Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Platinum - Arceus: Zapdos [G], Toxicroak, and Gengar LV X Revealed!

PokeDaddy

displayimage.php
_
displayimage.php
_
displayimage.php

Click >here< for more information.

Gengar LV. X (97/99)
The evolution chain of Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar is featured prominently in Platinum—Arceus, with Gengar LV.X (97/99) at the top! Gengar LV.X is a little tricky to use on its own, but both its Level-Down Poké-Power and Compound Pain attack have game-changing potential. First, Level-Down lets you remove a LV.X from an opponent's Pokémon and have that card shuffled back into his or her deck so, if you've been suffering at the hands of your opponent’s Pokémon LV.X, Gengar LV.X is a sure-fire way to slow them down! After you’v e leveled the playing field in this manner, use Gengar LV.X's Compound Pain attack to do 30 damage to any of your opponent's Pokémon that already have damage counters on them. Both of the regular Gengars that Gengar LV.X can Level-Up have attacks that can target your foe's Bench, giving Compound Pain the potential for extraordinary power!

Zapdos [G] (12/99)
The high-flying Zapdos [G] (12/99) crackles with lightning as it swoops into the game! Zapdos [G] can use its two moves to quickly build Energy levels then deliver a thunderous blow to the Defending Pokémon! The Charge Beam attack rapidly loads up on Energy whilst the Lightning Strike attack delivers 40 damage... or 80 damage if you choose to discard all the Lightning Energy attached to Zapdos [G] ! Since Charge Beam makes it so easy to replenish Zapdos [G] , it makes sense to do the maximum damage as often as possible.

Toxicroak (11/99)
With its sharp claws and piercing yellow eyes, Toxicroak (11/99) will put the fear into your opponent even before an attack is made! This Stage 1 Pokémon looms under an ominous eclipse, ready to deliver two stellar attacks packing plenty of strategic potential. First up is its Corner attack, which not only prevents the Defending Pokémon from retreating but also does 20 damage. Next is Convert Blow, an attack that delivers a basic 30 damage (plus another 30 if Toxicroak has Fighting Energy attached to it), and causes Poison if Toxicroak has Psychic Energy attached. Try to employ these attacks back-to-back, using Convert Blow to Poison the Defending Pokémon, and then Corner to force it to stay in battle—racking up even more Poison damage!

Last edited:
Zapdos G is pretty good counter to Gyarados, provided you have Lucario GL in play.
Gengar LvX. has nice but expensive attack. However, it suffers from Nidoqueen RR.

I think Zapdos G could see some play. It is good against Palkia G and Gyarados, and isn't weak to Toxicroak G PR that usually hits back after a KO for a OHKO on most electric Pokemon.

I like the Level-Down Poke-Power, but I would think an 3 energy attack would be difficult for a regular Gengar deck to pull off multiple times throughout the game.

Toxicroak is surprisingly good, but it's a stage 1, so it's already at a disadvantage in this Basic-Stage2 format.

Gengar LvX was the one card I was hoping they would forget about... They make an already borderline broken card (Gengar SF) even more broken by taking away the things that can counter it best (stong LvXs). not only that, but they give it an attack that works astoundingly well with the attacks that Gengar already has, and with one of the more powerful versions of the Gengar deck.

Toxicroak makes me once again appreciate that Double Rainbow is no longer in the format.

Zapdos looks like fun. Not sure how good it is, tho. Was there a LvX of it in the set?

Gengar is pretty sweet, but Toxicroak's pretty good, too. I mean, you'll probably usually be doing 60 damgage and poison for only two energy. That's nothing to laugh at........

i think played right Salamance and Gengar will be rivals in this new set, i like the toxicroak, the zapdos will have a hard time

Toxicroak is what Houndoom GE should've been. Zapdos is yet another mediocre SP who might pop up left or right, but Gengar...oh, that card is deadly. I think we all know that.

I would have liked Gengar X better if it's attack only cost :psychic::colorless and did 20 to each of your opponents pokemon with any damage counters on it. It'd be easier to knock out Uxies and Claydols after a few turns of Shadow rooming.

Gengar is pretty sweet, but Toxicroak's pretty good, too. I mean, you'll probably usually be doing 60 damgage and poison for only two energy. That's nothing to laugh at........

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I've got a feeling that PUI has been paying attention and this set is going to be kinda Hott.

Gengar is such an amazing card, awesome artwork too. The other cards are LEAGUES better than 95% of the stuff that came out in SV.

Can't wait for the new set!

Personally I believe that Gengar is over hyped. There are to many ways to get around it. For example Queen is a great counter, and if more people start playing Gengar, T-Tar could see a comeback.

But as for it's power, yes it is good, but I really think that smart players will be able to kill Gengar without leveling up til they have to. Against SP you will not be able to use that power most likely, as they will power spray it. So We will see, but I think once the Gengar Dies that it will be very challenging to get another set up with 3 energy.

Gengar Lv. X is broken. Great power, great hp and an O.K attack. It will just make Gengar even more deadly of a deck.
While Gengar is great, the card that really catches my eye is toxicroak. poisned and 60 for 2 energy? wow. good luxray counter

Aha, they show off a couple of -good- cards, excellent.

I can't wait for this set to come out. It's going to be so amazing~

Gengar LvX was the one card I was hoping they would forget about... They make an already borderline broken card (Gengar SF) even more broken by taking away the things that can counter it best (stong LvXs). not only that, but they give it an attack that works astoundingly well with the attacks that Gengar already has, and with one of the more powerful versions of the Gengar deck.

Agreed, gengar is one of my fave pokemon, but this card makes me scared....very scared.
seems like flygon has just been declared useless aswell.

Not unless flygon is played with Weavile(with dark engage). But i love the new set. Much better set than the previous set supreme victors.

Man gengars....definitely not broken. Haha. I mean the power can do a bit of disruption but lets face it, 3-4 bebe's in a deck plus a premier ball usually. It's gonna come back out almost immediatly. Personally I'd rather knock out opposing lv X off the bat and force them to use the maintenace early or run through premier balls quicker. But hey an extra 30 HP and x2 weakness to active fainting spell earlier? I'll take that. Zapdos would be good if it had plasma instead of doing a coin flip. Toxicroaks mediocre but I like the double effects from energies, makes him more versitile.

Back