Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pre-Release DQ but no packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a friend ask me a question the other day. He went to the NV Pre-Release and the way they do it is you Pay but you do not get your packs till after ever one has entered and sometimes the judge will bring you your packs before starting round 1. Ok

Well here is what happen from his side of the story

He paid to enter. They seat ever one done at the tables But right before they gave out the packs the Judge DQed hm from the Tournament . He asked for his Packs and the Judge told him No. He demanded his money back and again the Judge told him no. That once you pay you can not change your mind and what the money back and once you get DQ you get nothing even if you pay for it.

His side of the story is

He was siting at a atable with his Trade binder open. When another player came up and wanted to trade the judge told him no tradeing during the event. So he closed his Binder up and told the guy that they would trade after the event a little bit before the first round the guy came back and asked my friend if he would sell any of his cards. My friend told him his amounts and that they would talk after the event. Well the guy ran to the Judge and thold him that my friend was planing on selling during the event and did not care about the No Trade rule. So he DQ him for not following the rules and not following orders. When friend says he wanted to give his statment for the Record the Judge say it was not need and that he already caught him trading before round 1. So it was grounds for DQ

Now its been 3 months and My friend was going to let it go till he got this email the other day from the Judge.

To all Players.

No Trading will be allowed before, During, or after Next Destinies pre-release.

No food or Drinks will be allowed in the Tournament area.

Players will be asked to either stay in their seats or leave the building after their match is over.

No siting with other players.

Break any of these rules will result in a DQ. Any DQ handed out before or during Round 1 will be forced to forfit all Prizes and Packs back to the Tournament staff.

After the event we will be having an After Draft were you can get more packs of Next Destinies. $15 to enter but to enter the After Draft you must enter the Main event. You will be given 5 more Next Destinies. Players who want to drop must play 1 round in the After Draft.
$25 = 8 Packs of Next Destinies + 1 Promo card and deck box
$40 = 13 Packs of Next Destinies + 1 Promo card and deck box

He says he has never had any problems with this Judge but this he thinks is not right. He also says that this is the first time they are doing an After Draft and he has talked with outs and 2 PTOs told him its not allowed because he will be using pre-release products as the packs and not older packs a 1 other TO told him it was allowed.

He wants to know
1. What happen to him at NV was allowed or should he at less got his packs

2. If any thing in the email is allowed or not

3. If the After Draft is not allowed who does he need to contact so have it stopped.

(Pokepop asked me to report this here. the other one can be locked)

Do to email and PM I have recived because I posted this.
This has NOTHING to do with my local PTO Monti Floyd So stop asking me and please stop telling Monti I am talking about him. He is not the Judge involved at all in this so Please do not pm me asking if its Monti because its not. And Please do not contact Monti as he is not involved at all.

Last edited:
That sounds rather draconian. Have you appealed this issue to your PTO? If he/she has been contacted and nothing has changed, it might be in your best interest to file a support ticket with P!P.

Still, I'd like to see a post from this judge before making any rash calls on liability, etc.

Um, yeah, the entrance fee is for the packs, NOT the tournament. The tournament itself is free. This TO is violating his "contract" to provide the packs.

The only thing the TO could possibly hold back are the promos, prizes, and other "fluff" not associated with the entrance fee.

This would be such an easy suit to win in small claims court. Likewise, TPCi Legal would almost assuredly advise the TO to stop that practice.

I'm very sorry that your friend has to go through this. I've had various troubles with judges in my career, but if what you're saying is true, it is absolutely disgusting for a judge to deny you a product you have paid for.

I would not post the name of the judge here, as some other members have suggested, because there's no need to incite public conflict over this issue. My advice to your friend is to open a support ticket found at this link. You can explain your situation (and give the name of the judge) in your complaint.

I don't think there's a need to go to small claims court at this time. Try to get this issue resolved by using Pokemon support as a negotiator to save yourself a lot of trouble. Keep small claims court as a last resort.

Obviously, there's two sides to every story, and I await hearing the other side.

Quite honestly, no trading before and after a prerelease makes no sense to me - what's wrong with that? After the packs have been given, you shouldn't be trading until the tournament is over, but after the tournament, once again what's the problem?

DQ:s are a harsh penalty to give at prereleases, that are nothing but fun tournaments where you don't play for anything - in fact, I don't think they really should be given.

As for the consequences of the DQ - I'm simply appalled. This should not happen anywhere.
No trading before tournament is a strange rule in itself, but giving a DQ for doing it already seems overkill.

Add on the fact the tournament organizer didn't give the packs your friend paid for... that is nothing but downright wrong.

I have asked my friend for his name but he refuses to give it to me. I think he does not want to have retalation happen for me asking this on his behalf. And I respect his decision to not press him to giving me the Judge's name.

I have told him he should contact TPCI but because he has waited 3 months now he does not want to get them involved in less the judge upholds to his email. Then he will contact TPCI then and let them know about the past Pre-Release also

I asked him if the Judge is also the T.O. He told me no the owner of the store is the T.O. and that the Judge is just the head judge. The T.O. does nothing at all but does paring he lets his Judge handle ever thing else.

I will let him know what you all have said and I will see if I can get him to contact TPCI

Last edited:
speak with the TO (PTO?). The judge may be following direction from the (P)TO or may be over extending his/her authority.

Something tells me that the best way to get this fiixed wont be by having a big discussion on a public forum

Yep, that would REALLY teach the judge not to take disproportionate action in future.

Wait . . .

Why did you say Wait. . .? And honestly I think there is not future for the Judge. Also what state was the tournament in? I would like to know so I make sure not to go to tournament there.

How about we wait until both sides are heard before we start bashing people. I'll bet there is more to this then just what the OP is claiming. Wait until both sides are heard and knowen before the bashing starts.

How about we wait until both sides are heard before we start bashing people. I'll bet there is more to this then just what the OP is claiming. Wait until both sides are heard and knowen before the bashing starts.

How can there be more? There is nothing more! The PTO did something really wrong and should have consequences.

He wants to know
1. What happen to him at NV was allowed or should he at less got his packs

2. If any thing in the email is allowed or not

3. If the After Draft is not allowed who does he need to contact so have it stopped.
In order to get an official answer I advise you to send those questions to the folks in charge of Play! Pokémon events via: support.pokemon.com

Regardless of how good it may feel to rally the internets behind you when you (or your friend) feel wronged, no one on these forums can penalize this judge if that is what we decide to do after looking at both sides of the story.
:wink:

I still don't quite understand why trading isn't allowed when there are no prizes given to winners at pre-releases. Seriously, pre-releases should be really laid back and no one should ever get DQ'd unless they do something really horrible. If it's a draft then I would understand because there are prizes on the line, but there haven't been prizes for pre-releases for years.

I would like to hear the PTO's side of the story, but I still think if it was something as minor as pulling out a binder, a DQ as a penalty is completely out of line. If he pulled out his gun, then I would understand, but that is not the case

and @Biggie - Sending messages to support.pokemon.com never works. I've tried multiple times.

How can there be more? There is nothing more! The PTO did something really wrong and should have consequences.

[fibs]Yeah well a buddy of mine heard that Pokeplayer101 spanks puppies with rubber hoses. This super reliable source got an email from Pokeplayer101 inviting him to join a site he runs where people can pay to tune into webcams showing goats as they are forced to throw coconut cream pies into the faces of babies. It’s all true ‘cause I said so. [/fibs]

Seriously, don’t believe everything you are told just because it sounds more feasible than the pack of (semi-amusing) lies I spewed above.

---------- Post added 01/05/2012 at 01:57 PM ----------

and @Biggie - Sending messages to support.pokemon.com never works. I've tried multiple times.

The massive amount of tickets we resolve says otherwise. :cool:
PM me a ticket number and I will see if I can find out why you are not hearing back from us.

I will ask him tonight if he will either give me the Judge name or send a ticket into TPCI. Last time I asked him to send in a ticket he told me he did not want to cause any problems for any one. or cause any retaliation.

If a mod want to lock this till my friend give me the name of judge. i posted this so I could get advice for my firend and to get him to leave me alone about asking this. he has been bugging me for a few days now to ask. I told him I would but geting ready to go back to school has keep me from geting online a lot to do so.

Trading was a problem when there was a box of the new set on the line, even when there was a pin on the line. Now there are no prizes for how you do in pre-releases, and thus the no trading rule is not needed any longer. That's my opinion at least. However it has been stated that some juniors and some seniors do no know the value of new cards and can thus be ripped off by people before they know the value of their cards and thus the prevention of trading reduces the chances of a person getting ripped off 3 seconds after pulling a card. I can understand that argument.

[fibs]Yeah well a buddy of mine heard that Pokeplayer101 spanks puppies with rubber hoses. This super reliable source got an email from Pokeplayer101 inviting him to join a site he runs where people can pay to tune into webcams showing goats as they are forced to throw coconut cream pies into the faces of babies. It’s all true ‘cause I said so. [/fibs]

Seriously, don’t believe everything you are told just because it sounds more feasible than the pack of (semi-amusing) lies I spewed above.

---------- Post added 01/05/2012 at 01:57 PM ----------

The massive amount of tickets we resolve says otherwise. :cool:
PM me a ticket number and I will see if I can find out why you are not hearing back from us.

I mean there really is nothing else to this. He will get in trouble anyway and he should know what he did is wrong. And what you said is kind of odd hearing that from a Official Pokemon international guy lol. Considering I never even heard anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back