Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Looking for Muk ex counters in BAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am playing BAR at my State Championship on Saturday. I think it will do very well... but I do know one deck that I am severely hurt by... Muk ex... and I know of at least one person in my age group who plays it. Multiple Muks come out extremely fast, making the Warp Point counter idea useless. With my power completely shut off, I lose Firestarter and Energy Draw (as well as Amphy/TA's Manectric's power but that isn't as important to me) and basically lose the game unless the Muk side has absoultely horrible drawing luck. Does anyone know of a good tech to put in BAR to counter Muk ex? I was thinking maybe 1 High Pressure System to get rid of the Low Pressure System and make Muk ex OHKO-able with Volcanic Ash, but I am looking for better ideas? Anyone know something good to tech in? Thanks.

Muk ex was specifically designed to kill any deck using firestarter/energy draw. Only way i can see you killing the whole muk ordeal is to destroy his low-hp grimers :/ Im a muk player myself, and thats the only way i see myself losing to BAR/bex/ray. Once muk EX comes out, your deck comes to a complete halt.

Last edited:
There isnt much you can do, because BAR runs on Poke Powers, Thats why i decided not to play it this saturday.I'd Rather play Swampert Where i can only fear of losing 1 Pok Power. Only thing i can suggest is wobbufett, Not because of his power because that just getes shuit off but because it OHKOS the Muk.Or just manually put energys on quaza And bang pickup your prizes

Here's my take. The question is, will you face the muk ex deck. There are decks like gardy and amphy that give muk fits. If your metagame has these deck, it makes the path to the top 8 harder for the muk ex player. Random decks can beat muk ex @ times. I played muk ex @ the garden city championship and lost on a slow start to a ranom deck and then faced an amphy deck and lost. I won my next 4 but so what. No top 8. If the muk ex player win early and stays @ the top table, it will be a long day for blaze players. So enough of me with the blah blah blah. Here's my advice, play four multi, play ray, and maybe tech in a wobby. Multi with ray can sneak up on a muk ex (3 turns, 3 nrg, multi & 2 fire, 120 damage) and if they stall in building a second you can take it down. Also play warp point or better yet pokemon reversal. Muk ex decks play basics that don't stop powers. If they only play muk ex and no umby, you can often warp/reversal enough to win.

Last edited:
psycodad said:
If they only play muk ex and no umby, you can often warp/reversal enough to win.
The Muk ex decks I've seen play something like 4-4 on the Muk line, 4 Fast Ball, 3 Roselia, 3 Wobb, 4 Sparce, and lots of other stuff to give the deck speed. There aren't that many times when Warp Point would help... they usually have another Muk to pick, thus making the strategy useless.

Misdreavus said:
The Muk ex decks I've seen play something like 4-4 on the Muk line, 4 Fast Ball, 3 Roselia, 3 Wobb, 4 Sparce, and lots of other stuff to give the deck speed. There aren't that many times when Warp Point would help... they usually have another Muk to pick, thus making the strategy useless.

not to mention copycats to catch up to delcatty draw power.

Play reversal then. Even with warp point or reversal, the odds are against you when you face muk with a power driven deck like bar. Oherwise, hope that muk keeps off the top table.

reverals will take up the already valuable deck space needed in BAR. its not as thin as blazex.

Dreavus - if you'd like, plz post up your BAR deck so we could do SLIGHT alterations to counter mukEX

psycodad said:
Play reversal then. Even with warp point or reversal, the odds are against you when you face muk with a power driven deck like bar. Oherwise, hope that muk keeps off the top table.
They get to pick with Reversal too...

Anyway, here is my deck, Gardevoir.

4x Torchic (2x Singe, 2x Dragon)
2x Combusken (Flare)
3x Blaziken (R/S holo... obviously)
1x Blaziken ex
2x Skitty (SS)
2x Delcatty (holo)
2x Team Aqua's Electrike (Self-Charge)
2x Team Aqua's Manectric (holo)
2x Rayquaza ex
4x Dunsparce (SS)

4x Oracle
4x POR
4x TV Reporter
4x Rare Candy
2x Warp Point
1x Town Voulenteers
1x Energy Recycle System (can be VERY helpful at times to return an energy to Energy Draw or to return 3 Lightning)

11x Fire
5x Lightning

Some people are telling me to use Multi/Rainbow for the extra 40 but I'm not so sure about that since it has to be discarded... it's dangerous even with 4 Multi and 3 Rainbow (what I was told to play). Plus, I really don't see anything that I can afford to take out for the Multi/Rainbow (5 Lightning go away for 4 Multi and 1 Rainbow... but what about the other 2 Rainbow?). I am also considering changing all my Torchic to the Singe one... I thought the Dragon version would be my best chance against Shedinja (I usually discard the extra Skitty with TV Reporter), but with Blaze ex, I can just beat up their bench. If Shedinja is all that is left and my field is full with evos, I can actually use Manectric to hurt something on my bench like a Delcatty, and upon its death, play a basic and attack.

Last edited:
Gardevoir said:
Moltres is right. Wake up dreavy ;)
Sorry... I never heard about that. The last thing I heard was that the EXP version let you pick while the R/S version let your opponent pick and that they ruled that you must always play by the most recent copy.

Misdreavus said:
Sorry... I never heard about that. The last thing I heard was that the EXP version let you pick while the R/S version let your opponent pick and that they ruled that you must always play by the most recent copy.

No biggy - hey, about muk ex. What do YOU think you should do? You going to alter the deck in anyway ? Haven't really heard any of your opinions (trainer selection wise).

Last edited:
SuperWooper said:
Counter to Muk ex? Easy.

It's called Blaziken ex.

With how many turns of charging do you need before you actually attack w/o firestarter ? AND if the muk ex player plays low pressure system, then what ? How about if he reverals and succeeds? Too many hypothetical situations that could occur.

Gardevoir said:
No biggy - hey, about muk ex. What do YOU think you should do? You going to alter the deck in anyway ? Haven't really heard any of your opinions (trainer selection wise).
I think the Multi/Rainbows would allow me to KO him faster with all my powers shut off (only 2 energy for 120... 1 less turn can mean all the difference). As far as trainers, I was thinking of Baloon Berry so Ray can last another turn... 40 to Ray, attach, Spiral Growth for at least 1 (hey... you're already running on luck to beat Muk ex anyway...) (or attach Multi/Rainbow). 40 to Ray, attach, Dragon Burst to kill Muk ex. I don't really have any other ideas... that's what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Hypothetical? 12 words = too long.

Anyways, Muk ex is an awful attacker. It'll stay active and do damage for what, 50, 60 a turn? Big deal. Sparce is active. Try to paralyze Muk for a while. At the least, you'll get ten damage on it. WHICH IS ENOUGH TO LET BLAZIKEN EX KO MUK EX.
What if Muk ex doesn't get out second turn? Too hypothetical. I can use your own dictionary words against you! :p
Besides, Muk ex is still a lousy attacker, and the concept of the deck lacks depth. Maybe if you're not a good Blaziken player you'll lose to a Muk deck, but powering up Blaziken ex for four turns shouldn't be hard. KO Muk, and what do they have up. A wobb? KO the bench. They attack? Big deal. The deck outspeeds muk hands down.
If you can't beat Muk ex with a Blaziken deck, you'll have some t-r-u-b-l when GC's and SC's come 'round.

Besides, everybody plays Warp Point in Blaze decks. Oracle for it early, then use it. You should have up about two Blaziken by then. Firestarter onto Blaziken ex, get it powered, and Muk ex is dead meat next turn. Why do you think Blaziken plays Warp Point?

Wooper

Last edited:
Misdreavus said:
Actually, the line is 4-4 on Muk, 4 Rosie, 4 Wobbs, 4 Fast Ball and so on... lol Gee, I wonder who that player could be? ;)

-Swampy

d
SuperWooper said:
Hypothetical? 12 words = too long.

Anyways, Muk ex is an awful attacker. It'll stay active and do damage for what, 50, 60 a turn? Big deal. Sparce is active. Try to paralyze Muk for a while. At the least, you'll get ten damage on it. WHICH IS ENOUGH TO LET BLAZIKEN EX KO MUK EX.
What if Muk ex doesn't get out second turn? Too hypothetical. I can use your own dictionary words against you! :p
Besides, Muk ex is still a lousy attacker, and the concept of the deck lacks depth. Maybe if you're not a good Blaziken player you'll lose to a Muk deck, but powering up Blaziken ex for four turns shouldn't be hard. KO Muk, and what do they have up. A wobb? KO the bench. They attack? Big deal. The deck outspeeds muk hands down.
If you can't beat Muk ex with a Blaziken deck, you'll have some t-r-u-b-l when GC's and SC's come 'round.

Besides, everybody plays Warp Point in Blaze decks. Oracle for it early, then use it. You should have up about two Blaziken by then. Firestarter onto Blaziken ex, get it powered, and Muk ex is dead meat next turn. Why do you think Blaziken plays Warp Point?

Wooper
It's not THAT bad an attacker, and it OHKO's sparce... 2 turn KO on Blaze and 3 on Bex. I'd be happy to repost my Speedy Muk Beatdown if u'd like, but I think you'll find that what psychodad said earlier is the truth... lol Didn't mean to show u up, but have u actually played or been played by a descent Muk varient? Well, that may be the reason for ur "Hypothetical" statements, but I dunno. We can argue this out on AIM l8er. FYI, I've beaten some of the best players in the game w/ my Muk deck who shall remain nameless unless they want to have their names mentioned *coughghermscough* lol And as for the "10 dmg on sparce" thing, that's why u run 4 Moo-moo/Potion...
-Swampy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back