Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Serious Topic: Legitimate Proposal for Worlds 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaJoner

Alright, this is a very important issue in my mind (and a lot of other people's minds too), and having experienced the worst, I think that is a very legitimate and plausible idea for this year's worlds.

As you know, there have been huge problems with stalling recently in the Pokemon TCG. I believe that my idea would essentially reduce stalling to such a small level that it really wouldn't be a huge problem anymore (for Worlds 2005, anyways).

Also, this is not a "problem," but I have gotten to the point where I am extremely tired of getting screwed over by luck at a lot of the tournaments that I go in. And of course, this does not only happen to me, sure, I know other people who are tired of it too. I believe that worlds 2005 should crown the BEST Pokemon TCG players in their age group, not the luckiest. Am I saying that the 2004 winners were not legit? Not at all. I believe that the best players in each age group won 1st place (with the element of surprise, mind you).

So, now, my idea? I would like every single round of worlds 2005 to be match play competition. That is, best 2/3 games. I think that even the 7 swiss rounds could easily be done as 2/3. Some of you may feel that time is an issue, and it may be. But I believe that we can easily accomplish this in 2 days, and it will reduce luck and stalling by huge numbers. I think that in the swiss rounds, the match play could last 1 hour, and in the elimination rounds it could last 90 minutes, like it did last year. I have put together a schedule for which I thnk the main event at worlds 2005 could follow (obviously this is very adaptable). I have allowed 15 minutes between each round just for any issues or time extensions and what not.

Saturday, August 20th

9:00 AM - Players in the main tournament gather and listen to information from head judges and TOs.
9:30 AM - Round 1 begins.
10:30 AM - Round 1 ends.
10:45 AM - Round 2 begins.
11:45 AM - Round 2 ends.
12:00 PM - Round 3 begins.
1:00 PM - Round 3 ends.
1:00 - 2:30 PM - Lunch break.
2:30 PM- Round 4 begins.
3:30 PM - Round 4 ends.
3:45 PM - Round 5 begins.
4:45 PM - Round 5 ends.
5:00 PM - Round 6 begins.
6:00 PM - Round 6 ends.
6:15 PM - Round 7 begins.
7:15 PM - Round 7 ends.
7:30 - 8:00 - First day of gaming is over, with the top 32 being revealed and posted in each age group.

Sunday, August 21st
9:00 AM - Top 32 playoffs begin.
10:30 AM - Top 32 playoffs end.
10:45 AM - Top 16 playoffs start.
12:15 PM- Top 16 playoff end.
12:15 - 1:00 PM - Lunch Break.
1:00 PM - Top 8 playoffs begin.
2:30 PM - Top 8 playoffs end.
2:45 PM - Top 4 playoffs begin.
4:15 PM - Top 4 playoffs end.
4:30 PM - Finals and 3rd place matches begin.
6:00 PM - Finals and 3rd place matches end.
7:00 PM - Awards presentation.

Now this seems plausible to me, doesn't it? And I might be ignorant, I do not know what it takes to run a tournament, but last year's worlds went very smoothly. It kept pretty much exactly on schedule, which is not what most people expected. It was a job well done. Who says this can't happen at this year's worlds? And I think that my schedule is quite legitimate.

Now, on the side of the actual idea, I don't think that there will be too much opposition, unelss it is from adults who run Pokemon TCG tournaments, saying that this is not possible within the given time frame, and that is, of course, a legitimate argument. Also, with regards to people's flights back from worlds, I think that they can be given on Monday rather than Sunday night. (I know that Nintendo would love to save money on hotels, and even later Sunday night flights are very possible.)

As far as the 2/3 itself is concerned, often matches can be decided by a lucky 3/3 heads and weakness, on a second turn or first turn Knock Out. Does this determine the person with the most amount of skill? I think not. Even though you will be in quite a hole if you lose the first game, it is still very possible for you to come back. Stalling will not be as huge because you can almost always finish a single game in an hour, maybe even 3. Of course, we've all heard the stories of people being stalled in last year's worlds playoffs, and it will not be totally eliminated, of course. If someone tries to stall, it will be only after they get a win in the first game or something similar. And this format will reduce the amount of luck by a huge margin.

So this is merely a proposal, of course, but I haven't really felt much stronger and more positive about anything involving the Pokemon TCG than this. I think that it would improve worlds immensely, and I'd love to hear your feedback. So, what do you think?

Go till 7 or 8 pm without a dinner break? A ten-hour PLUS day for -10s?

:nonono:
'mom

Last edited:
Last year top 32 was also announced on the second day, but was actually played at the first day.
Don't know is this is going to happen again this year.

11 hours continous of Pokemon? YES! this sounds quite a good idea, and should definately be considered for Worlds '05. Ending at 8 doesn't sound too bad, specially if you're already there and playing in the WORLD Championship, I think that should be enough reason for everyone to cope with 2/3 eveyr swiss round.

I think that lunch break is certainly enough to last a whole day, but for 10-s, their parents could give them say snacks between rounds etc. If you wanted to include a dinner break around 5 or 6, I could do that, but I just wnated to prevent games from going later into the night.

Another option is even just extending the time limit of the original 1/1 games to 45 minutes or an hour. This seems like something that POP would actually do. Making the regular 1/1 round longer would make stalling less of an issue, although the luck factor would still be as high as in regular 1/1 games.

I think that kind of schedule would be a little difficult for some of the older and younger peoples. Perhaps if everyone agreed on extending the day to a little later and going to play a little earlier, you could fit in a bit more personal time. However, I don't really think this kind of thing would work now. They probably already have all of the schedules set in stone.

Last edited:
I don't know that surprise had a lot to do with some of the winners winning worlds. I mean, didn't the guy who came in 1st in the 15+ play in the grinder the day before and go undefeated?

How about 3 days of playing? Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Last edited:
Surprise I mean that they used Magma, which wasn't expected at all by the Americans -_-
And about the schedule being difficult, maybe, but I don't think Pokemon is very physically or mentally exhausting ;/ The early wake up is harsh though, but that already happened at worlds 2004 anyways.

GrandmaJoner said:
And about the schedule being difficult, maybe, but I don't think Pokemon is very physically or mentally exhausting ;/ The early wake up is harsh though, but that already happened at worlds 2004 anyways.
Well, what about those who work staffing the event? Making the day longer for the players ALSO makes the day that much longer for the staff...and they're _already_ working a LONGER day (meeting earlier, leaving later) than the players are. You've obviously never spent an entire day on your feet judging an event like this, nor had to concentrate table-judging T.8 matches...

:nonono:
'mom

switch out, bring in more judges so people only work/judge half of the day. I'm sure if they wanted to, they could *at least* do it for the 15+ers, I'm sure most if not all would agree.

ok, what about people with medication that requires you to eat at a certain time? i don't care if it sounds rediculous, but it is reality.

I don't know anything about how long the games went on last year, but under this proposal, the players would be given little to no time to do anything else the whole weekend at Worlds. I'm sure there are things to do other than playing pokemon. But maybe I am confusing this with Gencon.

Okay, that is an idea. But just an idea. That would have to go through MAJOR revisions. And unless 8 year olds are completely hyper, I don't think they would last. If this plan is revised, goes through authorities and whatnot, it could work for '06. But not for '05. It is too late.

should have best 4 out of 7, lol

what i don't like is the resistance factor. lets say there is 4 people that are 4-2 going for top 8, but only 2 can make it since everyones 5-1 or better. So instead of doing some weird "scientific" formula, how about have the people play off against eachother, it might delay the other rounds but it will determine who has the real best top 8 record

Poliwag92 said:
should have best 4 out of 7, lol

what i don't like is the resistance factor. lets say there is 4 people that are 4-2 going for top 8, but only 2 can make it since everyones 5-1 or better. So instead of doing some weird "scientific" formula, how about have the people play off against eachother, it might delay the other rounds but it will determine who has the real best top 8 record
And that is what I hate. In the first round, it is luck of draw. You could be faced with someone who goes 0-5. Or you could be faced with someone who goes 4-1 or 5-0. You never know.

Yeah...but the resistance happens in 1/1 as well -_-

What might be more realistic for this year is an extended 1/1 time...either 45 minutes or an hour. Any more thoughts on this?

plaidlesspez said:
I think I'd have to kill myself if we had to play that long...
ROTF LMAO that is too funny... :biggrin:
I like it... i dont understand why food was invented... i mean didnt pokemon come first :confused:
I think pokemon should be played 24/7 :biggrin: and i think your idea is great... i like it... :biggrin:
Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back