Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Should sunglasses be an issue for hayfever sufferers at tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy K.

Hi there,

I suffer from hayfever during the summer months, have done since I was a child:

What is it?

An allergy is an abnormally high sensitivity to certain substances which cause a reaction of the immune system in the body leading to symptoms such as sneezing, itchy watery eyes and rashes.
25% of the UK population suffer from hayfever and the number of people diagnosed has trebled over the last three decades.
Hayfever is caused by a specific allergy to pollen and like other contact allergies it can make your eyes feel very itchy and uncomfortable. There are different types of pollen and you can be allergic to any or all of them. The different types are present at different times of the year which explains why the onset of suffering can vary between people. The most common pollen for triggering hayfever is grass pollen - 90% of hayfever sufferers are allergic to this type. The bad news for hayfever sufferers is the pollen season is gradually starting earlier every year, and lasting longer too.

What are the main causes?

Hayfever and other allergies are commonly triggered by:
  • Pollen (highest between April and September in the UK)
  • House Mites (even in clean houses!)
  • Pet hair
What are the symptoms?

Your eyes may feel itchy and watery, and look red and inflamed. You should consult a doctor or pharmacist to confirm whether you have an allergy and to find out what triggers it.
Hayfever symptoms are often worse amongst young people and peak between the ages of 20 and 30.

( The above information was taken from http://www.optrex.co.uk/eye_conditions/hayfever_and_allergies.php )

It also details - which is common knowledge for sufferers - advice including "Try and avoid the cause of the allergy as much as possible eg wear wrap around sunglasses during the hayfever season".

So my question is can this be an acceptable reason for wearing sunglasses during tournament play? I'd really like to especially hear the views of PTOs/TOs/Head Judges, but everyone's POV would be welcome.

Thanks for responding =)
Freddy

well here's a question for you - why would it cause a problem in the first place (wearing sunglasses that is)? I dont' recall hearing anything saying you can't......?

Wouldn't you be okay without glasses once you were inside the building?

And obviously there's no rules on you wearing glasses on travelling to and from the tournament.

Sorry if I misunderstood something.

I am not sure how I feel.

I am a bit torn. I think there is a few thoughts here.

I feel that trying to cover your eyes with sunglass could give you an unfair advantage (as silly as that might be) as it could be a little bit indimidating because you can't see your opponents eyes.

I also think that if your sunglasses are reflective they give your opponent an unfair advantage as they might be able to see the cards off the reflection. It isn't fair to tell a player to not look into the sunglass for a reflection because frankly that is near impossible.

I think that if I was HJ, it would be judgement call and more times than not I wouldn't allow it.

If you had an actual medical condition that meant you were sensitive to light or what not I would let them be used as long as they as previously stated were not reflective.

Drew

And obviously there's no rules on you wearing glasses on travelling to and from the tournament.

I think Freddy K. means wearing the sunglasses during tournament play. As for taking them off....you can still suffer hayfever inside just as much as outside. (pollen can still get through air filters of AC units, the doors opening/closing, etc).

The only time it should not be allowed is if they are reflective. Any other time should be ok.

http://www.claritynallergy.co.uk/didyouknow-faqs.php
for a nice TL/DR FAQ on hayfever and pollen allergies.

Like an anaphalactic shock can come about with any trace of nut or nut oil, only a few pollen spores are needed to trigger off a histamine reaction. Worse case scenario means I literally have to lie down for 30 mins or so in a cool place after drenching myself with water and trying to flush as much stuff from my system (eyes and nose) as possible.

AC only minimises the condition, pollen filters do help.

From experience when you have a crowded area particulates can be gusted up from floored areas. Constant movement in and out or open doors/windows can mean pollen is tough to keep out.

Non-sufferers may think pollen is a sticky substance and wouldn't really float about, but if there's air there's pollen - particularly in grassy areas, but it's horrendous in any built-up/public areas where pollutants from vehicles and any type of machinery can mean the pollen 'clumps together' and becomes sorta super-concentrated.

Drew - being specific, I'm thinking discreet, black wraparounds and not the Oakley reflective type (which I agree reveal your hand and bring about disadvantages in play).

Would it be worth bringing my over-the-counter anti-histamine medication on the day of Nationals in a week's time to 'prove' to the HJ that I'm a sufferer? Medical advice is to reduce the causes of allergy as much as possible, as long as I discreetly make the HJ aware before the tournament would that be okay?

I'd be interested in hearing from players who suffer from the same condition =)

Freddy

---------- Post added 06/04/2010 at 09:44 PM ----------

No need to apologise, taking glasses off at any time when the pollen count is high enough triggers off an allergic reaction. Anything short of airlocks means that pollen can get around. Hope that helps...

I also suffer from allergies, and I do know that sunglasses help. If it's as bad as you're saying (Mine's milder) I'd definitely ask the HJ, hopefully they'll allow it. Maybe ask before the event if you can by phone or email, instead of just showing up there and asking.

Worst case, you have to take them off to play, and then put them on again once your match is complete.

The issue is with sunglasses, they are an easier and more comfortable alternative.

---------- Post added 06/04/2010 at 10:25 PM ----------

I also suffer from allergies, and I do know that sunglasses help. If it's as bad as you're saying (Mine's milder) I'd definitely ask the HJ, hopefully they'll allow it. Maybe ask before the event if you can by phone or email, instead of just showing up there and asking.

Worst case, you have to take them off to play, and then put them on again once your match is complete.

Have done just that in the International section, I hope I'll get the answer 'yes that's ok as long as they are discreet'.

Last edited:
I suffer from hayfever also and Freddy is right. It does bother you when you are trying to concentrate. :nonono:
Sunglasses do help but I have never tried wearing them inside.

I don't think it should be a huge problem wearing them during the tournament as long as the opponent is ok with it
and the HJ knows about it...

your not allowed to wear sun glasses ? I see this all the time. In fact one time one of my opponents was wearing reflective sunglasses and I said I could see his hand and he just said I couldn't and disregarded it. TBH it just makes you look like an idiot and I wouldn't consider it intimidating at alll

If its for medical reasons and the HJ tells you no, its discrimaination. I see no reason why you would not be allowed to wear sunglasses inside, anyways. The people who say it is intimadating is a cop out excuse. Look at games like poker where they can and do wear them.

Its a kids game. lets not forget that

I don't think it would be an issue, but if it turns out to be, be cool and wear industrial goggles.

I have permanent hay fever too :(. A bad attack is bad. Personally I haven't found sun glasses to have much impact on reducing a high pollen count to a low one. Sunglasses do reduce the level of light when I'm outside enough to reduce irritation from intense sunlight. But that is something I'm aware of even when the pollen count is low.

I haven't tried a snorkel mask.Though it would probably work I'd still not be able to see as I need corrective lenses for my short sight.

Hey, if a player wants to let his opponent see his hand, more power to him, as far as I'm concerned.

I once had to give my opponent a friendly heads up after our game that he may not want to were reflective sunglasses just to "be cool". It was rather amusing being able to see what he had in his hand the whole game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back