Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Preleases running out of Promos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

I try really hard not to complain about little things when it comes to Pokemon, but when I'm shelling out $25 a pop for a prelease I feel I have a bit of right to. I had to work yesterday so I paid for my little brother to play in the prelease since I couldn't. Later that day he told me he didn't get promo because they "ran out" and wasn't even told he wasn't going to get one till he paid his money. I am really curious has to who is at fault for my little brother and several other young kids for not getting the promo. Is the TO for not ordering enough or does P!P have a way of determing how many each store gets?

I hate to complain over a few dollars card but this has happened before and its kind of getting old. This promo was actually playable and indemand trade wise which kind of made the $25 easier to accept. Can I email P!P have a promo sent to me or can they send them to the store so all of the kids who didn't receive one would get one?

From what I'm told (based on shortages we've had up here in recent sets), it's 100% based on what the PTO orders for how much product/how many promos they get.

The two pre releases I went to both outlined that it was "while supplies last"... Though that doesn't excuse them not telling him beforehand (or issuing a refund after). Did he ask?

I'm not debating the "while supplies last"...I'm arguing first that he pays his money and than hopes to get 1 and second of all as this has happened multiple times needs to be looked into and avoided.

I'm not debating the "while supplies last"...I'm arguing first that he pays his money and than hopes to get 1 and second of all as this has happened multiple times needs to be looked into and avoided.

Really, all that can be done is the PTO ordering more supplies and knowing close to how many people will show up.

Did he have higher attendance than usual?
Pokemon sends promos based on how many players are expected based on attendance from the last set.
There are also occasional shortages.
Last set, I sent 30 or 40 promo cards to a PTO in CA since his order was shorted due to the shortage.

Bear in mind, promos are ordered and printed by Pokemon months and months in advance.
If attendance jumps (as it did starting with the Next Destinies set, supply and demand can be out of whack for a while until they're able to catch up, which may take a few sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the promos, just saying.

What makes you say that? Why would you say that? PTOs and Judges take time out of their lives so that you can have fun playing the game. Even if they did keep the promos for themselves, I wouldn't be mad at them, because they have to earn something. I know they get packs and stuff, but come on. Without them, we probably wouldn't have Pokemon tournaments. They arrange the whole thing, rent the place out in some cases, sign every single person in one by one, hand out packs, make the pairings, walk around and make sure that everyone knows the rulings that they have trouble with and announce the winners along with lots of other things. All after driving 4+ hours in some instances. They didn't have to get up early and drive, they could stay home and relax with their families. Or maybe gone to work and made money. Seriously? You are going to accuse them of keeping the promos? Really? Come on man, don't be like that.

What makes you say that? Why would you say that? PTOs and Judges take time out of their lives so that you can have fun playing the game. Even if they did keep the promos for themselves, I wouldn't be mad at them, because they have to earn something. I know they get packs and stuff, but come on. Without them, we probably wouldn't have Pokemon tournaments. They arrange the whole thing, rent the place out in some cases, sign every single person in one by one, hand out packs, make the pairings, walk around and make sure that everyone knows the rulings that they have trouble with and announce the winners along with lots of other things. All after driving 4+ hours in some instances. They didn't have to get up early and drive, they could stay home and relax with their families. Or maybe gone to work and made money. Seriously? You are going to accuse them of keeping the promos? Really? Come on man, don't be like that.

no, I am not accusing them. I am just saying that they are human, and there are always other things that can happen. just saying.

Did he have higher attendance than usual?
Pokemon sends promos based on how many players are expected based on attendance from the last set.
There are also occasional shortages.
Last set, I sent 30 or 40 promo cards to a PTO in CA since his order was shorted due to the shortage.

Bear in mind, promos are ordered and printed by Pokemon months and months in advance.
If attendance jumps (as it did starting with the Next Destinies set, supply and demand can be out of whack for a while until they're able to catch up, which may take a few sets.

My brother said it looked about the same size as the ND prerelease but that just him guesstiamading. Does P!P ususally send a few extra AKA we anticipate 40 so we'll send 50 promos? Like I said Pop its only a few dollars but I'm just getting tired of my brother being shorted thats all. I didn't know if this was an issue with us or if this is a larger issue as a whole.

Our PTO said that he gets an order of the amount of people from last time.. +20%.
I'm sure if that's just what he does or is what's considered standard protocol.

Sorry, but he was attacking the Judges and stuff. Anyway, I want to contribute. This has never happened to me before, they always seem to order 3 more than the store's capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the promos, just saying.

If any PTO DOES do this, they will not be a PTO for very long.

As far as your insistence that it's not an accusation, that's probably the biggest load of bull I've ever seen in my entire life. This is clearly an accusation, and it needs to be (and will be) taken seriously by just about everybody. If you were making this in jest, it's about the least funny joke I've ever seen. Never ever state something like this unless you absolutely mean it.

Now, on to the topic at hand...

Jay, I'm assuming you're talking about Iowa, right?

Basically everything's up to the PTO to order an amount appropriate for their venue. There are certain things to control that, but unless there's a massive attendance spike, that's usually enough for most things.

As far as the printing process, I have no insight into that. But I'm guessing that it has similar things to do with the League promos. Basically, we were completely unprepared for the incredible growth over the last year or so. IMO, it's a GOOD THING for the game

Perhaps the PTO had done a previous PR/s that had a much higher attendance, thus running short for the later PRs.

Perhaps the PTO had done a previous PR/s that had a much higher attendance, thus running short for the later PRs.

PTO's do the best that they can. Supplies are limited. We have run short of Promo's at our last 3 prereleases in our League store, not just this one. But when you gt 100 players on a Saturday and 50 more on a Sunday stuff liek that is going to happen. IF you want to make sure you get a promo then make usre you get early in line at the first prelease in your area, or you can usually trade for one fairly easily. Most collectors just want one for the binder and will be willing to trase extras. Although this one will be different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back