Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Play! Points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeChump

I'm confused at the moment about the Play!Points. I am looking at the "States" section on PokeGym and all of them say it's only 3 Play!Points for entering? What happened to 5? In that case I won't be making Nationals this year. I planned on going to FL States, then a Regional. If it's only 3 points instead of 5 though then I know I won't make it. I'm constantly working and can't always do BR, and just now had time to reserve for this upcoming States. I can't reserve a day for every tournament and I'm lucky I'm going to the ones I planned for.

Besides that, will there be any "Grinder" to get into Nationals? Or any other option during sign ups?

I also do not have a League in my city, go figure...

I'm pretty sure States were always 3. Regionals were 5 last year though. And the entrance requirement got bumped up to 15 from 10 last year.

I have a few friends that would go to Nationals if there was no minimum Play Point requirement (since they are busy with school/jobs now and have other commitments/priorities besides getting 15 Play Points), but alas this is how it is. I would rather see no Play Point requirement so it can be that event again where all your friends that aren't able to make it to a ton of events during the year can come out for a weekend and enjoy Pokemon again.

(I know they could play side events, but not many people want to spend money travelling to Nats unless they can play in the main event and at least have a shot at being "National Champion.")

I know the arguments about people dropping for t-shirts and people maybe not being up to date on the rules, but I think the main reason for the change is that Pokemon is probably afraid of the event getting too large to manage (it gets bigger each year, despite the new entrance requirements). I think Nationals should be encouraged to be a big event and let everyone in who wants to play.

Do what you need to do to get enough staff in place. Charge a small entrance fee if you have to. I don't think anyone would mind paying $5 if it helped to cover some staff, and then anyone who dropped to get the t-shirt/promo would basically be paying for it then, cutting out those losses.

Another argument is that maybe the requirement has helped increase attendance at States/Regs/Cities/etc. I think that might be hard to measure. I'd think most people would be going to those local events anyway, trying to earn Championship Points (or just going to have fun). I'd imagine the percentage of people coming out JUST to get 15 Play Points is small. I'd be interested to see stats this year from how many Play Points people entering Nationals have.

And lastly, I can see it being a problem with people who are new players and have no idea what they're doing (especially younger age groups), but were there really that many people like that in the past that would travel all the way to Nationals? (Maybe judges can give input on this.)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure States were always 3. Regionals were 5 last year though. And the entrance requirement got bumped up to 15 from 10 last year.

I have a few friends that would go to Nationals if there was no minimum Play Point requirement (since they are busy with school/jobs now and have other commitments/priorities besides getting 15 Play Points), but alas this is how it is. I would rather see no Play Point requirement so it can be that event again where all your friends that aren't able to make it to a ton of events during the year can come out for a weekend and enjoy Pokemon again.

(I know they could play side events, but not many people want to spend money travelling to Nats unless they can play in the main event and at least have a shot at being "Nationals Champion.")

I know the arguments about people dropping for t-shirts and people maybe not being up to date on the rules, but I think the main reason for the change is that Pokemon is probably afraid of the event getting too large to manage (it gets bigger each year, despite the new entrance requirements). I think Nationals should be encouraged to be a big event and let everyone in who wants to play.

Do what you need to do to get enough staff in place. Charge a small entrance fee if you have to. I don't think anyone would mind paying $5 if it helped to cover some staff, and then anyone who dropped to get the t-shirt/promo would basically be paying for it then, cutting out those losses.

Another argument is that maybe the requirement has helped increase attendance at States/Regs/Cities/etc. I think that might be hard to measure. I'd think most people would be going to those local events anyway, trying to earn Championship Points (or just going to have fun). I'd imagine the percentage of people coming out JUST to get 15 Play Points is small. I'd be interested to see stats this year from how many Play Points people entering Nationals have.

And lastly, I can see it being a problem with people who are new players and have no idea what they're doing (especially younger age groups), but were there really that many people like that in the past that would travel all the way to Nationals? (Maybe judges can give input on this.)

I didn't know this, I knew some tournaments were 5, didn't know states was only 3. I'm defiantly not making Nationals this year, I won't pay 100's of dollars just to play in a side event. I agree with you, they should take the requirements away, so what if people drop just to get a cruddy shirt? Stop giving out shirts! Let them be won in side events or given out to the first top cut bracket, even both would probably work. The only people that drop right away are probably just idiots in the area of Nationals. At least I had a good go at 2011 Nationals, missed 2012 for the reasons I've already listed and I was busy during Nationals weekend, looked forward to trying to get last minute points for 2013 but if it is raised to 15 there's no way I will get that. Unless I win a states or remaining regional.

I'm confused at the moment about the Play!Points. I am looking at the "States" section on PokeGym and all of them say it's only 3 Play!Points for entering? What happened to 5? In that case I won't be making Nationals this year. I planned on going to FL States, then a Regional. If it's only 3 points instead of 5 though then I know I won't make it. I'm constantly working and can't always do BR, and just now had time to reserve for this upcoming States. I can't reserve a day for every tournament and I'm lucky I'm going to the ones I planned for.

Besides that, will there be any "Grinder" to get into Nationals? Or any other option during sign ups?

I also do not have a League in my city, go figure...

What part of Florida are you from?
Are you new? Have you played all season long?
Do you plan on going to Athens Regionals in April?

What part of Florida are you from?
Are you new? Have you played all season long?
Do you plan on going to Athens Regionals in April?

South, and no I've been playing competitive since 2011, but soon after that I got very busy with life, and still am from my main post above. I went to one of the first BR of the new season, besides that no, I haven't played anywhere else. Again being busy on most weekends kills it, and I can't reserve every weekend to play Pokemon. Athens, yes I do plan on going barring a few things.

South, and no I've been playing competitive since 2011, but soon after that I got very busy with life, and still am from my main post above. I went to one of the first BR of the new season, besides that no, I haven't played anywhere else. Again being busy on most weekends kills it, and I can't reserve every weekend to play Pokemon. Athens, yes I do plan on going barring a few things.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/op_playpoints_faq_2012-2012-08-28/

If you can find this time, this is how you can get points.
3 Points from Florida States
3 Points from Athens Regionals
2 Points from 2 South Florida Prereleases
4 Points from 4 South Florida Spring Battle Roads
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in March (There is 1 Friday night before Florida states)
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in April
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in May
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in June
1 Point from Nimbasa League season (Make sure you give the LL your DOB and Player ID to insure you are reported)
1 Point from Driftveil League season (Make sure you give the LL your DOB and Player ID to insure you are reported)

^Thats 18. How many do you currently have? Should be at least 1 since you said you played in a Battle road at the start of the season.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/op_playpoints_faq_2012-2012-08-28/

If you can find this time, this is how you can get points.
3 Points from Florida States
3 Points from Athens Regionals
2 Points from 2 South Florida Prereleases
4 Points from 4 South Florida Spring Battle Roads
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in March (There is 1 Friday night before Florida states)
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in April
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in May
1 Point from a non-premier sanctioned tournament in June
1 Point from Nimbasa League season (Make sure you give the LL your DOB and Player ID to insure you are reported)
1 Point from Driftveil League season (Make sure you give the LL your DOB and Player ID to insure you are reported)

^Thats 18. How many do you currently have? Should be at least 1 since you said you played in a Battle road at the start of the season.

I have 1 point, and I do not have a league in my area.

I have 1 point, and I do not have a league in my area.

Do you live in the Keys?

If the answer is no, there is league in your area.

Besides, not counting league, there are 16 more possible points you can scoop up from future events.

Do you live in the Keys?

If the answer is no, there is league in your area.

Besides, not counting league, there are 16 more possible points you can scoop up from future events.

I'm not really going to address where I live but no, there's 2 card stores in my area and neither have league or are not big enough to have a league. I work late on Fridays so there's no making the "practice" states tournaments the night before. Seriously the requirements to play in Nationals while having to spend 100's to get there on tickets/food/taxi/gas/hotel and more, not in any order are bleh. The requirements would be great if it required you to go to 1 or 2 premier Pokemon events. Cities and up would be ideal. I could easily get that done, but going to multiple states-cities-battle roads and not really having time to do 2 or 3.. it's pathetic. I'll see how next year turns out I guess.

You have 1 point now. +3 from FL states is 4, +5 from Regionals is 9, and then attend just 1 BR (not gonna kill you) and you have enough for the event.

You have 1 point now. +3 from FL states is 4, +5 from Regionals is 9, and then attend just 1 BR (not gonna kill you) and you have enough for the event.

NO, Regionals is 3 Points, not 5 Points.

Masters need 15 points to play in Nationals.

Never mind, I'm sorry you can't go then man. :/

If it was that easy Glaceon I wouldn't have even made a thread, it sucks to work my butt off doesn't it? My exact plans were to go that route until I found out I was only getting 3 points instead of 5, and not knowing Masters needed 15 and not 10 Play!Points. I have to man up and whoop some butt at States-Regionals and just win baby win!

From what I remember, winning a states or regionals will NOT qualify you for nationals. I know it sounds ridiculous. Could a judge confirm this for me?

From what I remember, winning a states or regionals will NOT qualify you for nationals. I know it sounds ridiculous. Could a judge confirm this for me?

Master Division Players need to have 15 Play! Points and Junior/Senior Division Players need to have 5 Play! Points in order to participate in the National Championships.

Winning States/Regionals does not award Play! Points, Simply playing in them does.

Technically players can go 0-x in every tournament they play in and still can play in Nationals because they have the Play! Points by Playing in tournaments.

Master Division Players need to have 15 Play! Points and Junior/Senior Division Players need to have 5 Play! Points in order to participate in the National Championships.

Winning States/Regionals does not award Play! Points, Simply playing in them does.

Technically players can go 0-x in every tournament they play in and still can play in Nationals because they have the Play! Points by Playing in tournaments.

Holy balls... I think I should just hang up the game until I find time to actually get into it.. This year is pointless.. How many Championship points are needed for worlds again? Let me guess.. That was raised from last year as well?

That totally defeats the purpose of having this stupid system if all I have to do is show up to a tournament then drop and still get my play!points... That's exactly the same as going to Nationals without the requirements and dropping. For people that work 5-6 days a week, have children to take care of or have other events going on during the weekends like Church or any such other event on Saturday or Sundays like working, this is garbage... with a capital Garbodor.

Whats the requirements for VGC?

Last edited:
Holy balls... I think I should just hang up the game until I find time to actually get into it.. This year is pointless.. How many Championship points are needed for worlds again? Let me guess.. That was raised from last year as well?

That totally defeats the purpose of having this stupid system if all I have to do is show up to a tournament then drop and still get my play!points... That's exactly the same as going to Nationals without the requirements and dropping. For people that work 5-6 days a week, have children to take care of or have other events going on during the weekends like Church or any such other event on Saturday or Sundays like working, this is garbage... with a capital Garbodor.

Whats the requirements for VGC?

This is only the 2nd season with Championship Points. Last season there wasn't a set number, it was Top 40 North American Players get into worlds. Other Rating zones had their own Top X number. Invites were earned by Top placing players at Nationals 2012 and Worlds 2011 earned instant invite to the 2012 World Championships as they did in previous seasons.

This year is 400 Championship Points for the North American and European Rating Zone for all divisions.

No, You can't show up and drop to get Play! Points. You have to play 2 rounds to get Play! Points.

There are no eligibility requirements to play in the Video Game National Championships.

What part of South Florida are you from if you don't mind me asking? Miami? Broward? Southwest? Keys? Other?

This is only the 2nd season with Championship Points. Last season there wasn't a set number, it was Top 40 North American Players get into worlds. Other Rating zones had their own Top X number. Invites were earned by Top placing players at Nationals 2012 and Worlds 2011 earned instant invite to the 2012 World Championships as they did in previous seasons.

This year is 400 Championship Points for the North American and European Rating Zone for all divisions.

No, You can't show up and drop to get Play! Points. You have to play 2 rounds to get Play! Points.

There are no eligibility requirements to play in the Video Game National Championships.

What part of South Florida are you from if you don't mind me asking? Miami? Broward? Southwest? Keys? Other?
oh... that's still too much to start now, I'd need to win out every tournament I go to and then some. 2 rounds still isn't anything special.. that's pretty much go play 2 rounds go to lunch then drop... As far as VGC goes then that looks like what I'll be at Nationals for, that and side events/friends/vendors. I guess you could call it central Florida, if you're a Florida native. Other, I'm about a hour + from every league I can think of in other areas, and that is too far for me. Not worth it in gas/money. I'm not trying to complain but this game was so much more fun when there were no requirements... Why can't they just make if you drop in the 1st round of Nationals you get a R1 loss in the next Nationals you attend? No true competitive player would drop then. I know some people could/would have serious reasons to drop from time to time, but if they just dropped to be a turd then give them the R1-R2 losses the next time they enter the event.

Is 15 too much? That's 5 major events for people without a league nearby.

The problem 2yrs ago was not players that didn't have enough participation in the game, it was parents that wanted a free t-shirt. Even then, all they had to do to avoid what happened is to play Round 1 as paired and give the wins to the people that didn't have opponents. Trying to improvise and re-pair at the last minute is what caused the problem.

Pokemon should not be discouraging any players from attending Nationals. If you've played in 3 City-Regionals events, that should be enough to demonstrate that you are a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back