Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kentucky States March 4th

Berne13us

KENTUCKY STATE POKEMON CHAMPIONSHIP

WHERE: A+ Comics & Collectables 123 Southland Dr. Lexington, KY. 40503
DATE - Saturday, March 4th, 2006
TIME - 10:00 AM (registration) 11:30 AM (play begins)
Three Age Divisions - 10 & under / 11 to 14 / 15 & over
Format – Modified Constructed Deck (bring your own deck)
Decklist: required- if done ahead of time saves LOTS of time getting started!!
Age Modified Swiss (all players play in every round)
Cost - FREE
Additional Information - [email protected] or PM Berne13us on the gym
Food - We will take a Lunch break after the 2nd round There are a number of fast food restaurants located within 1 mile of the A+.

Why play you might ask?

Prizes Prizes Prizes :clap:
· The top 8 players in each of the three age divisions (10 & under, 11 to 14, 15 & over) get the following prizes:
1st Place - 36 Pokémon Booster Packs, State Championship Trophy, Prize Bag,
4-day Origins pass and $300 travel allowance for Nationals (must be claimed at Nationals)
2nd Place - 16 Pokémon Booster Packs
3rd Place - 8 Pokémon Booster Packs
4th Place - 8 Pokémon Booster Packs
5-8th Place - 4 Pokémon Booster Packs

*** There will be a policy of one and done for State Championships this year. Once a player has won a State he/she may not play in another. Winning a State, however, does not prevent the player from playing in and winning a Regional, Gym or National Championship Tournament.

Are you ready to rock? Can you say three in three weekends? KY- 4th, Ind, 11th, OH 18th.....
More Pokemon fun than anyone can handle!!!

We can't wait to see everyone out for our biggest tournament yet!!!

Bernie DeVille
KY. PTO

Best of luck holding this one Bernie. I won't be able to defend my State Title from last year because I will be competing in North Carolina on the same day. I had a lot of fun playing you last year, hope this tournament goes smoothly for you bud. :smile:

~The Jim Ferrell formerly from Ohio

Sorry to hear you won't be around to defend! Hopefully I'll run across you at when I go to the regionals in the Carolinas.
All in all though, I expect a great turnout after getting 52 for the Lexington CC and another 30 in Louisville, plus the usual welcome invasion from across the northern and southern borders. :biggrin:

must be karma- the Richmond CC winner last weekend was playing a Sally deck that reminded me of the won you won KY with last year.

Bernie DeVille
KY PTO

I hate to break it to you Hiro- I've had todig up the services of a few other GREAT judges, because
YJ has decided to come to Kentucky to play again this year instead of judge. :rolleyes:

But of course the more competition, the better the tourney.:thumb:

Look foward to seeing you there, the whole event is going to be a blast

Bernie

Berne13us said:
I hate to break it to you Hiro- I've had todig up the services of a few other GREAT judges, because
YJ has decided to come to Kentucky to play again this year instead of judge. :rolleyes:

But of course the more competition, the better the tourney.:thumb:

Look foward to seeing you there, the whole event is going to be a blast

Bernie

oh well, i have to fight for a state victory this year, lol. hope we get a good crowd.

Hello KY...howdy Berne!!

greetings from California, I've been keeping in contact with my cousin's in E-ville and they might be making the trip on back to LEXINGTON...but it all depends on his schedule...so watch out for our HONORARY TEAM LA members...laters and have a great tourney!!

:thumb:

Jess_E

The more the merrier!! Its always interesting to see how the metagames from the three states around us function when thrown together with ours!!!

Rock Lock meets Typlosion meets Zappy meets Trode meets Queedom......hmm

Bernie

The city championships for Lexington had:

31 10-
12 11-14 (I think)
9 15+ (I think)

That being said------ I would expect 22 or so 11-14, including at least 4 who i know went to worlds last year (2 who were 10 and 2 who were 12 or 13). I would rate James A. as a pretty fierce one seed, was I a vegas type but this age group will be the one to watch!

15+ --- I would guess at 15 to 20 or so, depending on whether or not the Georgia crowd comes up (i don't remember when the Carolina states is, and thats closer to them) with at least 4 veterans from Worlds.

10 and under will be a real free for all, since Julian D and Eli K. will have moved up to 11-14. That leaves last year's 10- Ky. State & Gym Challenge champ as the reigning top seed, and one of probably 3 world's veterans in 10-.

In other words- no cakewalk in any age group and not just because the Ohio players tend to come down. The Kentucky scene has been growing rapidly over the last year and has players in every age group ready to hold their own. I really expect this to be the largest tournament Ky. has seen since Vince ran something in Louisville many moons ago under Wizards, and a blast of competitive fun for everyone involved.
Early thanks go out to the illustrious Kim Kramer- who procured a wondrous bounty of door prizes for our event!!! Don't forget also- the weekends after Ky are the Indiana and Ohio State Championships, and I'm willing to bet you see alot of the same players at all 3.

Bernie

Last edited:
Whats the metagame for Ky? I'm not too sure since I've never played there. I know ohio has ALOT of TTar decks. (Rocklock/Spin Tail/ POW! block.

The Kentucky metagame: take it for what you will-----

Ohio shows a lot of T-tar/Lock etc. What I see the most of around Ky is Ludi & Zappy variants, with a dash of Rock Lock, Dragtrode and Mercury to keep everyone honest and balanced. Medicham gets kicked around from reason I haven't fathomed yet, and I've seen players win local tourneys with both Steelix-Ex and Typlosion in the younger groups. Haven't seen a 4 corners since before worlds, but have seen some Crex rogues do well.
From the local leagues I've seen folks experimenting with the new Gengar, and the hottest trade card around seems to be Bannette EX, which is getting teched into quite a few decks that use poison or other counter generation. Another quiet player who shall remain nameless was trading for full flames and is known to own a nasty little Camerupt/Moltres deck that I wouldn't want to run into unprepared.... except with a blastoise deck.
In other words- know how your deck does against most archetypes, pack your counter stadiums, and for gosh's sake don't play a power tree against a blastoise deck.

Berne13us said:
The Kentucky metagame: take it for what you will-----

Ohio shows a lot of T-tar/Lock etc. What I see the most of around Ky is Ludi & Zappy variants, with a dash of Rock Lock, Dragtrode and Mercury to keep everyone honest and balanced. Medicham gets kicked around from reason I haven't fathomed yet, and I've seen players win local tourneys with both Steelix-Ex and Typlosion in the younger groups. Haven't seen a 4 corners since before worlds, but have seen some Crex rogues do well.
From the local leagues I've seen folks experimenting with the new Gengar, and the hottest trade card around seems to be Bannette EX, which is getting teched into quite a few decks that use poison or other counter generation. Another quiet player who shall remain nameless was trading for full flames and is known to own a nasty little Camerupt/Moltres deck that I wouldn't want to run into unprepared.... except with a blastoise deck.

Or a Nice Ludi Deck------ That does sum things up pretty well here--- But I hope for a good turnout for the 15+.

Dustin, Rumor has it Fulop might be there too. So there's more competiton than you'll expect! Too bad this one is still mine :p

The metagame around here changes DAILY...lol. It's crazy, cause you just never know what to expect. But anyway, I think this is gonna be the best tournie KY's ever had, and it's also where I say goodbye to my 11-14 spot. =/

~DM8/James A.

Back