Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

music

Porii Sames

So sick and tired of how little good music actually gets made these days...and how little of it is actually noticed...

wish i could just go back to when they actually thought about what they sung and played.

tbh rap is the worst atm. like, what do we have now? pop eminem? lil wayne? drake? and nigh everybody that was good years ago (the game, nas, eminem, etc.) is shaky now...

so i guess...just discuss music.....

sounds like you are just getting older Porii- it is your ear drums changing like your taste buds do with aging :p

There is millennia of fantastic music available, it's just a little harder to find than the common crappy music. But when you find it, it's all the more rewarding.

Foster The People. The rest of thier album is better then Pumped Up Kicks in my opinion.
Posted with Mobile style...

Seriously. I despise most pop music except Coldplay.

I mainly listen to alternative rock, indie rock, emo, and shoegazer. Specifically stuff like Starflyer 59, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Foo Fighters, Sunny Day Real Estate, Smashing Pumpkins...

i like being different.

I'm also sick of how few people like bands I love. Starlfyer 59 for instance. Ridiculously skilled, 12 albums, 2 compilation albums, 6+ eps, since 1993. So ridiculously amazing stuff. The only time I find people to talk about it with is forums specifically for the band. It's insane.

I like rap enough, but people laugh at me for not liking pop music. Sorry guys, I believe music takes skill, unlike all this crap you hear on the radio.

I'm a drummer (5+ years) and a bassist (2+ years) by the way. Play in an intermediate concert band and an intermediate jazz band for school.

</rant>

Last edited:
I can't stand rap much at all, and I'm not one for pop either. My music tastes have broadened quite a bit from what they were, I will say that much. I used to be into hard rock/"Metal" (Slipknot, Mudvayne, etc), and now I can say that I've matured and gotten into some really worthwhile material. It happens, and I agree with Benzo. The older you get, the more mature sounding material you get into.

I'm into real metal. I pretty much dabble in all sorts of metal genres, from Progressive Metal, to Black Metal, and pretty much everything in between. As well, I'm into progressive rock and Post-Rock. I also like shoegaze, I just haven't given bands out of the genre as much attention as I would've liked.

I don't know what all you're into, but look into some Post-Rock like Tides of Nebula. It's so relaxing, and just all around incredible. Not hard to get into by any means, imo.

drake sucks, listen to any of the rappers i mentioned if you want to hear someone better. or ll cool j, busta rhymes...anyways

im not a pop fan at all - coldplay is pretty good tho, i like them alright. barkjon know wat he talkin about.

haha benzo hit the nail on the head, i wish i was born 10, 15 years earlier so the stuff i listened to would actually be what most people did...

overall im not saying that there's no good music, just very little and the little good music there is i could just go find better older music most of the time...

example: most modern indie rock, i could just go put on modest mouse's older stuff and get a better effect.

Have to say that i'm not a rap fan and my sister and cousins are in a way surprised about that. Music for me is nice, the beats are really nice, but when it gets down to the lyrics is a deciding point for me. The music can have amazing beats and what not, but for me if the lyrics are dirty as dirt I won't attempt to download that song.

I've always been a fan of heavy metal (mostly alternative stuff), Rhythm Guitarist for two years, lately here's some stuff I've been listening to:

"Toxicity" -- System of a Down
System of a Down is way out there. I think they are about as alternative as you can get. With odd tempos and time signatures and some even crazier sounds, they are definitely their own act, and they follow the beat of their own drummer so to speak.

"Don't Break the Oath" -- Mercyful Fate
While they might sound a little cheesy in the 2010's, they were unlike many before them and provided a background of musical possibilities for modern Thrash metal and even some slightly more commercial variants of black metal. With almost annoyingly high-pitched vocals and hellish riffs that would satisfy even the most hardcore death metal fan out there, Mercyful Fate is a musical seventh wonder.

"Paranoid" -- Black Sabbath
The basis of all modern metal. The heaviest thing during its time, Black Sabbath continues to be heard in not just metal, but other genres as well. Every metal performer was inspired (and probably stole some licks from) by Black Sabbath. Even Eminem sampled part of a Black Sabbath song, "Changes", for one of his albums. The basis of modern metal, "Paranoid" was ahead of its time. This album is filled with doom-imbued lyrics, eery vocal melodies, the heaviest rhythm and bass guitar work, excellent drumming, and short but powerful solo lines. If you don't own this album, you haven't heard music.

Starflyer 59 are pretty good I guess.

Early Modest Mouse is just as derivative (of 80s indie) as modern indie rock is.

And Coldplay suck. Everyone knows that.

I would start sounding like a hipster if i started listing off bands, because none of you would have ever heard of them.

Starflyer 59 are pretty good I guess.

Yep. Took me a while to really get into them, but now SF59 is my favorite band by far. The runnerup would be Radiohead.

I'm so grateful to have grown up in Seattle, the area in which so many good bands have their roots: Nirvana, Modest Mouse, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Built to Spil, Sunny Day Real Estatel... awesomeness.

The only thing I dislike about listening to the music I do is that my friends only listen to pop, rap, and techno... lol... so I usually can't have music discussions with them.

I don't think the problem with music is that a lot of the songs being released are bad, but the fact that so many people don't appreciate and understand music, anything simple with a catchy tune can outsell someone much more talented who puts a lot of effort into their work.

I guess for good rap if anyone cares, look up some Tupac songs that really hit the heart...Letter 2 my Unborn Child, Keep Ya Head Up, Brenda's Got a Baby, Dear Mama, etc.

mainly directed at sceptile.

I think it has alot to do with Record Labels and Companies behind the Artists sacrificing quality for quantity meaning they only care about getting money off of music regardless If the Artist is making bad music or not. It's not that people's taste in music has changed, it's been recent artists and their producers making music for a specific age demographic that is completely flawed and not ideal to the average American citizen.

Rock and Roll among other music genres in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's did appeal to almost everyone of all ages. Nowadays If you want to find good music you have to search for it online or at a flea market. You also take into the fact that the reason why we could be seeing a decline in good music is because of Internet Piracy, Music Artists aren't getting paid to produce good music so they refuse to write and produce good music even though If they did nowadays they wouldn't make any money out of it. The money is just not there for them via electronic commerce.

If they can bridge that gap for e-commerce maybe they can get paid for it, iTunes tried doing it with not much success I'm afraid including the Microsoft Zune. Most Good Music Artists have already gone underground to produce their stuff instead of using a mainstream record label to get their music out in the open. They probably know artists like Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and the Black Eyed Peas are going mainstream with their music but the Underground Bands are trying to be cool by not following that route. I don't know If it's apart of the Hipster Movement going on nowadays or If I'm behind the times...

I'm an old school metal fan. I know the "community" gets a bit of a bad rap (geddit), but its always nice to go to gigs and just immerse yourself in the music. I went through the tween metal faze (Slipknot, BFMV, Killswitch, Disturbed etc.). While I don't listen to them as much, its still nice to go back occasionally. MASSIVE heavy/thrash metal fan. Slayer <3. Megadeth, Sabbath, Maiden etc. All amazing. Also there's a local band around here called Taberah which i'm quite a fan of.

I also love listening to classical music. Its simply incredible and such a shame interest has declined so much.

My latest hook is Proggresive Rock/Metal. I still love listening to Dream Theater. Pink Floyd are gods. That's all there is to it. Queensryche are a little different. But my favourite at the moment is Porcupine Tree. It is such a shame no one has heard of these guys. Their music is so meaningful. It's complicated, without being inaccessible. They have beautiful songs such as Lazarus and Trains, but then also some really funky and cool, yet meaningful stuff, like pretty well all of the Fear of a Blank Planet album.

I don't have a problem with Pop in generally. It's just today there is NO TALENT. Occasionally we get some good singers, but the music is just not well written. It's boring. You find local "pop" acts or whatever, and they can actually sound really good. They got the point of catchy and easy without it being boring and commercial. Local live shows all the way :)

Not all rap is bad but what's being shown in the media (to me) it's downgrading. I was just listening to the lyrics of some and the song was some vulgar inappropriate about some one else

drake sucks, listen to any of the rappers i mentioned if you want to hear someone better. or ll cool j, busta rhymes...anyways

im not a pop fan at all - coldplay is pretty good tho, i like them alright. barkjon know wat he talkin about.

haha benzo hit the nail on the head, i wish i was born 10, 15 years earlier so the stuff i listened to would actually be what most people did...

overall im not saying that there's no good music, just very little and the little good music there is i could just go find better older music most of the time...

example: most modern indie rock, i could just go put on modest mouse's older stuff and get a better effect.

LOL

you say Drake sucks, but yet you say LL Cool J is better...

so you're telling me "Mama Said Knock You Out" was an amazing single compared to anything Drake has done? LOL.

Drake is great -- he can rap, sing & write lyrics like a madman. I think THAT alone takes skill. Just because you like Modest Mouse and Coldplay :)lol:) doesn't mean that a genre you don't like is anything less than what you do like. Skill and talent come in all forms and variations. Someone who goes "I lovezz me sum Ozzy and Slipknot yeaaahhhhhh!!" 99% of the time isn't going to enjoy artists like Musiq, Drake, Wale, etc. because they are vastly different -- doesn't make yours any better than theirs. You're just two different people who like two different types of music.

For instance, one of the most underrated bands I know is Thursday. You put on "Full Collapse" and I could put it on repeat the rest of my life. Granted, not every album has been 10/10, but there is no denying their abilities and talents. Would a hardcore Lil' Wayne fan enjoy them? Maybe not. But it doesn't make my band any less talented because of it. You catch my drift?

Music today is about moneyyyy. If 5,000,000 people like to dance and sing along to poppy stuff, and 10,000 other people like something 'talented' and 'skillful,' what do you think the radio and tv are going to play? 9/10 people would rather see Lady Gaga over Dream Theater. Or Britney over Radiohead. Or Maroon 5 over Thrice. It is what it is...money is what makes the world go roundddd.

Back