Mewtwo counter is preposterous.

Yeah, it takes three prizes off a Mewtwo, but Mewtwo usually OHKOs it for a DCE after that. Also, unless you're playing MagneBoar and drop it and power it in the same turn, they'll just Catcher it up for 2 free prizes.

How do you figure, especially for for Magneboar (since nothing else really plays it anyway) RDL will likely have one energy left after attacking, so Mewtwo with a DCE will be doing 120 damage, which isn't knock out.

The thing about Reshiram is unless you have Fliptini, you are essentially leaving yourself with a normal Reshiram's HP after you attack and are giving up 2 prizes to some very easy counters like Zoroark, Samurott, Lanturn, and even Kyurem EX. If you do run Fliptini, you have an easy prize sitting on the bench. Not that I think it is going to be bad, I just feel that other EXes are going to outclass it.

I would agree with you except for that eviolite will be played much more than it is now. It makes 50 damage on tails to 30, which isnt that bad. I dont think Kyurem ex will be played at all, since cobalion is a decent wall against mewtwo. Now I realize most of this is theorymon, but Reshiram ex is quite wonderful in my brain, and our meta is quite different from japan's even when comparing similar formats. Mewtwo ex will be the best card from the set definitely, but reshiram ex with emboar makes emboar a lot more viable without needing to use badboar.

Currently, and this is complete "Theorymon" by someone who barely gets to play, I suspect that Mewtwo EX will be everywhere because it is insanely hyped but does have substance to it. As has been stated, it was (and still is) a common sight in the Japanese game, so ours will probably follow suite.

The real question is if players will "figure out" how to play it properly. This isn't a matter of what decks can use it: the card looks to be fairly flexible. Rather it is actually making smart plays with the card that will weed out a lot of players in the early tournament rounds. I may not have much experience with the current format, but I am familiar with older Pokemon ex focused formats. A two Prize penalty is huge, even when you can try to "feed" off of it, such as with Twins or N. Indeed, we had card like Scramble Energy and Pow! Hand Extension on top of Supporters to abuse the "false lead" Prizes would indicate.

Hopefully most players reading this won't have a problem. Mewtwo EX is worth two Prizes and can do decent damage with little investment. It all boils down to resource management, and yes Prizes are a resource. Rushing ahead to a five Prize lead is a bad idea if it leaves you with nothing in play and vulnerable to N obliterating your hand. The flip side is also true: it doesn't matter if you have a perfect set-up if your opponent just took the last Prize they needed. Keep track of what is being invested into everything.

Last edited:
Currently, I have no idea how all of this will work out. Right now I run reshiphlosion, and I'm nervous because I may need to add mewtwo ex to my deck. In addition as was previously said, afterburner makes an easier knockout, and then your opponent gets two prize cards. I may start working on a different deck

My predictions:
[Using current decks]

Decks that will do ok:
Mew Prime could actually be a nice tech against Mewtwo EX. Sort of a one-hit wonder, but the prize-trading is pro-Mew.
Reshiboar is ok because Reshi does not hit itself. Could tech Reshi EX. Set up time could be an issue, as would Catcher.

Decks that will suffer:
ZPST: Technically, you can still win with a donk on whatever non-Mewtwo starter they got.
Goth: Goth takes too long to set up to be viable against Mewtwo EX.
Reshiphlosion: Suffers because of the Afterburners damage.

See, Mewtwo EX takes out most decks. I think it will be a big gamechanger. It does 120 with only 1 card discard, unlike the 2 card discard for Reshi or the self-damage for Zekrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back