Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Scizor MD:Fantastic or Failure?

Bug Boy

Scizor MD uses 1 metal energy to do 30 damage. If, however, the defending pokemon has a special energy, this attack does 80. With special metals, darks, calls, multis, rainbows, soon to be upper and SP energies everywhere, don't you think 1-for-80 is good? If you have 2 sp. metals on this guy and one other energy, so you can use his second attack (50, 90 on heads flip, for two colorless, one metal), then this thing is a beast, laughing in the face of virtually every deck.

It takes a pretty good amount of energy, and has a little too little HP. With a bunch of basic SP decks running around, the second attack isn't too good. And can't they just not use sp. energies?

You just have to say failure or fantastic, and why.

Last edited:
There's already a thread for this, but I'll bite.

Fantastic, because 80 for 1 on a Stage 1 is amazing. The only way I can see someone using his 2nd attack is with Upper Energy, but with a 1-cost retreat, he will most likely strike for 80 and run back when the active no longer has specials.

Scizor's second attack reads:

"X-Scizzor 50+
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 50 damage plus 40 more damage."

Not what you said.

Scizor's second attack reads:

"X-Scizzor 50+
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 50 damage plus 40 more damage."

Not what you said.

That may be true, but the TC is referring to the first attack, Special Blow, which does 30 normally or 80 if the Defending Pokemon has any special energy attached to it. And as he said, with Special Darks, Special Metals, SP Energy, Upper Energy, Call Energy, and Multi/Rainbow Energies popular (or going to be), the attack is, more likely than not, going to get one shot at 80 (if not more).

Scizor as a tech is really nice. In an SP deck, you simply "Bronzong-over" a spec metal, and he hits the opposing Dialga G or Dark Poke REALLY hard. He's also a cheap KO vs. a starter with CALL energy. Pop an unown Q on him and he dashes in and out stinging like an annoying littel insect!

I really wasn't a believer until I faced it. It REALLY gets in the way if a good player knows how to tech/play situationally.

Scizor as a tech is really nice. In an SP deck, you simply "Bronzong-over" a spec metal, and he hits the opposing Dialga G or Dark Poke REALLY hard. He's also a cheap KO vs. a starter with CALL energy. Pop an unown Q on him and he dashes in and out stinging like an annoying littel insect!

I really wasn't a believer until I faced it. It REALLY gets in the way if a good player knows how to tech/play situationally.

The special energy has to be on the defending pokemon. It seems pretty situational to me, and really good decks are not based on situational cards.

The special energy has to be on the defending pokemon. It seems pretty situational to me, and really good decks are not based on situational cards.

Scizor/Croak was one of the World Championship decks last year. You're right that it's situational, but as long as you don't depend on it, you're ok. Most cards are situational, really (Skuntank vs. non-sp, AMU vs. decks that don't play Mewtwo X, Gengar vs. player w/o Unown G, etc.).

not good as a deck, but good as a tech in one. might be nice in flygon and other decks that can afford to have a random poke on the bench.

the problem is that it is a stage 1. so if you go second, and you dont run rare candy, you get the ohko treatment from every deck in the metagame rightnow... it's a great tech i'll give you that, but the fact that it's a stage one takes away from it's surprise factor because like i said unless you run rare candy you will need 2 turns to get it into play

the problem is that it is a stage 1. so if you go second, and you dont run rare candy, you get the ohko treatment from every deck in the metagame rightnow... it's a great tech i'll give you that, but the fact that it's a stage one takes away from it's surprise factor because like i said unless you run rare candy you will need 2 turns to get it into play

Couldn't you just play broken space time?

Once your opponet sees you have Scizor in play, they'll be more careful in how they place their energies, such as placing BASIC metal and darks, or avoiding placing specials all together

Once your opponet sees you have Scizor in play, they'll be more careful in how they place their energies, such as placing BASIC metal and darks, or avoiding placing specials all together

Some decks only play 4-5 Basic Energies, and regardless, if they're wasting their search power on energy (w/ Roseanne's), then that's 1 less Uxie/setup Pokemon/fighter that they can get. It slows them down enormously.

No...
I was talking about Scizor using HIS OWN special metals for added DEFENSE while, at the same time, punishing your opponent's use of special energies of any kind.

:smile:

i think that this is an underated card and a great tech. i can't see why it didn't get the respect it should have gotten for winning worlds.

i think that this is an underated card and a great tech. i can't see why it didn't get the respect it should have gotten for winning worlds.

Because that was an entirely different meta and is irrelevant now, plus no one really seems to care about juniors.

Back