Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Soul Calibur 4

Dek

Very nice game...

Beautiful graphics, same gameplay, plus the addition to the Critical Finish system is a nice touch.

Yoda is a little odd, as well as Apprentice.

So far, it looks like I'll be switching my primary and secondary characters, where Kilik used to be my primary and Cervantes being my secondary.

But yeah. Very good game. I just gotta find a way to get a PS3 version to see how Vader plays and... yeah...

is it true that yoda is only in the 360 version and vader is only in the ps3 version? if so....LAME

besides that im sure the game is great

Yeah. The big rumor I'm hearing, however, is that the characters will become downloadable content for the respective consoles...

I'm sad. I had money and I went to Gamestop to either get SCIV or Civ Rev. They were out of PS3 versions and I wanted Vader. Then I found out that Vader's not actually that good. And fun as Civ Rev is, it doesn't compare to a good Soul Caliber game.

i've played both versions of the game (got PS3 version) and vader is awsome in comparison!!! his hard hitting with mediocre speed makes him a hard hitting character that can strike alot faster than any other!!!

my characters atm are apprentice and taki, apprentice being primary as i still need to work on my taki.

the character creation has led to some good characters bein played from other games, ive seen hulk, cloud, altair etc.

i've made:
solid snake
raiden
yuna (songdress)
mario (though it sucks)
kunimitsu
prince of persia (final look from SoT)
link
cloud
hulk (really good actually)

anybody else got any good custom characters?

Last edited:
I love this game

I changed my primary character myself from zalasamal (forgot how to spell) to yoda. I think yoda is a bit too funny, hI will have him in the air for like the entire battle.

I don't know how to make new characters yet though

Its good to see that they still care enough about Soul Calibur to rebalance it again. SC3 had some absolutely abysmal balance, and noone even wanted to play it. Granted, Yoda is incredibly cheap and won't ever see competitive play, but he's still fun to use.

OMG Hilde is amazing.

I love this game

I changed my primary character myself from zalasamal (forgot how to spell) to yoda. I think yoda is a bit too funny, hI will have him in the air for like the entire battle.

I don't know how to make new characters yet though

main menu, character creation...

Its good to see that they still care enough about Soul Calibur to rebalance it again. SC3 had some absolutely abysmal balance, and noone even wanted to play it. Granted, Yoda is incredibly cheap and won't ever see competitive play, but he's still fun to use.

OMG Hilde is amazing.

the only characters I have seen as cheap are kilik and that allgo guy (final boss).

In the 17 ranked matches I have played, I have seen kilik in about 13 of them roughly.

I played this guy in a player match 11 times and I lost every one, then I switched to allgo and won 4 in a row.

Yoda isn't cheap, ya you can't really grab him and he is hard to hit but he is in the air a lot of the time and he dies pretty easily

the only characters I have seen as cheap are kilik and that allgo guy (final boss).

In the 17 ranked matches I have played, I have seen kilik in about 13 of them roughly.

I played this guy in a player match 11 times and I lost every one, then I switched to allgo and won 4 in a row.

Yoda isn't cheap, ya you can't really grab him and he is hard to hit but he is in the air a lot of the time and he dies pretty easily

kilik is wat i call a 'n00btube' cause no matter wat you do, he is always good, no matter how r-tarded the player is, he wins alot. though i havent lost to a kilik in a while :tongue:

the online characters are: asteroth, cassandra, cervantes, kilik, mitsurugi, rapheal, siegfried, taki and there is actually a few people that are awsome with apprentice

after reaching level 20 online, these seem to be the ones to look out for. i was on apprentice, he rocks, now im pure taki. cervantes is gimp, hes got nothin to him but a 3 move slash attack and those dissapear/reapear your dead moves.
im starting to see some good siegried lately, which suprised me tbh
mitsirugi is just gimp, a really boring character, with slightly above midocre speed and really good damage
asteroth i hate, if you come up against some who knows asteroth well, you've lost [full stop]

kilik is wat i call a 'n00btube' cause no matter wat you do, he is always good, no matter how r-tarded the player is, he wins alot. though i havent lost to a kilik in a while :tongue:

the online characters are: asteroth, cassandra, cervantes, kilik, mitsurugi, rapheal, siegfried, taki and there is actually a few people that are awsome with apprentice

after reaching level 20 online, these seem to be the ones to look out for. i was on apprentice, he rocks, now im pure taki. cervantes is gimp, hes got nothin to him but a 3 move slash attack and those dissapear/reapear your dead moves.
im starting to see some good siegried lately, which suprised me tbh
mitsirugi is just gimp, a really boring character, with slightly above midocre speed and really good damage
asteroth i hate, if you come up against some who knows asteroth well, you've lost [full stop]

I am telling my brother that kilik is broken and he says

" you are just building a foundation of what to say when I beat you." Like "it isn't that you are better than me, it is the character ur using"

it really isn't his fault though because he has been using kilik since the day he started playing soul calibur

I am telling my brother that kilik is broken and he says

" you are just building a foundation of what to say when I beat you." Like "it isn't that you are better than me, it is the character ur using"

it really isn't his fault though because he has been using kilik since the day he started playing soul calibur

this us it. i only have ever played soul cal 4, ive gone through my life as tekken being the beat 'em up, and tekken just isnt like that.

all the characters are as good as each other. okay, if i play as beak then i'll cane whereas if i play as anna i'll die, but thats only because i have no clue of how to play her.

with soul calibur characters are actually better than others, instantly making it unbalanced. like zasalamel, who the **** is gonna play him? he sucks!

either way it is a good game, just a shame that it is so unbalanced

I think they should make soul calibur like smash bros where you can make any charater playable.

But I swear I am getting sick of whenever I play against a mitsurugi all they do is span x or y (don't know what the attack is) and you can't compete with it

I think they should make soul calibur like smash bros where you can make any charater playable.

But I swear I am getting sick of whenever I play against a mitsurugi all they do is span x or y (don't know what the attack is) and you can't compete with it

dude smash bros. aint balanced. 9 of 10 of the top players at the smash bros. worlds used snake, and the other was metaknight. like for instance olimar is pants! personally my best character is mr. G&W...

but seriously, if there was ever a balanced game, it was tekken.

I've made Roy (Raph style) which I use the most, then Altair (Yashimitsu style) and Nero (Nightmare style, and Mitsurugi style to emulate Yamato). Lol yeah everybody uses Kilik it's ridiculous.

i have altair but made him taki so i could use him
i also have a taki character that looks lke the ninja gaiden dude.

If you want to talk balance in fighting games, the most balanced is Guilty Gear XX and its many variants, followed by Soul Calibur 2 (and probably this one not far behind.) Guilty Gear has a tier system, but its not used very often because almost everyone in the game is equal in playstyle. I was at a pretty good tournament a while back, using a B ranked player (May) and while I gave my opponent a fight, lost to a C ranked character (Ky.), But every character in GGXX is usable, you just have to be able to make use of your high risk high reward moves.

the only characters I have seen as cheap are kilik

You then either need some practice (No offense) or should watch a good Cervantes player. Kilik is the least of anyones worries as he's a beginner character with a lot of punishable moves, but can be punished with healthy GI'ing and efficient frame advantage. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's a very predictable character in the hands of a newbie, and while the easy moves are powerful, they are easy to get around. I could punish a newb Raphael or Kilik all day simply by sidestepping and slapping them with Cassandra's Shooting Star. (I saw a lot at Ohayocon and a lot of them got owned by my Sophy. :p)

He's like Gon from Tekken 3. You have to rely mostly on cheap tactics and skilless abilities to even hit him, which I think is really ridiculous.

I agree with a lot of this list, though I haven't seen enough of new Raphael to really understand how good he's become.. IMHO, Amy's a ton better than he is, but thats just me. I'm surprised Sophitia and Xiangua are absent from this list.

asteroth i hate, if you come up against some who knows asteroth well, you've lost

A good Cass/Sophy can stop a good Astaroth dead. Punish him all over the field with quick pokes.

with soul calibur characters are actually better than others, instantly making it unbalanced. like zasalamel, who the **** is gonna play him? he sucks!

Zasa actually improved in the transition between SC3 and SC4, where in SC3 he was relatively balanced, and became a lot more efficient in 4. All of the cruddy characters in 3 got their momentum back and became relatively good again, this including Talim and Tira, and apparently Raphael. The only one I really notice lost anything was Yunsung because he lost Land Walk, but thats fine, he still seems good anyways.

And Tekken? You call a game in which Nina and Jin own everyone a balanced game? :p

Time their attacks carefully, sidestep them or GI them. The more you learn how to beat your opponent, the better you'll get against scrubs.

dude smash bros. aint balanced. 9 of 10 of the top players at the smash bros. worlds used snake, and the other was metaknight. like for instance olimar is pants! personally my best character is mr. G&W...

Last I heard, 8 out of the top 12 in the world play Dedede. It does seem though like Brawl is becoming Melee as far as tiers go, where Space Animals ruined all else. Really, you cannot call Smash at all balanced, especially not Brawl or Melee.

I want to get my hands on SC4 sometime soon so I can jump online and show some of the scrubs who's boss, but I've got Tales of Vesperia coming out here soon, but I want to try some Tales of characters in the custom creation, so I won't be without it forever.

Just keep practicing, go to some of the competitive websites and learn your character better, learn about frame advantage, good timing, character matchups, etc.. Maybe even play Kilik to find out how he flows exactly. The best way to beat your opponent, is be your opponent. I've won a fair share of Soul Calibur tournaments (most local, one at a large single elimination convention) and I only did that through practice and playing humans. Utilise training mode to learn what you're doing.

nina and jin? are you havging a laugh.

if i was to say any character shon the most in that game it would be beak. but tekken is 100% balanced simply because the guys that made it didnt even think about any of that, they just, came out all at equal usage.

cervantes? what is he 5 attacks? 3 hit horizontal, those 3 moves why he floats and the move where he sticks his swords in you and throws you... wow. but no he is hard to fight against.

okay, sophisia is actual gimp, she does nothing interesting. like i like taki cause she doges and dives around the ring like a possesed pogo stick on speed... then theres sophisia whos got this sword she just sort of swings... ye.

my mate personally knows people who were playin at worlds, they are sure it was snake and metanite

Back