Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

(MODs: Lock) When to Play that Secret Deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fchangus2

This idea came to me as I was reading through other threads about the escalation in competitiveness in Pokemon and the degrading in collaboration across the community as oppose to individual factions and teams.

Here's a hypothetical question, say you come up with a secret deck that breaks the format. Let's say, just for argument's sake of this thread, that the deck (and the player) is actually good enough to top-cut at US Nationals. To maximize your ratings to get to Worlds, when would you debut this deck?

Do you play it at CCs to try and perfect the deck at the risk of letting the cat out of the bag (and thus losing the surprise factor at bigger tourneys)?

Do you save the deck for larger tourneys such as States or Regionals?

Or do you take it to Nationals (by the way, is Nationals invites-only this year) to maximize your ratings?

Discuss.

Last edited:
Anyone can go to Nationals this year. Diamond and Pearl will be out by then so if your secret deck does not have them in it I would play it at States or Battle Roads or regionals. I tested my secret deck at league but it did not do to well so back in the binder it goes for now.

you're assuming that D&P will be part of the format, isn't that still up in the air?

David's Confused Pokedad said:
Anyone can go to Nationals this year. Diamond and Pearl will be out by then so if your secret deck does not have them in it I would play it at States or Battle Roads or regionals. I tested my secret deck at league but it did not do to well so back in the binder it goes for now.

fchangus2 said:
you're assuming that D&P will be part of the format, isn't that still up in the air?

I feel that it won't, others don't but as far as right now there is no proof one way or the other

Most Decks that are consider to "break the format" are only good during a 3 month period and then another set comes out, and either it makes it stronger, or kills it. A good example of both is SMP during Cities and BLS the whole format last yr.
JMO,
Drew

you know when you play an SD, when you feel like you have a good chance of winning/feel comfortable playing the deck and you know the matchups.
Example: I had an SD make its debut last weekend and it got Top 8

ninetales1234 said:
As early as you can, because if you don't, someone else will play it before you do.
Agreed. I always try to come up with a deck that I don't think anyone else at the Oregon leagues is playing. This season, I tried using Kingler d deck with Pelliper d. I know, it sounds like one of those decks that shouldn't win anything, but suprisingly, I made top 8 in the last CC I went to. The sooner these secrete decks make their appearances, the better... well for the people who's playing them at least.:biggrin:

Put it this way: If you don't play your secret deck, you run the risk of someone else thinking up and using it and getting the credit.

Three may keep a secret if two are dead. :wink:

Ahhh but if you use a non secret deck no one will expect it because everyone else will be using secret deck:thumb: :wink:

well there will prolly be 2 new sets before nats...there will be 1 before states, so you secret deck will be useless because the game shifts every set release. Look at the metagame before delta species. after that set came out LBS was born. so use it now, because the k value is so important. you cant afford to not win games this year. so your secret deck will prolly be useless by time nats come.

example: i had 4 strong decks built for cities, then flygon d ex came out and wreaked everyone of them, now i have 4 brand new decks... so id use it as soon as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back