Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ratio's of Game Winning Contributors.

Ignatious

As we all know, Pokemon is won by three forces, 1) the build of the deck, 2) the skill of the player and 3) luck. How much, as a percent would you say each contribute to winning. Explain your reasoning so that this isn't a poll.

19%, 46%, 35%
Good deck build can only get you so far, you need skill to get your deck working well and to be able to win games. But the best player in the world is no match for a garbage hand, so luck is definatly a massive part of it.

33%
22%
45%

Becuase if your short on luck, it's good game. and if you get extreme luck, then it doesn't take much skill to figure out what to do. And the deck is at 33% because it is very unlikely to win with a n00b deck, and the deck choice should be appropriate for the area.

This really got me to think hard!

40% A well built deck is everything. Especiall if it is metagamed correctly
40% Not just anyone can play a deck. You have to know it inside and out and what it can do
20% A well built deck has rare occasions of bad hands. But yes, everyone gets donked.

45% Luck: No matter how good the deck is or how skilled you are, if you start badly or your opponent starts with some god hand, you're not going to win

30% Skill: Making the right plays and understanding what your deck can do is also a big part.

25% Deck: Of course, using the appropriate deck for the metagame is good as well. Overall construction, including Pokemon lineups and Trainers and such is also important.

90% deck
5% skill (This applies to mirror and tough matchups)
5% luck (With a good deck you don't lose on luck often)

Honestly if you don't agree with deck being 90% go play at States with a Starter deck or a deck with 0 trainers and LMK if you went 5-0 on skill and luck.

40% deck
37.236% luck
83% skill
25% math!

If I explained my reasoning I'd have to shoot you :)

Luck is always going to be contentious. It doesn't have a fixed value, tending to decrease as the game takes more turns.

Last edited:
40-40-20
At National/Worlds levels, the player's skill is all very similar. The build/metagame choice of deck varies more, so deck is more significant at those levels. Skill is still equally important, I just think that in-game skill varies less at the top levels.

50% deck - If you don't have a good deck, you wont win anything.
40% skill - You need to be able to play the deck.
10% luck - A donk on someone is always nice, but if your deck is good enough you wont need much luck.

DarthPika's thing is good. You need a good deck to be able to compete with something like Gardylade (as was previously said, just imagine competeing a Starter Deck with Gardylade or Banbliss or Fire TRUK!). There is a reson why PUI seperates Age Divisions. This is because you won't see a Junior beating a Master very often. This is because of skill. The more skilled player will usually win. Luck, though important in some decks (DWD anyone?), is not everything. You can win a match without too much luck. But, a garbage hand dosen't do anyone favours except your opponent. Though once I got a lone Minun start in a game with Banbliss, only one Ceilio's, and no other Searching Trainer, and I still won against my opponent, who had a godly hand. All because I was more skilled then he. So really, luck is only really a factor if you are versing a mirror and you and your opponent are about level in skill.

You can't seriously evaluate it with a percentage breakdown but I'd say the emphasis is on the deck.

If you take players with good playing skills and deckbuilding skills, all you need is more luck to win.
Therefor Luck will get 80% from me, while skill/deck get 10%/10% each.

Sorry but a good starthand is only luck. Take good players, good builds and the person having the most luck on a given day will win.

Better decks require less luck.

You're more likely to get a bad opening hand if you run less of the cards you need for a good one. You can run 60 basics and you won't lose T2 because you'll be guaranteed a bench. You can run 4 Celio, 4 Bebe, 4 Master Ball etc and you'll always get the Pokemon you need when you need it. Obviously you wouldn't, but deck building is about finding the right balance. Luck is always going to be a factor in this game but its massively overemphasised.

The three aren't seperate and you can't just factor one as x% and the others as y% and z%. Skill goes into play, true, but it also takes skill to build a good deck and to deal with both good and bad luck. A good deck lets you control the luck you have (to an extent) and needs to be suited for your skill (i.e. if you don't have the head for Hand Disruption or Status or whatever, don't try it, even the best decks out there don't play themselves). And luck is the cruel mistress of card games and coin flips, able to level the playing field and cut your awesome deck and fine-tuned skill down to size.

I've played in enough tournaments that it would seem to me if luck were any more than 10% I should have won one by now.

% of tournaments won (in general, by anybody) that can be attributed to luck: at most 0.000/sideways 8/0001%

% of games won during tournaments (in general, by anybody) that can be attributed to luck: at most 5%

As far as deck vs. skill, very gray area. They go hand in hand. It takes skill to build a good deck and a good deck won't win on it's own. Anyone who has played against Jimmy, Jason, Alex, Pooka, ..., ... as much as I have would have to weigh skill heavier than deck though. Good is just good!

I think it's more of a curve. With 0% of any of the three you can't win. IMO player skill is the same as deck unless you're talking about netdecking or borrowing a deck. If I HAVE to go with a ratio it's:

70% deck
25% skill
5% luck

But the skill is in building and understanding the deck.

20% Deck
10% Skill
70% Luck

If you wiff on everything you need, while your opponent is getting everything he/she needs, then you just aren't going to win the game. It doesn't really matter who the better player is then.

Back