Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon... demonic? I think not.

LugiasForce

Well, me and my Dad got into a fight last night about this. He hates Pokemon, thinks it's demonic, so I thought I would show him one of the articles he likes to print off and shove in my face all chopped up with the actual facts about Pokemon underneath the bias quotes from the article.

http://www.fillthevoid.org/Children/Pokemon.html

The first problem with this one occurs in the first paragraph… and then continues throughout the entire article. Hmmm… who could have guessed.

Pokemon teaches children to depend on "psychic powers" and to trust in their "Pokemon" or "pocket monsters". The "good" creatures in the game use their occult powers (which are forbidden by God), to overcome "evil" Pokemon.

Ok, children do not depend on psychic powers. There are 9 different types, one of which happens to be psychic.

Evil Pokemon? Sure, there are dark Pokemon that you could call evil, but just because you are battling someone does not mean they have evil Pokemon.

such as Hypno, Mewter, and Haunter

Mewter? Is that a new one? Just thought that was kinda funny. Ignorance… strike one.

To achieve your goals in Pokemon you begin to believe it's OK to cast spells

When did Pokemon have anything to do with casting spells? Show me one card that ‘casts spells’! Ignorance… strike two.

Another false promise that the game of Pokemon teaches is that you can become your own "master". Did you know that all other religions around the world (except for Christianity), were brought into existence by Satan? Most all of these religions teach that you can become a god (master).. Remember the first big lie that Satan told in the Garden of Eden? The lie "ye shall be as gods". The Bible tells us, no one can become a "god" or a "master". This is a false promise. Satan, Adam and Eve all suffered terrible consequences for believing this lie and disobeying God.

LOL. I am the master of my dog. Does that make me a God? Here is the word ‘master’ in the dictionary…

The owner or keeper of an animal: The dog ran toward its master (dictionary.com)

Just because there are different definitions of ‘master’ that doesn’t mean you can pick which one Pokemon meant to use. Ignorance… strike 3. That ones out, but I will keep going, just to entertain myself.

Many children believe they have power at their fingertips, the power to give commands. This is magic and it is a very destructive power that will lead only into Satan's trap.

They have the power at their fingertips because the cards are in their hands. They play with the cards, use the cards, they don’t command the cards. I think most children realize the cards aren’t going to spring up and shoot out fire. Ignorance… strike 4.

Did you know that those who call themselves "Wizards of the Coast" created the Pokemon game? These wizards are calling themselves something that God has forbidden. Let me make it clear that God loves the person, but hates the practice of a wizard. These "Wizards of the Coast" are also the creators of "Dungeon's and Dragon's" and "Magic:The Gathering". These games also have many occult forbidden practices in them, that need to be avoided.

Since when did WotC create the game?! They print the cards which are translated from Japanese. Ignorance… strike 5.

Overall, Pokemon is teaching you how to practice witchcraft and sorcery.

As soon as I get some proof from someone that understands the game and can actually play it, I will believe it.

Anyways, I'm done ranting. Anyone want to add some more support? :biggrin:

I think most children realize the cards aren’t going to spring up and shoot out fire.

That happened to me once. Wait, that was that time I set 2 of my Base Set Gastly on fire. Never mind. ^_^

"it's OK to cast spells, use psychic powers, magic, poison, cheat, steal, deceive or kill others."

How do you magic others? Their grammar is confusing... or is it use cheat?

It's clear Pokémon are demonic. Just look at Jigglypuff. If that doesn't have demon scribbled all over it, I don't know what does. And it sings a siren's song to lure other Pokémon to their death!!!!1!1!!1! And in case you didn't notice, I was using sarcasm there.

LugiasForce said:
Well, me and my Dad got into a fight last night about this. He hates Pokemon, thinks it's demonic
<...snip...>
Anyways, I'm done ranting. Anyone want to add some more support? :biggrin:

Best wishes in your discussions with your Dad. I don't know how far you'll get with logic at the detail level. You might briefly point out that the article is inaccurate & then move to pointing up the positives of the game.

• Sportsmanship from learning to play by rules and having to lose games gracefully
  • Friendship in a positive social setting
  • Logic & problem solving from the strategy
  • Self-confidence and poise from meeting people of all ages & types
  • Scholarship awards are possible to the winners
  • More things from your personal experience & views
On the question of spirituality, while obviously not Christian (because it comes from Japanese traditions) PKMN is definitely on the 'light side' of anime/ccg franchises in terms of spiritual concepts and overtones, and especially on the values of actions (PKMN, both the anime and the OP, stresses balance and respect over greed and personal glory).

Pokemon as a franchise has almost no references to the occult, especially in English translation (TRR Dark Hypno & Fossil Gengar come to mind out of like a bazillion cards) and none of the game mechanics rest on occult practices. The most negative thing you can say about Pokemon is that its major plot premise is akin to cockfights and such. Even that is inaccurate (PKMN aren't fought to the death, it is more like a Karate match than a pit battle). The powers in the game are more like SciFi than black magic and the storyline approach to them is pseudo-scientific (Professors, Researchers, Breeders, Trainers) rather than occult (Wizards, Alchemists, Mediums, Apprentices).

As such, I find that PKMN doesn't cut across the grain of Christian belief for me ... its far less negative spiritually than much of the material in popular music and video entertainment. The biggest issue for me with PKMN is making sure it doesn't take my focus off the Important, but this is the same for any hobby or pursuit in our materialistic culture.

Anyway, I hope your discussions turn out well.

Nice post, 'snore...:)

Unfortunately, I've found that when one is dealing with someone holding the 'everything not specifically OF god is anti-god/evil' worldview that the simple fact that Pokémon originates in a non-Christian culture is 'enough' to condemn it in their eyes...and no argument in the world is going to change their mind.

Good luck.
'mom

"Another false promise that the game of Pokemon teaches is that you can become your own "master". Did you know that all other religions around the world (except for Christianity), were brought into existence by Satan? "

Time to send some emails! ^_^

Last edited:
Another thing people falsely believe is that the Pokemon kill each other. Last time I looked it was called a Knock Out. Not a Death Blow. On the GB Games the Pokemon Faints. Does this equal death? NO. Its witchcraft cause I used a potion to heal my Monster. Funny that we also use things like berries and Centers for healing. Sounds to me like a classic case of home remedies and a trip to the vet for my pet. Like the Great HOV says "What More Can I Say?"

LugiasForce said:
Ok, children do not depend on psychic powers.
Well, I'm only a child at heart but I depend on my psychic powers all the time in order to top deck the right card. Now, if you'll excuse me, since we have a tournament this weekend, I have to go make a sacrifice to the bronze Pikachu statue I built on the patio...

Just kidding of course.

If you look close you can find the devil everywhere. The thing is, if you look close, you can find God everwhere as well.

Yeah, this is the typical standpoint on Pokemon that an extremely radical Christian would take. To be honest, I don't really know why. I guess the real reason this is written is because the Christians are afraid that Pokemon takes away from the time you should be focused on God, but if the author of this article is actually convinced of what he or she is saying, let me say that this person is a total nutcase.

I'm religious, but I bring Pokemon cards to my church, because I know a couple of guys there who play. After the service is over (our service is held in the auditorium of a school), we go into the cafeteria and scatter our boxes, binders, decks and damage counters all over the table and play a few rounds. Nobody minds, because thankfully my church, as a whole, doesn't take the standpoint that the author of the above article does, but there will always be people who are going to argue on both sides of this topic.

Frankly, you are fighting a losing battle, LugiasForce. You try convincing anyone of something this complicated that they stand firmly against, and you will stalemate or lose the argument. You can argue strategy about decks or the GBA games with other Pokemon players, or trivial things like that, but try arguing about something like this with your dad and you'll get nowhere. One of my favorite quotes is "All arguments are completely circular." In this case, it's true. You'll only spin in circles on this topic.

Even though I know it will make zero difference in their eyes, I'm going to write them an email to give a players (or former player in my case) point of view on the game. Hope you do not mind, I will pretty much reiterate what has already been said (especially by bulbasnore, since the post was so well written.) I will keep you informed on what we both say in the emails (assuming they respond.

Well, I and my parents are Christians, and I see nothing wrong or Satanic with it, nor do my parents. Ignorance, as LugiasForce put it, plays a big role in this. Now, Yu-Gi-Oh! is an entirely different story.

"Another false promise that the game of Pokemon teaches is that you can become your own "master". Did you know that all other religions around the world (except for Christianity), were brought into existence by Satan? "

This is true, (no offense meant to any othere Religions)however this has nothing to do with Pokemon. It is not a Religion people.

Adv1sor, EXACTLY!

Please do not delete/edit this post or ban me for talking about Christianity.

I would really like to find a research paper that shows the benefit that can be gained from Pokemon just from the amount of memorization and logic skills required to play the game.

"Did you know that all other religions around the world (except for Christianity), were brought into existence by Satan?"

Did I know? No I didn't know their opinion!

Arrogance and condescension like this drives me nuts!

Last edited:
mac5hoops said:
Well, I and my parents are Christians, and I see nothing wrong or Satanic with it, nor do my parents. Ignorance, as LugiasForce put it, plays a big role in this. Now, Yu-Gi-Oh! is an entirely different story.

This is true, (no offense meant to any othere Religions)however this has nothing to do with Pokemon. It is not a Religion people.

Adv1sor, EXACTLY!

Please do not delete/edit this post or ban me for talking about Christianity.

Wow, that was dumb. ;x

"THIS IS TRUE, SATAN DID MAKE EVERY NON CHRISTAIN RELIGION...*ALL RADICALS RUN TO UR HOUSE ARMED* , NO OFFENSE!!!!!"

See, stupid bull like this is why I don't care about religion anymore, how can you seriously say pokemon is "evil", let alone write numerous articles which are in some cases 5 pages long, qouting the series and misqouting guides proving how evil it is. If your parents aren't buying you pokemon cards because some retard on the net posted a false article than they're evil themselfs and if such a place exists, they're going there. To write this kind of article you gotta be either severly retarded or radically religious. (or both ;p)

Y'know. I hate how some Christian circles try and blame everything bad on Satan specifically. Its a cop-out.
Satan is evil but Satan is not:
Omnipresent.
Omniscient.
Omnipotent.

Satan cannot be responsible for everything (I'm not saying he (or his demons) aren't responsible for anything). People have to realize that human beings can create/do something completely and utterly wicked, blasphemous, etc ALL ON THEIR OWN. We don't need Satan's help. =/ Its irresponsible to say "the devil made me/him do it."

Back on topic. The article is a load of bull.

Last edited:
Wow, THERE'S an educated world-view for you; how nice to know that the religion _I_ follow was brought into existance by "Satan"...something I don't even believe exists...

Talk about arrogance...

JMO,
'mom

Folks, without pointing out anyone in particular, the poster asked for help with his evidence. Back to that topic, if you please.

Thats one of the funneist thens iv ever read. I go to a Christian school but im not. Ill try and find some people like this

Back