Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Martin Moreno - A Propisition for a Younger Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

It has come to my attention that the quality of the people/posts on the Pokegym forum are at an all time low. Yes, I am serious. If you go back to when this forum first started you had a staff that played the game on a competitive level, or atleast most of them did. Now, I really question the credibility of such staff here. I really don't feel comfortable posting on a forum that is ran by people over double my age and not even remotely near my level of expertise in the Pokemon Trading Card Game. Yes, we have some younger moderators, but I don't think that's good enough. The biased that is constantly showed to us Professional Pokemon players by the disgruntled staff is why secret forums are getting more popular, and the deck articles that are on this forum are as helpful for the average Pokemon Player as a Zelda strategy guide.

The best players in this game don't suffer from a disease of chosen exclusion. The best choose not to spill their guts here because there is no support for them from the staff. The fact that someone is sitting behind their computer drinking ensure and smircking as they delete a thought out post by a proven champion while thinking they are doing something for the game sickens me. Who are you people? Who do you people think you are? Do you understand that through such actions decks like Stantler are getting popular? How do you sleep with that on your conscience? What we really need to do is revamp this forum. Quantity does not mean quality. As you make the Pokemon Gym's 9,000th member appreciation post you have big names electing not to post here and go write for Pojo.com for free just so they can be heard. People want to share the knowledge, but the degrading way the staff acts is tearing our talent apart. You claim to be the games largest community, but it's funny how the games World Champion chooses to not even recongize this place's existance. I really don't want to either, but there's quite a few good people hanging in there, and for them, I am speaking up.

I Propose we elect a new Administrator for the Pokegym forum. I say, we have a younger, accomplished Administator that will look out for the best interest of the quality of the Pokegym. You have staff that will idle by 24/7 itching to use the no no face. Are we using this properly? Or are we just trying to stick it to those DaFanTe brats? As a person inspired by buisness, I feel such questions should be raised. If nothing is done soon, I really do see the demise of the Pokegym coming. What if such a person did come along and make the next big thing? What will this staff do? Who will they have to no no face? Let's sit back and think about it.

I propose Kyle Sucevich for Admin.

the mods are cool except for one and we all know who that is, DUN DUN DUN.....

but really some younger blood would be cool.

By the way, I think you mean Global Mod.
Admin is either part owner of the site or programmer.
Also, whoever you think should get such a modship would have to be willing to spend hours and hours on the board doing the crap work you are complaining about being done.
Sorry, but that's the job description.
Not doing it is just getting a title. Worthless.

The problem is not with the Moderators really, it's like a staff. Your lower management is a relfection of upper management. If you don't like a way a particular mod is behaving, that moderators superior would be the one to be held accountable. That's why you look towards Administrators. We have one in the form of PokePop who wants to listen, so if there are any changes the community as a whole would like to see, this would be a good podium to sound off.

Maybe this should be moved to the Random Topic forum. Doesn't sound like news .... or gossip to me.

Eh, it could go in either.

Another thing to consider:
Pojo's Pokemon forums are pretty dead. Sure, some people post some articles on their main site, but they don't support the forums there, either.
Also, Pojo is not a major Pokemon player. I don't think he's played more that a couple of times in the last 4 years. So being a great player doesn't seem to be the admin/mod skill you're looking for..\

Eh, it could go in either.

Another thing to consider:
Pojo's Pokemon forums are pretty dead. Sure, some people post some articles on their main site, but they don't support the forums there, either.
Also, Pojo is not a major Pokemon player. I don't think he's played more that a couple of times in the last 4 years. So being a great player doesn't seem to be the admin/mod skill you're looking for..\

He dosen't personally run the Pokemon portion of the site. I used to write for it, and even way back when he had someone else post the material up. The articles here are similar to Pojo, but the Pokegym is a bit more of an interactive venue through featured content. Dead? Activity dosen't always mean longivity. Pokegym being the prime example. You have a gold mine for talent here if you guys don't isolate the stronger players to help the up and coming ones. There are a lot of hungry players here, and the Pokegym "protecting them" from edgy content is also going to make them quit when they cant top 8 Crystal Lake City Championships only because that top player who would of posted an article got told to go back where they came from.

Sticking with the Pojo analogy:
He has an admin for posting things up, sure. That guy is not involved in Pokemon at all though. He does computer stuff.
The analogous person at Pojo to compare a Global Mod to would be WildWill.
Now, I've been staff on the Pojo site for 6 years or so.
Say what you will about harshness on our boards, but people get banned on the Pojo boards a lot more and a lot faster than they do here.
Case in point. This topic right here would be grounds for you getting perma banned on the Pojo boards.
That's a fact.

And if you think we think having one or two "PokeGym protest" sites is a big deal to us, you have no idea how many "Pojo protest" sites or "WotC protest" sites are out there that we see and hear about as mods for those site.
It really not as big a deal as you guys think it is.

I think the issue with Martin's post (besides being a joke) is that he does not understand what the Gym is.

The Gym is a forum, for Pokemon.

The mods don't have to know anything about Pokemon, besides being able to recognize something ridiculous as spam and not a serious post.

They make sure randoms don't come in and spam, they keep the boards clean, and they end arguments.

That's all.

Really has nothing to do with Pokemon.

The Pokemon articles are usually written by players. I've looked at one or two and I think they're fine. If you don't like them...submit your own.

While there could be one mod/admin/thing that I feel is a little trigger happy with the nono face, most of them are either nice older members just trying to help out. Sure, not the top tier players, but why do they have to be? They don't. Honestly I picture most of them reading some posts by people and rolling their eyes before locking, not getting any enjoyment out of it.

So yeaaaah.

Martin, while I love Pooka, I personally don't think he wants to spend his time making sure PKMNMalevolent does not bump his topic too many times in one day, :nonono:

Edit: Also, the mods don't isolate good players because they're good. They isolate them for being wastes of life. Rulemaster for example, I don't think I've seen him post anything much more than "sounds like sour grapes to me." Good player (I think he's the one that got 2nd @ Nats with Pooka's deck, right?). But he doesn't contribute anything to the gym, so who cares if he's isolated.

I remember a few months ago, 'Pop created a thread asking for more article writers, and eventually conceded that a person who writes enough articles might be made a mod.

So here's my idea and a continuation of that thought.

There should be a category of staff known as "Article Writers" (or something like that) who have all the powers of a Global Mod, but slightly less say in policy. In order to get the position, they must get x number of articles published on Pokegym, and to keep the position, they must keep submitting articles at a certain rate (say, 1 per month).

Pokegym gets more top-quality articles for the homepage, and people willing to deal with the spam and crap that mods have to put up with.

The members get a place with more discussion, better quality discussion, and they even have a chance of becoming a mod on the biggest Pokemon community on the internet.

Everyone wins.

I used to be a moderator for the Pojo forums. I was for a year. I also was the head administrator for Pojo's mirc Pokemon - Dragonball Z - Yugioh channels for 3 years as well. I know what it's like to hold responsibility, and I know what the grounds for bannings are. You don't agree that the majority of this forum feels it's time for a change? Maybe the staff dosen't think so, but if you would like to keep the opportunity to have all these people to boss around on this ant farm, let's try to make the customers a little happier no? Why not try to bridge the gap between old angry staff and young upcoming talent?

As a whole, Pokegym usually will be the first forum new players will see. I can easily say we all agree on that. When they sign up only to see the name they recongize from the Pokemon-TCG site as a current champion, be excluded publically what encouragement is that to strive to be the best? Who wants to look forward to someone their Dad's age telling them they don't meet the criteria to post on a forum based on a JAPANESE CHILDRENS TRADING CARD GAME. Some of the best players act awful, however, I feel this only happens when provoked, and it happens more time than not.

If Pooka became the main Administrator for this forum, would he know how to solve problems with the coding of this forum, or how to unlock avatars to be uploaded on avatar day?

To me, this doesn't seem to be a problem with the forum operators, but more with the forum moderators/admins whose main job is to police the forum and keep it clean and tidy; These mods/admins are accused of being biased against certain members and deleting constructive posts because they personally don't like the poster.

I understand what Martin is trying to say. This forum isn't run by players for players, but rather run by elders (no age intended) intended for all. What happens though is that a large portion of the people who once came to this forum were teenagers-young adults who were only truly interested in constructive, lively discussions about Pokemon TCG.

It's kind of like the father and two sons. he only has one apple, so he tries to give an equal portion to each child, but half of the apple isn't enough for either son.

I don't know if any changes could be made to fix this problem.

I remember a few months ago, 'Pop created a thread asking for more article writers, and eventually conceded that a person who writes enough articles might be made a mod.

Yes, and that was a great start. The question is, how can we get the best fitting people for those positions willing to take the time to do it? It isn't difficult as I see a lot of good players writing at Pojo. Steven Silvestro and Raichu88 to name a couple (GO EUROPE).

I think the issue with Martin's post (besides being a joke) is that he does not understand what the Gym is.

The Gym is a forum, for Pokemon.

The mods don't have to know anything about Pokemon

Your right, Through that logic, if you are the CEO of a Marlboro you don't need to know what tobacco is.

Last edited:

So here's my idea and a continuation of that thought.

There should be a category of staff known as "Article Writers" (or something like that) who have all the powers of a Global Mod, but slightly less say in policy. In order to get the position, they must get x number of articles published on Pokegym, and to keep the position, they must keep submitting articles at a certain rate (say, 1 per month).

Pokegym gets more top-quality articles for the homepage, and people willing to deal with the spam and crap that mods have to put up with.

The members get a place with more discussion, better quality discussion, and they even have a chance of becoming a mod on the biggest Pokemon community on the internet.

Everyone wins.
just want to be a "article writer" because you make tons of articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back