Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Nationals new players/younger players (ripping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeChump

I'm not sure how it goes down at Nationals about this but here is what I think, my opinion only.

I wanted to make this thread to put a emphasis on something I've seen happen at every single Battle Roads I've been to, there is always a time where a younger kid or new player asks for a trade from a older teen/adult and it comes to my attention that some times the trades they give them are horrible on the new players/younger kids part because I am one that pays attention to that stuff because I go around to new/younger players and help them with the game, give them accurate values, example trades on what to do and what not to do, and I've given a good chunk of cards away to help there decks and such. One thing I will not let happen is a grown adult ripping off a little kid or someone that has just got into the game, if that younger kid/new player has a Gengar prime, and you (the older/veteran player) (Example) sees that he is interested in a couple cards you have a lets say a couple common/uncommon and a set of holo Krookidile, you have a couple choices, if you know there new or there kids that don't know, you can (A) Educate them, tell them what there asking for, even up the trade. or (B) You can let the kid/new player get ripped off by you and everyone else that seems fit enough to do it, because you or the person before didn't care to educate him/her.

Point is, if I'm at Nationals (I will be) and there is a little kid/new player (Most the time you can easily tell) and there pretty much getting thrown for a loop by someone twice there age and someone that's been in the game doing the same crap over again. It won't happen, point blank, no drama, just a simple walk up and say (You know what your doing, you know whats right) then if he/she decides to still continue on with it, I could do a quick Poke Class to the young/new player and give them a run down on whats going to happen, not that it may matter to them, or the person ripping them off, but for the ones that would/do understand it'll be another player we have in the community that can pass on the knowledge and make this game 10x better.

I am not including everyone in this post, to the ones that understand, you'll know what its about.

So when your at Nationals, you've read this, give it some thought. You wouldn't want someone to do that to your sibling or relative, or to yourself.

I know this happens in every card game.

(Off topic) Watch your language around the little ones also.

If you are a younger player/new player (or any other) and you have any questions all you have to do is give me a PM.

Last edited:
See, here is the thing. You can look up card values to know how to rip them off. They can look up card values to know how to not get ripped off. Not that hard

See, here is the thing. You can look up card values to know how to rip them off. They can look up card values to know how to not get ripped off. Not that hard

See, here is the thing, a lot of them don't have access to the Internet, or even know how to find accurate values, POINT IS, if your willing to rip someone off like that, then your no better then a thief, if your trading with a guy that's like 25-26 that would probably know his values and he gives you a ideal trade in your part go for it, but if there Junior type players, or in the teen age and brand new to the game why are you going to prolong them getting decent cards because your ripping them off and giving them crap that can't be used? Don't act like you don't know what I'm trying to get across to people.

Something to think about:

Sometimes the younger less competitive players don't care what things are worth. I've seen kids trade for much lower valued cards and been perfectly happy because they got something they wanted. I remember several people trying to get a kid to trade back for his something LV. X for the tin Arceus LV. X he had gotten and he was noticeable uncomfortable. I just walked over, asked him if he was happy with what he got and he just smiled and excitedly showed me what he got and ran off and I don't see anything wrong with that. It goes both ways too, I traded a kid way more than I should have for something he had and he came back to me later wanting to trade back because the beat up Gyarados he traded me did more damage. It isn't always about dollars and cents, sometimes these kids are just happy with something shiny and I don't see why we should turn it into an accounting lesson and take that away from them.

^ Agree

It isn't always about the price of cards on some website.

It's about how people value their cards. Like most players I will trade over the top in money terms to get cards I need for a deck. Some kids would never part with their Arceus LV X for a handful of boring Collectors and pathetic Cleffas.

Ripping off is wrong (obviously), but be very careful before you set yourself up as the trading police. People might not welcome it as much as you think.

Sure they can be happy. But that's just because they don't know value. If your son was trading half of his cards away for a reverse Wailord just because it's shiny and has 200HP, would you do anything about it?
Now, I'm okay if the trades aren't done summing up cents based on eBay completed auctions. But I do feel it's wrong to completely rip them off, depleting them of the small card resources they have.
I usually give away "too much" when trading with kids, letting them grab a few cards extra even if they were happy already, and even if the trade was equal according to ebay too. Makes the kids extra happy, makes me feel good inside, gives the kids better resources.
Posted with Mobile style...

If you as an adult are trading with a child, ask yourself how it would appear to the parent that is likely paying for all the cards. If you would be uncomfortable explaining yourself to the parent, you should reconsider the trade.

^ Agree

It isn't always about the price of cards on some website.

It's about how people value their cards. Like most players I will trade over the top in money terms to get cards I need for a deck. Some kids would never part with their Arceus LV X for a handful of boring Collectors and pathetic Cleffas.

Ripping off is wrong (obviously), but be very careful before you set yourself up as the trading police. People might not welcome it as much as you think.

I will reply to both above posts from the quoted and Alex, Sure they can be happy, and if they feel its that important for them to be happy then its fine in other words, but this topic doesn't pertain to just the younger player base, it also has to do with young/teen/ maybe older that are new and wouldn't know as much as the younger player that has played a little, you can try to give them some common knowledge that someone that's been in the game for a good while knows, and see what happens after, no one will force him not to trade, just make sure he has better insight on what hes about to do.

Baby Mario, Of course it doesn't always come down to value, I brought it up with the other post because that's what was brought up in his statement, and if your telling them the difference and it seems that all they want is a happy trade, then they have all the right to do what makes them happy.

Also to the trading police thing, I know its just a card game, and I'm not trying to act like anything but myself and a good honest trader/player, but still think again, if your little brother or sister (Example) were trading some decent cards off for trash cards and you knew the difference I doubt you'd let it happen.

---------- Post added 06/19/2011 at 06:40 PM ----------

Sure they can be happy. But that's just because they don't know value. If your son was trading half of his cards away for a reverse Wailord just because it's shiny and has 200HP, would you do anything about it?
Now, I'm okay if the trades aren't done summing up cents based on eBay completed auctions. But I do feel it's wrong to completely rip them off, depleting them of the small card resources they have.
I usually give away "too much" when trading with kids, letting them grab a few cards extra even if they were happy already, and even if the trade was equal according to ebay too. Makes the kids extra happy, makes me feel good inside, gives the kids better resources.
Posted with Mobile style...

Exactly, why take everything they have? Your taking the advantage of someone less fortunate in terms, how will they progress any in the game? Without spending twice as much as they would of if they still had the cards they could have used or enjoyed having.

---------- Post added 06/19/2011 at 06:46 PM ----------

If you as an adult are trading with a child, ask yourself how it would appear to the parent that is likely paying for all the cards. If you would be uncomfortable explaining yourself to the parent, you should reconsider the trade.

Again, exactly, and I'm sure some of these parents know what is decent and what isn't from word of mouth or doing research about what there child has. There putting there money (Not trying to get into values) into the game, but having someone else take advantage that there kid is new or just to young to actually know the difference, I've been to BRs and these kids are probably 7 or 8 maybe younger, but still you can't expect a 7 or 8 year old to know what they have could be decent enough to keep or make a deck out of. Most deals I do with younger kids (I don't do many)(Its mostly when a kid asks for a trade from me) I'm in front of the parents explaining what I'm giving to them, I make sure I can get as even between trades as I can, and if both are pleased then that's that.

Last edited:
At Nationals, I'll agree with you that the numbers of kids around might suggest it's open prey for something like this... But I'll be honest with you - you'd be surprised as to how many Poke-Parents / 20-ish players will step up and interject if they even hear of a trade going on... Maybe I was just spoiled in the past with the group/area I played in, but I saw enough "protection" of the young ones at PreReleases, League, etc... that crazy offers were usually surrounded and defused before they started.

And the side note.... Language. Tougher to control in current times.... But AGAIN, usually controlled and punished in the Stellar Poke-Community... Saw the biggest man in the room by far get tossed from a City Championship in Round 1 for letting a bad word exit his chops.... Couple Poke Dads looked itchy and some Poke Mama's were ready to pounce... But the TO had him out the door walking the pavement within seconds.... That's what I'm talkin about....

But...tbh, will it really matter to the kids?

I know I was ripped off when I was younger, but for cards back then for people who wanted to do well in tourneys. I;ve sold 1 card so far (Luxray X), and generally, if a 18 year old tournament goer wants an 8 year old's Collector Playset, it will be more important to the 18 year old, and the 2 Arceus X to the kid will be more important. We'll all float on.

At Nationals, I'll agree with you that the numbers of kids around might suggest it's open prey for something like this... But I'll be honest with you - you'd be surprised as to how many Poke-Parents / 20-ish players will step up and interject if they even hear of a trade going on... Maybe I was just spoiled in the past with the group/area I played in, but I saw enough "protection" of the young ones at PreReleases, League, etc... that crazy offers were usually surrounded and defused before they started.

And the side note.... Language. Tougher to control in current times.... But AGAIN, usually controlled and punished in the Stellar Poke-Community... Saw the biggest man in the room by far get tossed from a City Championship in Round 1 for letting a bad word exit his chops.... Couple Poke Dads looked itchy and some Poke Mama's were ready to pounce... But the TO had him out the door walking the pavement within seconds.... That's what I'm talkin about....

I'll agree with you, and that's a good thing. I'm happy there's multitudes of people that look out for the New/Fresh parts of the community/game. The thread is directed both at people that are against it and the people that do it, you can either stop it from happening if it gets to that point, or you can let it happen long as everything is in good standing and everyone is happy. Its just for the sake of others. Also to the new older players that don't plan to be around there parents but should still no the dangers of a huge event like this or any other event where masses of people meet.

---------- Post added 06/19/2011 at 08:49 PM ----------

But...tbh, will it really matter to the kids?

I know I was ripped off when I was younger, but for cards back then for people who wanted to do well in tourneys. I;ve sold 1 card so far (Luxray X), and generally, if a 18 year old tournament goer wants an 8 year old's Collector Playset, it will be more important to the 18 year old, and the 2 Arceus X to the kid will be more important. We'll all float on.

Both agree and disagree, its more likely that the kid doesn't know the full use of Pokemon Collector and seems to think Arceus is cool and a must have, but its not hard to pass some knowledge to let him/her know what the cards actually do and the use to them, if he/she still wants to go threw and everyone is in good standing that's your choice, but you still know your getting one up over on him/her. Including that if a fair trade was brought up for the Collectors the younger player would get much more then they were going to get from your 2 Arceus.

So... You are telling me it is wrong to trade a solrock TR for a gengar Prime? I let the kid make me an offer. That is what they wanted. I consider it rude for people to be interrupting trades, and as far as I am concerned People should stay out of my business no batter how bad of a deal it is. If the kid wants to make a trade, let him make it. Its a good life lesson.

So... You are telling me it is wrong to trade a solrock TR for a gengar Prime? I let the kid make me an offer. That is what they wanted. I consider it rude for people to be interrupting trades, and as far as I am concerned People should stay out of my business no batter how bad of a deal it is. If the kid wants to make a trade, let him make it. Its a good life lesson.

YES it is wrong because if he chooses it and you're like yes! SCORE! Not wanting to tell them whats actually going on, trying to share accurate knowledge. See you're the type of person everyone should avoid at Nationals! Or any League/Tournament for that matter, this topic is pointed to the younger player base/ new player base, and if all you do is purposely try to take advantage of all the younger / new players just so you get what you want without having to actually trade for it or to make your collection or deck better you're pretty much a thief...

I am not a thief.. And I take advantage of anyone I trade with for the most part. Not just new players.. I am very good at it. And I am still a teen myself, so I really see nothing wrong with this

YES it is wrong because if he chooses it and you're like yes! SCORE! Not wanting to tell them whats actually going on, trying to share accurate knowledge. See you're the type of person everyone should avoid at Nationals! Or any League/Tournament for that matter, this topic is pointed to the younger player base/ new player base, and if all you do is purposely try to take advantage of all the younger / new players just so you get what you want without having to actually trade for it or to make your collection or deck better you're pretty much a thief...

And you're the type of person no one likes because you act like you are so much better than everyone because you will be monitoring people's trades. Get off your high horse little kids don't care about the value of cards they just want the card they want. If a little kid agrees to a trade then he agrees to it. He isn't being a thief he is just trying to trade. I know i have ripped people off, and also been ripped off. It happens all the time and it isn't that big of a deal. It's a card game. I am willing to bet if you go up to a little kid and say you're getting ripped off 9 out of 10 times that kid will say he won't care or the older kid will say thats what he is agreeing to if he wants more cards i offered. No person tries to intentionally rip little kids off. It just happens because little kids don't really care about money.

I am not a thief.. And I take advantage of anyone I trade with for the most part. Not just new players.. I am very good at it. And I am still a teen myself, so I really see nothing wrong with this

Do as you will to older adults that should know, but not kids/ or new players that don't know enough about the game, and good for you... Lets say I wanted to trade my Chansey Prime for your RDL, You'd clearly say no, knowing that RDL is more sought after in this current format and holds more value in terms of cards. It doesn't give you the right to do the same thing to someone else that doesn't know, because if did that to you or to a friend/family member of yours you wouldn't be happy and would probably bring it to my attention that what I did was wrong. It'll all catch up to you though, you'll get marked as the person that tries or does rip everyone off, no one will want to trade with you. That's how it is at my league/store we'll have certain people taking advantage of others just because they know they can and the other person there trading with doesn't know whats going on. So what usually happens is that person will be seen as the one no one should trade with because all he/she does is rip people off every trade.

Both agree and disagree, its more likely that the kid doesn't know the full use of Pokemon Collector and seems to think Arceus is cool and a must have, but its not hard to pass some knowledge to let him/her know what the cards actually do and the use to them, if he/she still wants to go threw and everyone is in good standing that's your choice, but you still know your getting one up over on him/her. Including that if a fair trade was brought up for the Collectors the younger player would get much more then they were going to get from your 2 Arceus.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across.

Do as you will to older adults that should know, but not kids/ or new players that don't know enough about the game, and good for you... Lets say I wanted to trade my Chansey Prime for your RDL, You'd clearly say no, knowing that RDL is more sought after in this current format and holds more value in terms of cards. It doesn't give you the right to do the same thing to someone else that doesn't know, because if did that to you or to a friend/family member of yours you wouldn't be happy and would probably bring it to my attention that what I did was wrong. It'll all catch up to you though, you'll get marked as the person that tries or does rip everyone off, no one will want to trade with you. That's how it is at my league/store we'll have certain people taking advantage of others just because they know they can and the other person there trading with doesn't know whats going on. So what usually happens is that person will be seen as the one no one should trade with because all he/she does is rip people off every trade.

You just contradicted yourself. You said I can rip off older kids, but not younger kids or new players. You are also missing my point. If someone agrees to a trade then they agree to it. They could say no. Im trying to say little kids don't really care about the value of cards they just want cards that they need.

And you're the type of person no one likes because you act like you are so much better than everyone because you will be monitoring people's trades. Get off your high horse little kids don't care about the value of cards they just want the card they want. If a little kid agrees to a trade then he agrees to it. He isn't being a thief he is just trying to trade. I know i have ripped people off, and also been ripped off. It happens all the time and it isn't that big of a deal. It's a card game. I am willing to bet if you go up to a little kid and say you're getting ripped off 9 out of 10 times that kid will say he won't care or the older kid will say thats what he is agreeing to if he wants more cards i offered. No person tries to intentionally rip little kids off. It just happens because little kids don't really care about money.

You clearly don't understand what the point of this is... I made it clear in OP... READ... You like ripping people off good for you, I know its a card game, I know some kids may not care, I addressed everything already, also I am not trying to act better then anyone else, everyone is equal to one another in my eyes. I will not be monitoring everyone's trade, I'm sure there is people that understand the actual statement I'm trying to get across then there others, like yourself that will dispute it, which is fine, no problem with it. I don't hold grudges, or argue with any post anyone puts on here.

You clearly don't understand what the point of this is... I made it clear in OP... READ... You like ripping people off good for you, I know its a card game, I know some kids may not care, I addressed everything already, also I am not trying to act better then anyone else, everyone is equal to one another in my eyes. I will not be monitoring everyone's trade, I'm sure there is people that understand the actual statement I'm trying to get across then there others, like yourself that will dispute it, which is fine, no problem with it. I don't hold grudges, or argue with any post anyone puts on here.

No I understand completely, but you may want to stop contradicting yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back