Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sevii Islands FAQ

NoPoke

Is there a FAQ for the new league system?

some possible questions...

Q) Do the decks all have to be modified decks?

Q) How should League Leaders resolve a mix of unlimited and modified decks?

Q) Can a league have more than one premiere trainer?

Q) How does a League Leader offer Tournament Play within the new structure?

there may be many more some 'obvious' and some not so.

NoPoke said:
Is there a FAQ for the new league system?

some possible questions...

Q) Do the decks all have to be modified decks?

Q) How should League Leaders resolve a mix of unlimited and modified decks?

Q) Can a league have more than one premiere trainer?

Q) How does a League Leader offer Tournament Play within the new structure?

there may be many more some 'obvious' and some not so.

There was a set of instructions from POP that went out with the League kits - it answers some of these Qs:

Q1 - Deck format is a League Leader (LL) discretion. Will likely be what the majority of players desire...

Q2 - Not specifically answered in the instructions (I ran into this, and asked my opponent to play her unlim cards as their modified "equivalent" - ie. Energy Removal played as ER2, DCE played as DRE, etc)

Q3 - The League will accumulate 5 Premiere trainers: 1 per week for the first 5 weeks of the 6-week season.

Q4 - Not specifically answered either - but League and Tournaments are two different birds. League materials are specificaly NOT to be used as Tournament prizes. League play is specifically NOT to be reported as Sanctioned events.

HTH! :D

We flip deck format by season. 1st season is unlimited, 2nd is modified, etc. Most players will have 2 decks--a regular deck and an island challenge deck.

At the league I run, kids can play any deck they bring. With that said, the majority of the kids bringing the Unlimited Decks are new to the game or returning after a long absence. The kids with the Modified Decks are good enough players to beat unlimited deck, as those playing them don't have the experience to tweek them into real power houses.

We have several players that play at two or three different leagues. I also recognize the premier trainers from other leagues, so although it is only 2 weeks into the season, I usually have three or four premier trainers playing.

Regarding tournaments, the league guidelines are very clear in stating that you cannot award points for games played as part of a tournament. Violations of this can result in the league leader losing POP support for the league.

I suppose a gym leader could ban a deck from league play, but I would never do it.

Well the only thing I was wondering about is that Colorless energy is mentioned as Basic Type of energie and I'm pretty sure that it isn't.
We have 6 basic types and a total of 9 types. (the basics + colorless, darkness and metal)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a basic _type_...there's just no basic _card_ that is colorless. Just like how darkness and metal are basic _types_; it's the cards that aren't basic. Does that make sense? :)

'mom :)

Last edited:
SD PokéMom said:
It's a basic _type_...there's just no basic _card_ that is colorless. Just like how darkness and metal are basic _types_; it's the cards that aren't basic. Does that make sense? :)

'mom :)

she is right...metal, dark and colorless are considered basic "types" but the "cards" are not basic enery cards due the fact that they do something "extra"

so when you get a trainer or ablitility that says "go get a basic energy card" you cannot get the dark, metal, or colorless.

Last edited:
I have a qustion....

Lets say you go to more then one leauge do you need a book for each leauge or can you use the same book for all the leauges you go to?

Actually, Darkness and Metal (and I'd say Colorless, too) are not considered BAsic Types anymore!
We ran into this in the rules meeting a couple of months ago and it was then that we realized that Rainbow Energy no longer mentioned Basic in describing what it counted as.

Can someone quote the exact wording where it calls Colorless "Basic"?

new kid said:
I have a qustion....

Lets say you go to more then one leauge do you need a book for each leauge or can you use the same book for all the leauges you go to?

The League guidelines allow you to use the same book for more than one League, but they go on to say that players would be better off getting a seperate book at each location. The reason for this is the method of prize distribution. At a certain number of points you get a Pop Series 1 booster pack. You can only earn this once each season based on points. You can also earn a pack by playing a Premier Trainer 6 times during a season. That means you can earn 2 Pop Series 1 boosters per season. However, if you are using a seperate book at each League location, you can earn 2 boosters per book per season.

Another advantage of using your book only at one location is the League Leader can keep the books at the store. That way you never have to worry about getting to League without your book. HTH

BDS

PokePop said:
Actually, Darkness and Metal (and I'd say Colorless, too) are not considered BAsic Types anymore!
We ran into this in the rules meeting a couple of months ago and it was then that we realized that Rainbow Energy no longer mentioned Basic in describing what it counted as.

Can someone quote the exact wording where it calls Colorless "Basic"?
Interesting. So the old Rainbows said Basic types, but the new ones don't?

RainbowRichards said:
Q4 - Not specifically answered either - but League and Tournaments are two different birds. League materials are specificaly NOT to be used as Tournament prizes. League play is specifically NOT to be reported as Sanctioned events.
So what if a League Leader is using League Promos as prizes for unsanctioned tournaments in place of League play?

Is this more of the same 'problem' you'd brought to the boards (..rather than to POP =/) over the summer, or a new one?

'mom

Big Daddy Snorlax said:
Another advantage of using your book only at one location is the League Leader can keep the books at the store. That way you never have to worry about getting to League without your book. HTH

BDS

yeah i am definitely having my players keep thier books at my location due to the experience i had with WOTC badge books. The problem was the players would keep losing thier books and then we would have a hard time figuring out where they were with thier points within the season.

SD PokéMom said:
Is this more of the same 'problem' you'd brought to the boards (..rather than to POP =/) over the summer, or a new one?

'mom
What does that have to do with answering a simple question, and even if it is more of the same "problem" I thought ALL Leagues are supposed to be run as the League rules instruct you to run them, and by the way, it is a new one. So I will simply ask again, what if a League Leader is using League Promos as prizes for unsanctioned tournaments in place of League play?

Also they should almost add it to the rules that the league leaders collect the books, that way no one will have to make up all there league points if they loose the books right when they are almost at the last stamp needed to get there promos, since it is not the LL's responsibility to remember how many stamps each player had the last time they were at your league.

Last edited:
I don't see why you're even asking this here: if it's against the rules as written in the league leader materials, it's against the rules. Why bring it up here rather than with POP, unless you're trying to stir up public opinion against this particular league leader, as before? Why not just take it up IN PRIVATE with POP?

BTW, you ARE aware that sanctioned tournaments receive POP boosters for prize support now?

I'm holding on to my League's books, too...the same kids would 'lose' badgebooks week after week, then there came a time when there weren't any badgebooks left for new players. :(

'mom

Last edited:
Back