Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sour Grapes: BR's dont make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aight guys, I come bearing super sour grapes over battle roads. I've been watching the ratings for the last couple weeks, and what I'm seeing is making me sick. Before battle roads, eveyone who did well at REAL tournaments like States and Regionals held the top spots, which makes sense. These are the people winning the HARD tournaments, so they deserve to be up there. Now that battle roads have come along though, everyone and their mother has a rating of 1900+. The top 20 is now filled with people who are undeserving of it (I don't care if this comes off as arrogant or offensive, it's the dead truth). Let's start off with #1, Johhny Kettler. Now I love John, and hes an amazing player, but I think it's safe to say without being a jerk that John is not THE best player in North America. Johnny had a decent states/regionals run, which put him at a decent rating, which is fine. After battle roads, however, Johhny gets to jump up 200 points from going 50-0 at 10 battle roads against a bunch of mediocre SEMI-literate texas players. Is this fair? Seems like it right? I mean, EVERYONE can just play all those battle roads, right? Wrong (to an extent).

Lets first take a look at what you REALLY have to do to make a battle road "worth it". First, you have to know your rating, and the ballpark rating of the people you're playing against. Next, you have to know the general amount of skill the people you'll be playing against will have. NEXT, you have to know the metagame. Finally, you have to guess at what you think your record will be at the end of the tournament.

I thought through all of the steps above, and decided there was no WAY it would be profitable for me to play any battle roads. I calculated that I could literally only take 1 loss a tournament, else I would lose a significant amount of points. When playing in the midwest, youd be LUCKY to sneak away from a tournament with 1 loss. I can name 20 midwest players off the top of my HEAD that are EXPECTED to make the cut at Nats. So yea, knowing that I could only take 1 loss against the toughest metagame in the world, I (correctly) opted out of battle roads.

Now we have players like Kettler, Ross, Miguel Angel Lopez Bernal, and Roberto sora who actually SKYROCKTED into top 8 from battle roads. Whys this? Is it because Miguel Angel Lopez Bernal and Roberto sora are actually TWO OF THE TOP 8 PLAYERS IN NORTH AMERICA? No, they're not (sorry guys, but its true!). They are all actually high ranked because they find the smallest cupcake competition tourneys in the WORLD, and procede to x-0 against a bunch of players who probably, no, DEFINATELY don't even know how to read. The players at the super small shops in super small cities are SO bad, that it's impossible to lose to them, luck or no luck.

So how do we fix the problem? Theres a couple things we can do. IMO, the best thing is to just get rid of battle roads completely. Battle roads are 100% are based, and allow players who havent won a single major in their life to play 100 BRs in Nowhere Kansas and jump to the top of the ratings for a free trip to Hawaii. Battle roads are also ridiculously easy to collude in, due to nothing but points being offered. I could have easily drove over to Iowa with a bunch of friends, had them clear out the no name competition, and scoop to me in the cut for a free 50 points. Theres no way a judge would have been able to catch me. How do we know this kind of stuff isnt going on now? That leads me to my 2nd suggestion for battle roads: WAAAAY less, and only in big stores with legitimate judges. How many battle roads had 10-11 people with somebodys mother/brother being the judge. DOZENS im guessing. Who KNOWS what goes on in these kind of tournaments. Allow each state 2 battle roads for a certain area, so things like Texas dont happen (7 BRs in 2 weeks, 4 BRs in 4 days at one point. Kettler had a field day there I bet). 3rd suggestion is simply give battle roads a K value of 0. Let people jsut play them for fun/prizes. Don't let these 10 person tourneys decide who goes to WORLDS. Worlds is suposed to be the best of the best, not the best of the who can find the most garbage battle roads to clean up in.

100% agree

Bring Gc's back, this points system is utter CRAP

I have been to worlds the past 2 years via GC's, and while people may say "you're just one of those kids that gets lucky 1 day, and thats it", i have also won Cities, States, and top cut regionals, so i'm not just some dumb lucksac. However this year, because Pokemon isnt my LIFE, and because I don't have the time/resources to travel to the middle of nowhere cities to beat some random people, I'm not at the top of this ranking system. Oh well, all i can say is this needs to stop somewhere, or else MANY people will quit coming to normal tournies, and just go to nats every year to get a trip due to it being the only legit way, and its sad when the onyl legit worlds qualifier tournament is a 696 player event in which you cannot help drops/bad matchups screwing you over when you end up 6-3 and miss by <5% resistance.

This is BTW not in any way meant to be offensive to those who ARE at the top of teh ratings system.

I just have 2 things to object to your logic, first, Miguel Angel has played at worlds and is one of the top players in Mexico, he has even beaten Pablo a couple of times, hence, he IS one of the best North American players (needless to remind Pablo swept both Regionals he did attended) And can say that Mexican metagame level IS undisputably high, lets just see Pablos run on other events, we know he has done great at EVERY event on the US, he has attended including worlds a couple years ago, and he has trouble breaking down Mexicos weird and complex metagame, though I concede the ponit that many a battle road player is not a hardcore player, and most of them CANT read in english, but I am really certain most of Mexican top players can give any player in the world a hard time.

And getting rid of events just so that it doesnt ruin ratingsd? my friend what you are asking here is more a reduction in K value of the events, which is evry likely to happen.

On a side note I would suggest moderating your opinion on others, since being clled ilitarate or other remarks sounds off very bad, please, refrain from such comments, hence we can establish a good comunication.

My Pro Point option for rankings would solve this delima for Battle rounds and such. Hope you read it. But I think it is a good way to have your cake and eat it too.

I like the pro point system actually, that would make it so those of us who get donked at BR*coughcough* dont' get hit to hard.

I know you didn't say it, but I just want to clear any possible accusations.

I was at all but one of the battle roads that Kettler won. I judged one, and he knocked me out of two. There was definitely no collusion going on at any TX BR's.

Once again, I know you didn't say there was. I just wanted to make sure you weren't hinting at it.

- Illiterate Texan

I agree 90%.

The only problem I have is this: If BRs are eliminated, what would happen between Regionals and Nationals? 2 months of empty space?

BRs will likely stay, with a K-value of 24 or so next year.

100% agree

Bring Gc's back, this points system is utter CRAP

I have been to worlds the past 2 years via GC's, and while people may say "you're just one of those kids that gets lucky 1 day, and thats it", i have also won Cities, States, and top cut regionals, so i'm not just some dumb lucksac. However this year, because Pokemon isnt my LIFE, and because I don't have the time/resources to travel to the middle of nowhere cities to beat some random people, I'm not at the top of this ranking system. Oh well, all i can say is this needs to stop somewhere, or else MANY people will quit coming to normal tournies, and just go to nats every year to get a trip due to it being the only legit way, and its sad when the onyl legit worlds qualifier tournament is a 696 player event in which you cannot help drops/bad matchups screwing you over when you end up 6-3 and miss by <5% resistance.

This is BTW not in any way meant to be offensive to those who ARE at the top of teh ratings system.

Agreed. Bring GC's back.

I agree with you. I don't think the K values were wise for fall BRs. Smaller attendances, and the sheer abundance.... with more points in the system than cities people made points that were much more important.

Actually this problem isn't as big as you make it seem. Its only a problem for a very select few who have spent tons of money traveling all over to get their ranking up early in the year. Br's were meant to have fun in, not give an easy ride to the top 32 players in ranking. Furthermore I don't like what your impying about the judges that judged.

Edit: I totally support however any effort in bringing back the GC's, but at the same time cutting the value for Br's

Last edited:
Simple solution to a complex problem: reduce the K value of BRs. If they're so easy to win (and, for *me* to have won one, they must be, right?), then reducing the K value to, say, half that of Cities would make them mean less in the long term.

I agree 90%.

The only problem I have is this: If BRs are eliminated, what would happen between Regionals and Nationals? 2 months of empty space?

BRs will likely stay, with a K-value of 24 or so next year.

Well, PTOs need SOME kind of break. I was talking with my PTO this past BR and here is the schedule for her upcoming year:

August: worlds
September/October:prereleases and fall BRs
November(late)-January:Cities
February/March:States/PREs
April:Regionals
May/June:Spring BRs
July:Nationals

If you failed to notice, that's every month of the year with at least 1 major tournament, and many times multiple tournaments or several important tournaments. There's also 4 sets worth of prereleases to squeeze in.

I think having a 2 month gap is fine. We had it years in the past after regionals. Like Chuck said, you can simply have national practice tournaments with no rating points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back