Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Spread: A(n) (Un)Viable Strategy in The Current Format?

drrty byl

Are spread strategies viable in the current format with cards like Poke Turn and Nidoqueen RR? We've got great cards like Gallade 四, Abomasnow, and Manectric PT, but they get shot down by Power Spray and Dialga G Lv.X. At US Nationals I watched a Gallade 四 player attempt to "Blade Storm" twice in a turn, only to be Power Sprayed both times.

Last edited:
yeah i think spread kinda died after SF came out. simply because of gengar and machamp getting quick kills.

but i guess i could contribute a little.
yanmega LA+amphy PL= bad power lock. and omastar+wager for the queen.

or tops+amphy PL+amphy SW= really bad trainer and power lock. and you get punished for supporters. and lets also forget that this strat requires 3 stage 2's for a moment.

Stormfront didn't kill spread. CC was DP-SF and Duskzong and other Dusknoir varients did very well. And I know from experience that my old Empoleon/Tentacruel/Omastar deck did quite well at that time, including (especially?) against the ghosts and Machamp.

Platinum, on the other hand, made spreading much harder. Dialga G and Power Spray combined to seriously hinder spread support. Poké Turn and Palkia G reduced the value of spreading. And the speed SPs made setting up Spread a lot less valuable.

Then, Rising Rivals nailed that coffin shut (with the still struggling spread decks inside) with Nidoqueen, Alakazam 4 (did anyone even use that?), and speed-supporting trainers.

i think i have a solution to the nidoqueen dilemma.

use dialga g Lv X, and being really original, use the probopass G with the most epic attacks ever and slowly kill the nidoqueen, with starmie LA to help snipe.

given about like 6 or 7 turns queen will be dead (and so will you)

oh yeah i didn't really think about dialga when making that post.

Infernape E4, Manectric PT and T-Tar are 3 very viable cards that spread.

^ Exactly. Manectric and Infernape 4 both did great at Nats.

If Nidoqueen hits the field, toss Dialga G out. Obviously you won't attack with Manectric, but Dialga G keeps spread alive.

Obama is very much alive as well.

gallade 4+froslass. if they play queen just bring it up with froslass and it's asleep, even if they wake up it has 3 retreat, then just retreat/poketurn froslass and own with gallade, they only need 2 damage on them with lucario GL, or 3 without it. it's a pretty good spread deck, after you kill queen you can bring up a claydol or something and do spread to all their bench while they can't retreat.

Froslass is a potentially underrated tech for situations like elekid just described, although there are a number of issues with it, including Unown G and Warp Point as well as the energy loss you'll take every time you switch back and forth between Froslass and Gallade

Luxray GL lv. X is a better, easier answer to Nidoqueen, and aside from that, it is just an all-around amazing card that gives any deck it is included in a brutal edge against virtually every single deck in the format. To get rid of Nidoqueen in one hit, Lucario is going to be necessary, and its inclusion along with Luxray aids in the Kingdra match-up as well, which is always nice. Kingdra is otherwise going to be problematic since it has such high HP, usually runs Super Scoop Up and/or Floatzel GL lv. X, swarms and recovers easily, etc..

To the OP: I don't know if your brother is going to continue the Gallade experiments, but I'm bent on working through this card's weaknesses (Nidoqueen, Power Spray) and coming up with something viable.

rofl @ Gallade getting power sprayed twice in a row. I am a fan of spread however I am not pursuing the idea any more thanks to good old Nidoqueen. I say unless you're running Dialga G, don't even try spreading.

Spread is hardly dead. I went 6-2 at nats in swiss, only losing in top 128 due to 45min NOT being enough time for a spread deck to work in best 2/3. :(

Froslass is a potentially underrated tech for situations like elekid just described, although there are a number of issues with it, including Unown G and Warp Point as well as the energy loss you'll take every time you switch back and forth between Froslass and Gallade

Luxray GL lv. X is a better, easier answer to Nidoqueen, and aside from that, it is just an all-around amazing card that gives any deck it is included in a brutal edge against virtually every single deck in the format. To get rid of Nidoqueen in one hit, Lucario is going to be necessary, and its inclusion along with Luxray aids in the Kingdra match-up as well, which is always nice. Kingdra is otherwise going to be problematic since it has such high HP, usually runs Super Scoop Up and/or Floatzel GL lv. X, swarms and recovers easily, etc..

To the OP: I don't know if your brother is going to continue the Gallade experiments, but I'm bent on working through this card's weaknesses (Nidoqueen, Power Spray) and coming up with something viable.

apparently froslass is also a great attacker using its second attack....i found out when i got donked by it at nats -_________-

yah, it can be fun VS non-SP decks, if you have skuntank out, then you can hit for 50. or you do 60 for 1 against infernape, and they can't get the return KO unless they wanna fire spin you, which will let you get a free KO with something else.

yeah, but they would have to have 2 energy+energy gain+energy in hand to pull that off, i'm saying you just pull this off sometime when they couldn't do that. i know they can flash impact a crobat G, but then you still have froslass and main attacker.

Spread is hardly dead. I went 6-2 at nats in swiss, only losing in top 128 due to 45min NOT being enough time for a spread deck to work in best 2/3. :(

Lol, that's so stupid I'm sorry. I don't get why it was SO hard for them to give us 15 extra minutes. I lost my game in T64 on time >_< I had plenty of options to turn it around if I had a turn or two.

On topic:

You guys realise how much Unown G destroys Froslass, right? Only the active or the benched needs an Unown G. The effective solution to Nidoqueen is simply Dialga G, which counters much more than just Nidoqueen as well. I can only see Froslass being good as a surprise tech, but once people find out you're playing it they won't fall for it.

Back