Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Idea for a Gym Leader system

vaporeon

Idea for a Gym Leader System

I wanted to know if a sub forum could be created in the Electronic Games section for a Pokémon D/P/Pt/HG/SS Gym Leader system. It’s like having a real time Pokémon game going on at all times.
We can have leaders for all of the in-game Pokémon types like Ice, Fire, Flying, Dragon etc and allow players to earn badges and compete in a Pokémon League who has earned all the badges. This will be like a mini tournament that always goes on. This can also allow people to get better at the game or even give people a reason to play the game. Some of the other Pokémon related sited even have a Gym system. I do know this site is more directed towards the TCG and helping it grow but I think it would be a good idea to open up the Pokémon video games a bit more. I do have pros and cons I can list;

Pros
1. It allows us to help the game grow.
2. Player have a reason to continue to play after finishing the game
3. Allows inexperience players to get better at the game by learning what is good against what and basic game play skill development.
4. Allowing a league system makes the gym look to other serious other players.

Cons
1. It could die down if everyone has badges.
2. The Gym Leader not wanting to accept challenges
3. People saying then earned badges when they did not

That’s all I have for now about that. I don’t think it will be a bad idea to try out. Ultimatedra said it’s a cool idea when I asked but I know not one person can make it happen, it takes the whole team.
We can have tryouts for Gym Leaders. I myself would not mind being the Flying Type Gym Leader. Have Tryouts to be Pokegym Champion who are the people who can only battle other members who have all they type badges. Of course Gym Leaders will have their own set of rules like; you can’t bring Pokémon to counter my team and things of the sort. Like if you have a Ice team, your opponent can’t bring a all Rock and Fire team to counter your team. If they do, they won’t get the badge. What Pokémon are allowed to be used and other Gym Rules such as battle format. It will be all up to that gyms rules and people who wish to play has to follow them.

It’s not a bad idea to try out and see how it works. I could or even will bring more life to the Gym’s Electronic Games section for Pokémon as Pokémon is one of the things less talked about there. It’s not up to me or even Ultimatedra. All I ask is if the admins of Pokegym consider this. I think it will be a good way to start the year and bring in the new Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver games.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

What do you all think. PokePop thought I should post this here for discussion.

I've seen this on other sites. Usually died after a little while because the gym leaders stopped logging on, or they didn't want to play matches. It might be harder on a big site like this though, because they would get like 10 challenges per day.

Well then maybe the major qualification for the gym leaders should be dedication.

I think this is an awesome idea. Id love to participate.

As for your 3rd con, that isn't an issue, because the gym leaders can keep a running list of who earned their badge. I say lets get this ball rolling.

I'd say that we could lay down some ground rules like you said about bringing a fire/rock team to an ice leader. Heres what I propose we consider:

1. No legendaries (ho-oh, mew, raikou, palkia, giratina, manaphy, etc, etc)
2. battles all follow specific format (lvl 50 battle, e.g. and maybe let gym leader decide single or double and stick with it)
3. ties = rematch

Oh, and I'd be interested in doing ice or electric :)

Last edited:
You would need to have 17 different people to do. The problem with people signing up is they join, but they either forget because they have other things in their daily lives or they change their minds at the last minute. You mentioned that people would lie about having all the badges. What you should do is on the front page, put the persons name and under their name, write the badge that they have eard. That way, you can keep track of the badges everyone has!

If you want a sub-forum, you should not post here. That kind of thing should go into the Team Compendium's Hideout. But for now, let's discuss what COULD happen if this where to be adopted.

If this is something we get into, i believe that 8 gym leaders is what we would do, just like the games.
Gym Leaders would get to make some rules, but they would have to be cleared with the person in charge (Probably me) and each gym leader would have to keep track of challenger wins.

I like the idea, but this is just a hope for now and nothing is absolute at this time. With some discussion and ironing out, i can see this becoming a regular event here on the Gym.

Last edited:
You could do a standard Pokemon system with eight gym leaders, an elite four, and a champion. How you would determine these things is beyond me but it's just an idea.

17 is far too many. Definitely stick with 8. The gym could give some cool title (like the frontier brains) to anyone who beats all the GLs

In order for this to happen, the Gym would have to sanction the idea and very solid rules would have to be submitted to the TC Staff before anything moved forward.

On the idea of titles, why not a title for each Gym Leader - ie. 'Ice Gym Leader' that links to the Ice Gym page.

If you are making the Gyms, why not the E4 and Champion at some point?

Also, why not follow the theme of each Gym? Ice, Electric, etc.

the whole gym leader thing i see is flawed. i mean other than having a title or maybe a special little symbol on your profile is the only thing it could do. but single typed gym leaders can't do anything, i mean if they have a whole team of flying i'm running in with ice and lighting to destroy them all without a problem.

another problem is the amount of times you can challenege a leader, i mean can i go once an hour to try to challenge someone or do i have to wait once a day or week?

how long would you also be able to keep your badge before having to fight for it again? i don't ash could go back to kanto and jump into the indigo platue......or could he they never adressed this problem in the show.

i believe a system of and elite 4, and a champion would be much better suited for a website like this, specially since this electronic gaming section is kinda of a smaller part of this forum. this way you can have still have a class structure where someone would have to beat the 4 memebers of the elite 4 (i believe without losing, and if you lose you have to restart), before you can challenge the champion. this also give the members a more lienant team structure of having pure types on their team.

once a month there can be a tourny and the top 4 become elite 4, and of course the only way to remove the champion is to beat the champion and become it yourself.

ive seen to many of these gym ladders start up and fail after a month or two. i believe that this elite 4 and champion would work much better. but if implimented it should try to stick to more realism (haha the irony) of the pokemon world and like hte one person said earlier of not putting legends into the mix

@ trainer jeff:
These are some good points. I'd say there could be a "cooldown" period where if you lose to a gym leader you must wait 3 or so days before challenging them again. I think keeping a badge would be more or less permanent unless somewhere down the line we decided to revamp the system.

As for the elite four idea, everyone knows that you must beat the GL's before going to the E4. I mean ya, we could just have an E4 but most of us here probably find the system that mirrors the game to be more appealing since thats just how it works. Also, you mentioned that the E4 system would kill the problem of being "themed". Well, in all the games all the E4 members (except the champion) are themed to one type. So, Im not sure how this helps.

I think the theming of gym leaders is fun. I wouldn't mind at all battling people with an all ice team, its different, its fun. If someone wants to take the effort to establish an all rock team for one GL and an all fire team for another, then more power to them.

Also, in the E4 system, if one member went AFK for any amount of time, then that could halt all action. At least in the GL system, there are 8 ppl, so the chance of finding one to battle is higher even if one is AFK.

see but the gym leader system has no incentive to keep the people coming back, at least here it can set up a regular tournament system with a reason to battle other than to get a "badge." and this is similar to the gym leader system except for 4 instead of 8 and something happens when you actually beat everyone instead of just saying hey i beat all 8.

the afk will happen to any kind of system but you will have to put plans in motion for either one system. and though they are themed, they aren't as heavy, like the flame guy, steelix, driftloom, lopunny....

i'm just saying this would be a more incentive based system that would get more people to particapate and involved

This is something that a friend and I haved discussed a while back. It all started with " It would be cool if there were actual gym leaders across the US........."
This is a big idea, and will require alot of ideas formed into an actual format.
I held a tourny that I titled "Defeat the Elite" some time ago, and it was a challenge for the attendees to earn points that were used to make attempts at defeating four poeple I consider to be "Elite" when it comes to battleing. It was successful enough, but as my event got further into it, I started seeing needed improvements right away. I have future plans to make another tourny based around the elite four theme, and as far as having some "gym leaders" idea:
count me in.
I can see some issues right off, but I do know this: STRUCTURE and COMMITMENT are needed from those who will try to get this going. And even after getting some foundation for this, it will be trial and error for some time before this can become something that will be fun for everyone. Rules, banned lists, gym leader pokemon type- I think that these are the small details- bigger matters are things like: Can we staff this with enough people who can commit to doing this? < example
So I am in for this, this is something that I am working on here for the Salem Oregon area pokemon ds players.
I have a place to play, I set the battle formats, I have a few sponcers, but Staff (volunteers)is the tough thing to get orginized.
I would like to see this idea grow- I'll do what I can to assist....... but it will take some time and a good system that will get this idea into something in supporting global pokemon ds battlers.

^ benzo: Wow. Seems like you have huge plans for this. Everyone else was talking about keeping this within the scope of the gym for the time being (why do we need sponsors?) I think the idea is to have a small, fun system for the gym. If it grows, then thats fine, but we should really begin small.

Arcanine^: I meant that there are other people from othercountries that visit this site, And as far as sponcers go, I was refering to prize support for my events.
I am simply stateing that I would support this idea.
I don't have huge plans for this, I have hope that maybe this could be something that the 'gym could do with enough support.

Umm. It's too late for me to give this a very serious read right now, but I want to say this.

The idea takes a LOT of work, ESPECIALLY on such a huge site.

HOWEVER, I would LOVE to be a Gym Leader. I don't know what kind of qualifications I'd need to get/make, but, I am working on my Platinum game - I swear I am - and if I can just get a few more Dittos together, I could actually make a decently functional team. I almost have Bullet Scizor done.

I'm rather curious if holding a gym leader/E4 thing here on the gym would work out. Pokegym's current VG section is a bit small right now, though, this is understandable since this is a TCG site after all. I also wonder if there are enough experienced VG players here to make battling for such ranks worthwhile. I myself have held numerous gym leader-ish positions; even on busy VG sites matches tend to be far and few.

Arcanine/Arbok Master said:
Well hopefully you could get a themed team together :). Why do you need multiple dittos?

Ditto is the perfect breeding pokemon for many reasons, one of these reasons is based on a unique game mechanic called the Everstone Trick. This trick allows Ditto's nature to be passed from itself to VG pokemon offspring in a 50-50 chance. Having multiple Ditto allows a player to pass on a variety of different natures to VG pokemon offspring, one nature each Ditto.

HOWEVER, I would LOVE to be a Gym Leader.

If you obtain any kind of Gym Leader position, you can guarantee I will come challenge you. :wink:

Here's an idea that I presented to the GL system on Pokebeach, though I don't think that the guy running it is as committed. To avoid counter typing, a challenger must PM his/her team to some third party person who volunteers for that purpose. The challenger then must use that set team to beat all of the GLs/E4, and every time they beat someone the third party will PM the team to the GL/E4 that the challenger just beat so they can confirm that it was the same team.

Maybe if they fulfill certain conditions during a battle they could switch one pokemon or something, but it would definitely make it more of a challenge. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT. BTW, post #11, there are dual type pokemon, so you can't always do what you said.

EDIT. And why no legendaries? I can see no Ubers, but even one o f the frontier brains had an Articuno. (I think...)

Back